PDA

View Full Version : Rebuilding the Bills - The Draft- Rd 1

Dozerdog
12-01-2003, 07:34 PM
Rebuilding the Bills - Free Agency
Let's play- "Rebuild the Bills"

This will be a series of Polls to see what the overall consensus on what you- the fan- think the Bills will /or should do this offseason.

While it is impossible to predict what the Bills will do/where the Bills will pick/ how the team will finish, this exercise will attempt to see how the Bills can be rebuilt. Only realistic options will be put forth. (No Bill Parcells for coach, Bring in Brett Favre)

It should be fun- let's seee where it goes!

=====================

For argument's sake- The Bills will pick 12th or so.

When picking your first round choice- keep in mind who you selected in FA- If youy selected Terrell Owens or Jevon Kearse, you might want to pick another area to fill a need the Bills have for round 1.

Since I have the Bills picking 12th, I'll try to keep the choices by position instead of individuals. That way if the individual is selected, the position will be filled by next avaiulable selection

Dozerdog
12-01-2003, 07:52 PM
Note- The obvioius top selections like tackle Robert Gallery and WR Roy Williams are not offered- they won't be around after the top 10.

Dozerdog
12-01-2003, 08:56 PM
Note- Currently Mark Brunell is property of the Jaguars and is not a FA- they may try to trade him before cutting him outright.

If a trade occurs, they most likely will be looking for a first or second round pick. It's hard to say what they will be able to get- if anything

HenryRules
12-01-2003, 08:57 PM
I say Sean Taylor ... we need to get some playmakers in our secondary instead of just having guys that limit the oppositions plays (Clements occasionally makes plays, but not in enough games).

I also have us signing one of the non-Winfield free agent CB's (too many factors to say which one) and a DE (Hicks preferably), so those weren't need positions.

With Taylor, Clements, and one of the top-of-the-line CB's that are available plus an improved pass rush, our D would finally earn the reputation it's gotten this year.

DraftBoy
12-01-2003, 09:03 PM
FS Sean Taylor

Dozerdog
12-01-2003, 09:17 PM
I'm on the Sean Taylor bandwagon, addressing through FA Guard, DE, and resigning Winfield

Tatonka
12-01-2003, 09:18 PM
sean taylor is my pick for sure.. as i put in my write up

gordong
12-01-2003, 09:31 PM
Originally posted by Tatonka
sean taylor is my pick for sure.. as i put in my write up

I agree with the rest of you...Taylor is a good player and would love to have him ....But i believe Football is won in the trenches....I get the best big man I can. off guard, or DE.

In FA I got a new center but still need to address guard....

Also need a speed WR.... but hoping for one in FA, Rooks take a couple years to adjust to pro game (95%) of the time.

Novacane
12-01-2003, 09:38 PM
We need a pass rusher. Will Smith and I don't care about the "he's to small" arguement. They said the same thing about Freeney.

Dozerdog
12-01-2003, 09:51 PM
If Taylor is gone, I'd go with Will Smith too.

Tatonka
12-01-2003, 09:59 PM
Originally posted by gordong
I agree with the rest of you...Taylor is a good player and would love to have him ....But i believe Football is won in the trenches....I get the best big man I can. off guard, or DE.

yeah, but i think that it is much easier to find a solid trench guy in the 2nd or even 3rd rounds.. like jonas jennings.. it is so hard to find an absolute difference maker.. and taylor is that guy.. he makes more plays than any player i have ever watched in college football.. including roy williams and ed reed.. the guy just seems to be destined for greatness..

Dozerdog
12-01-2003, 10:06 PM
Allthouth the one play that sticks in my mind- and I know this is NOT indicitive of Taylor- was in the West Virginia game.

2 minutes left, and the WV RB breaks down the sideline and just trampled Taylor on his way to a big TD. Remember the Shockey TD run in preseason MNF last year? Same thing- stiff armed him to the ground then he just ran over the top of him.

I think the kid running the ball was the son of Otis Wilson, LB of the Bears during their monster 1986 season. Miami marched down the field in the final minute and avoided the upset- but the thing that I still see in my mind was Taylor getting stomped on.

The Spaz
12-01-2003, 10:24 PM
Sean Taylor=Playmaker+6'3" 225 lbs

http://graphics.fansonly.com/photos/schools/mifl/sports/m-footbl/03-04roster/TaylorSean02.jpg
Sean Taylor

http://hurricanesports.ocsn.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/taylor_sean00.html

TigerJ
12-01-2003, 10:34 PM
I answered Will Smith, but a lot depends on where the Bills draft. The win on Sunday dropped them about 4 spots. If they lose the rest of the way and climb back up into the tenth spot or there abouts, Smith is probably a reach. Sean Taylor is probably the guy in that case. I don't really see the Bills going QB in round one.

DraftBoy
12-01-2003, 11:02 PM
Will Smith is another intriguing prospect it all depends on whether or not your opinion of him is product of the system or no? Hes always had a solid line, but always been the standout, either way I think he should be a good NFL player.

RedEyE
12-01-2003, 11:36 PM
I covered OL, DE and WR in Free Agency without resigning Winfield. I need to fill that hole. I'll take either CB Marlin Jackson or Chris Gamble if availble at the 12th overall pick.

Tatonka
12-01-2003, 11:47 PM
Originally posted by Dozerdog
Allthouth the one play that sticks in my mind- and I know this is NOT indicitive of Taylor- was in the West Virginia game.

2 minutes left, and the WV RB breaks down the sideline and just trampled Taylor on his way to a big TD. Remember the Shockey TD run in preseason MNF last year? Same thing- stiff armed him to the ground then he just ran over the top of him.

I think the kid running the ball was the son of Otis Wilson, LB of the Bears during their monster 1986 season. Miami marched down the field in the final minute and avoided the upset- but the thing that I still see in my mind was Taylor getting stomped on.

are you talking about when quincy wilson steam rolled someone.. are you sure that was taylor? i could have sworn that was sykes.. the SS for miami..

regardless.. taylor is know as a huge hitter as well as a playmaker.. so like you said.. that play was not indicitive of his overall play..

he also make a horrible mistake on a punt return, bobbling a kickoff in the tennessee game that cost them the game.. but sometimes great player make mistakes trying to make too much happen..

i would love to see us with a stud at FS.. so few teams have that.. and if you look at all the teams in the league with playmaking FSs.. there seems to be a strong corelation with the defenses being dominant too..

reed - baltimore, williams - dallas, dawkins - philly,

ryven
12-02-2003, 07:39 AM
FS-taylor

SABURZFAN
12-02-2003, 07:51 AM
it's too early to tell.

JayWood
12-02-2003, 07:53 AM
Add one more vote to the Taylor column!!

justasportsfan
12-02-2003, 08:18 AM
Originally posted by Fairway To Green
We need a pass rusher. Will Smith and I don't care about the "he's to small" arguement. They said the same thing about Freeney.

Eric Flowers?

Did anyone see that small Giants DE (lb?) run past Mike Williams for a sack? Mike Williams can part the Red Sea when running. This whale is always beaten by a smaller fish though when pass blocking.

R. Rich
12-02-2003, 10:47 AM
I'm on the Sean Taylor bandwagon, addressing through FA Guard, DE, and resigning Winfield

Same here. Arguably the best overall player in college football now. Why not take him?

They said the same thing about Erik Flowers too. I'm not saying he's another Flowers, but I'm also not saying he's another Freeney either.

Taylor could very well be gone by the 8th pick. If so, and we draft 12th, we should get the best DL available. Maybe Randy Starks of MD, though I've seen mocks that have him higher than 12th also.

Originally posted by Tatonka
yeah, but i think that it is much easier to find a solid trench guy in the 2nd or even 3rd rounds.. like jonas jennings.. it is so hard to find an absolute difference maker.. and taylor is that guy.. he makes more plays than any player i have ever watched in college football.. including roy williams and ed reed.. the guy just seems to be destined for greatness..

Amen to that. Here's why I said Taylor and my reasons:

NEED #1: A pass rushing DE (I took care of that in Dozer's other post with Eric Hicks; no need to use our top pick here).

NEED#2: Better interior OL (signed Cory Withrow to replace Teague; do not need to use the first pick on a guard-we'll get them in round 2 and 3).

NEED #3: Playmaking WR (signed Dennis Northcutt; no need to use our top pick here).

NEED #4: TE (here I made a judgment call: Taylor or Winslow? To me, Taylor will have a better impact for us and could be the final piece of the puzzle defensively along with Hicks).

NEED #5: DT depth (another judgment call made here: Tommie Harris will be gone as some mocks have him first overall. Same with Wilfork. Starks is a heckuva athlete, but may also be gone and is not as big an impact player as Taylor).

NEED #6: QB of the future (With Manning and Roethlisberger gone, there is no QB left worth debating over Taylor. Period!!).

NEED #7: Safety. DING DING DING DING DING!!!!!! Here's our winner!

Ron C.
12-02-2003, 03:31 PM
If Manning or Gallery are there when we pick, you have to consider them IMO (several mocks have both or either dropping into the 8-12 range). Realistically, I would love to see Sean Taylor or Will Smith with our pick.

Damien Woody would look awful nice as well!

Dozerdog
12-02-2003, 03:48 PM
Keep them coming!

socalfan
12-03-2003, 01:23 AM

Originally posted by TigerJ
I answered Will Smith, but a lot depends on where the Bills draft. The win on Sunday dropped them about 4 spots. If they lose the rest of the way and climb back up into the tenth spot or there abouts, Smith is probably a reach. Sean Taylor is probably the guy in that case. I don't really see the Bills going QB in round one.

Originally posted by Winfield_26
Will Smith is another intriguing prospect it all depends on whether or not your opinion of him is product of the system or no? Hes always had a solid line, but always been the standout, either way I think he should be a good NFL player.

Will Smith did not look good in the Michigan - Ohio State game. He had 1 tackle while being blocked by a tackle that is not even rated for being drafted in the first 3 rounds. There was no need for UM to double team him.

The Spaz
12-03-2003, 09:58 AM
Originally posted by socalfan

Will Smith did not look good in the Michigan - Ohio State game. He had 1 tackle while being blocked by a tackle that is not even rated for being drafted in the first 3 rounds. There was no need for UM to double team him.

This is true hence Chris Perry ran all over their defense!

Dozerdog
12-05-2003, 07:41 AM
Out of 37 votes so far, Sean Taylor gets about 1/3rd of them. If he's not available and one of the Franchise QB's is- (Manning or Roethlesberger) the consensus is to grab one.

If none of the three are left, the fall back position is to go after a DE.

hurls
12-05-2003, 07:44 AM
that rothenhamburger looked good

Tatonka
12-05-2003, 07:52 AM
Originally posted by slruh
that rothenhamburger looked good
:lol: