PDA

View Full Version : Kipers latest chat wrap on the top dogs

Tatonka
12-05-2003, 08:30 AM
Got this off another board i use..

Kiper hosted another audio chat (it's free) today and I wanted to post some tidbits from it since we're getting to that interesting time of year:

Sean Taylor (S), Miami -- Clearly the best defensive back and likely to declare. Rare ability, equivalent to Ray Lewis in terms of relative grade and would battle for a top 3 spot in this draft. At worst, Taylor is a top 5-8 pick.

Kellen Winslow Jr (TE), Miami -- Ditto (he said that two Hurricanes could be battling for top 3 spots

Larry Fitzgerald (WR), Pitt -- Kiper thinks he will be in this draft and he'd be the only WR able to dethrone Roy Williams atop the WR mix.

Roy Williams (WR), Texas -- No WR aside from Fitz will unseat him because of his speed. Mike Williams, and Mark Clayton would be first rounders but no way can they unseat Roy. Williams (Roy) will be a top 10 pick regardless of whether Fitzgerald comes out.

Kevin Jones (RB), VaTech -- Enters his big board at number 8 and could be in the mix for the top RB off the board although Kiper thinks he'll fall into the mid to first round if/when Cadillac Williams, Steven Jackson and Cedric Benson declare. He noted that Jones has elite ability but runs a bit upright.

Phil Rivers (QB) NC State, Matt Schaub (QB) Virginia, and B. VanPelt (QB) Colorado State have all worked their way into the 2nd round mix. Kiper thinks it's actually shaping up to be a solid QB class.

Cadillac Williams (RB) Auburn -- A pure runner, almost certainly a first rounder but needs to show he can be a consistent blocker and receiver. Williams isn't as polished in those areas as some of the other junior prospects.

Rashaun Woods (WR) Oklahoma State -- Didn't have great metrics against Nebraska, Oklahoma and another big game. Probably more like a 2nd rounder now.

J.P. Losman (QB) Tulane -- A clear first round QB prospect

Jason White (QB) Oklahoma -- Given his accuracy and production, he's worked into a 3rd/4th round draft pick, despite not being considered draftable heading into this year.

Michael Boulware (LB) Florida State -- Solid player, probably a 3rd rounder

Greg Jones (RB) Florida State -- Has talent, but still have questions about his health after the injury, YPC way down this year. Given the talent at RB this year if juniors declare, Greg is probably a 3rd rounder, maybe 2nd.

Ben Troupe (TE) Florida -- Number six on the big board right now, will come down a bit as juniors declare but he's gifted and a certain first rounder. Has some concentration lapses but that has improved this season. Winslow will go higher, but Troupe is a solid solid TE.

Michael Clayton (WR), Oklahoma -- Definitely a first rounder, where in that mix depends on how fast he runs. May stay in school, and wouldn't be hurt because OK has a fantastic young QB taking over next year.

OK...that wraps up the chat. You can access it yourself if you want http://insider.espn.go.com/melkiper/index.html

http://footballguys.net/forum/index.php?act=ST&f=2&t=56725

couple things here.. this is going to be what seems like and EXTREMELY deep offensive draft.. tons of qbs, wrs, and especially RBs... makes me really wish we didnt grab mcgahee last year (not that there was anything better to get at that point).. but what really scares me is that New England WILL DEFINATELY get a good rb this year.. even if it is greg jones, who is a beast, in the 2nd-3rd rounds

we will definately have to move up to get taylor. but then again.. people drop on draft day for no good reason.. they say winslow is a top 3 guy, but shockey was hyped this much and he went at number 14. ed reed also was that good, but fell too... hopefully we get lucky....

i also noticed my boy van pelt is making some noise.. love that kid.. i found it a little hard to believe that he would be a ufa like some said on the board.. that kid can play ball as good as any qb i have seen...

you guys are going to think this is nuts.. but this is actually a great year to trade henry, if they feel mcgahee is the real deal.. then draft another strong rb in the 2nd or 3rd.. because there will be some guys there that should have gone higher.

DraftBoy
12-05-2003, 09:24 AM
Not a crazy thought but also not a likely one. I was hoping Rivers stock would stay down to 3rd round level, b.c I really dont want to pick a 2nd round QB. Well I guess this could be easier. Take Rivers rd. 2, and Kemo (OG Utah) in the 3rd.

Tatonka
12-05-2003, 10:20 AM
i want lavalais over rivers. no if ands or buts.. if rivers is gone.. wait till later and grab van pelt.

Tatonka
12-05-2003, 10:21 AM
also, with harris's performance.. his stock may drop some.. so if we do take him, it may be later in the draft.

Dozerdog
12-05-2003, 10:28 AM
Geesh- Kiper treats the draft like there are 50 selections per round. Van pelt in the 2nd? No way.

If guys like that go that high, maybe Roethlisberger or Manning do slip to us. Those two would be the only offensive players I would grab in Rd 1.

Watch the Pats- it will be interesing what they do with all those picks in this year's draft.

Would you trade down with them if offered some high picks? Interesting question

Tatonka
12-05-2003, 10:34 AM
the pats are going to be so friggin stocked after this draft.. it makes me sick.. they are going to get

1 - premier RB
2 - premier OL
3 - Premier DL
4 - Premier LB

all in the first 2 rounds.. that is discusting.. they are as good as they are right now.. and they are only getting better.

Tatonka
12-05-2003, 10:36 AM
van pelt at round 2 is obviously high.. BUT.. you guys were telling me that van pelt would be an undrafted free agent, even after improving his mechanics and reads so much this year.. i thought that was extremely low.

i would say a safe assumption imho is that the kid is off the board by early in day two... an that is about where i pictured him going.

Tatonka
12-05-2003, 10:39 AM
you guys are going to call me crazy for this comparison, but van pelt plays alot like mike vick.. i watched vick in every game while i was at viriginia tech.. i know him about as well as any qb in the nfl.

van pelt is a VERY good runner. he has a very strong arm. his accuracy is a bit off (like vicks was) BUT he doesnt force balls into traffic and cost himself much because he is moble.. he is not as fast as vick, but he runs a legit 4.5-4.6 and on top of all that.. he is a leader.

Dozerdog
12-05-2003, 10:43 AM
OK OK OK!

Can i be first?

You're crazy:D

Dozerdog
12-05-2003, 10:44 AM
I'll admit the kid has dramatically improved and will probably get drafted- but I don't see him as any more than a career backup- AJ Feely type.

R. Rich
12-05-2003, 10:47 AM
I've heard Van Pelt could be anywhere from a 5th rounder to an UFA. Who knows what will happen? I do know that he's a decent pick in the later rounds for whoever could get him.

eyedog
12-05-2003, 11:05 AM
BVP is not going on the first day of the draft. No way we get a sniff of Manning or Rothliseberger unless we trade up into top-5, or maybe at least top-10. Sd, Pitt, Oak, Ariz are teams off the top of my head who will be drafting ahead of the Bills and will probably go qb.
Kiper has everyone going in the top-3. Last I knew that was like three players. He has about ten in there.

TigerJ
12-05-2003, 11:20 AM
I think one or the other of those two guys could be had between 5 and 10. I don't think Buffalo will be picking either unless TD is so convinced the guy that's there is far and away the best player available.

Tatonka
12-05-2003, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by Dozerdog
OK OK OK!

Can i be first?

You're crazy:D

you cant say that until you see him play in the nfl, jerky.

Dozerdog
12-05-2003, 11:36 AM
Sorry for getting way off topic on this Tatonka- I'll split this out into it's own thread

http://billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php?s=&threadid=33842

Tatonka
12-05-2003, 11:56 AM
this is the latest mock from gbnd... they have lavalais in the first round now.. damn it.. and taylor going at number 8. this one pisses me off..

http://www.gbnreport.com/2004projection.htm

Dozerdog
12-05-2003, 12:10 PM
Bills at 16?

Plus, only Manning as the sole QB picked in Rd 1?

Holy crap- imagine if Roetlisberger gets to us in Rd 2?

In second thought- this is a real pain in the ass typing his name over and over. I can't imagine doing that for 12 years

ryven
12-05-2003, 12:14 PM
good thing is it looks like Rothlisberger will be around and could be a huge pick up for if we choose to get a DE in FA considering this years good DE are like last years average DE but thats IMO. Infact this draft does not look that impressive for a defensive stand point. The money I beleive is best spent on offense to pick up OL and a QB for the future or a deep threat WR. I am pleased with the team we have, I just feel that our o-line just needs help and if we address that throught FA and draft were superbowl contenders.

Dozerdog
12-05-2003, 12:18 PM
In the mock above, more defense went in Rd 1 than offense. Mabe a product of the offensive depth, but it will be deep all around.

This could be looked upon like the 83 draft was with Elway, Marino, Kelly, Dickerson, ect.....

ryven
12-05-2003, 12:23 PM
and we picked kelly with our first pick do you think we should pick ben in the first?

ryven
12-05-2003, 12:26 PM
he looks like a Solid all around QB and the only reasaon I can conseve(sp?) him not going round 1 is where he went to school

Tatonka
12-05-2003, 12:26 PM
no

Dozerdog
12-05-2003, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by ryven
and we picked kelly with our first pick do you think we should pick ben in the first?

Kelly was the second of our 2 #1 picks that year- TE Tony Hunter was the first
(NEVER DRAFT TE"s #1)

We got that pick from Cleveland in the Tom Cousineau trade, the #1 overall pick in 1979 draft that chose to go to Canada. We got that pick from the 49ers for OJ Simpson.

I'd consider Big Ben if the Bills were drafting mid to late 1st round via a strong finish or trading down. It depends who's gone when it's our turn

ryven
12-05-2003, 01:12 PM
another QB worth a look is Cody Pickett he needs some work and he might be around in the 3rd he got a good arm and he is mobile.

eyedog
12-05-2003, 01:29 PM
Kiper has obviosly has not included Rothliseberger because he hasn't declared his intentions yet. I guarantee you he goes 1st rd.

juice
12-05-2003, 11:50 PM
Rivers in the second round, but what about trading henry for a top 10 pick, someone has to go. ACC

venis2k1
12-06-2003, 12:10 AM
trading henry before willis gets a whole year under his belt is crazy.

Bert102176
12-06-2003, 07:44 PM
eyedog the way we've been playing, maybe we won't have to trade up