PDA

View Full Version : Offseason Free Agency/Draft Scenarios

R. Rich
12-05-2003, 12:41 PM
Scenario #5 (http://www.twobillsdrive.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=15571)

Also includes a link to my scenarios 1-4.

ShadowHawk7
12-05-2003, 01:48 PM
nahh, not as good as the one before (scenarios 3 and 4)

Dozerdog
12-05-2003, 02:00 PM
Originally posted by R. Rich
Scenario #5 (http://www.twobillsdrive.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=15571)

Coach

Hire Nick Saban. He's got NFL experience and has done a great job with the programs at LSU and Michigan State.

Free Agency

1. Sign WR Darrel Jackson of Seattle
Jackson gives us a playmaker to add to Shaw, Reed, and Moulds.

2. Sign C Mike Flynn of Baltimore
Flynn is a dramatic improvement over Teague and will help stabilize the interior OL.

3. Sign CB Champ Bailey
Bailey and Clements at CB? With an improved pass rush (we'll get to that)? WOW!

NFL Draft

(Trade down in the first round to acquire additional 3rd round pick; estimated compensation for Olandis Gary as a 7th rounder; lost our 7th in Campbell trade)

1st round: DE Kenechi Udeze of USC
Kenechi has good size (6-4, 285) and speed. Amazing upside; he's still not near his prime yet!

2nd round: QB Phillip Rivers of NC State
Rivers has the size and the skills to do well in the NFL.

*3rd round: S Madieu Williams of Maryland
This guy has good size (6-1, 190) and can cover! He could be the playmaker we need in our secondary. A good value pick. Acquired with the extra draft pick in the third.

3rd round: OG Chris Kemoeatu of Utah
I've been talking about this guy for a while now; he's huge with a nasty attitude. Just what the doctor ordered.

4th round: OG Elton Brown of Virginia
Has good size at 6-6 and 330. Good athleticism for someone his size as well. Could be a really nice player and a great value in the 4th.

5th round: LB Maurice Jones of South Florida
Jones has great athleticism and can really help us on special teams, not to mention in the pass rush.

6th round: TE Bobby Blilzzard of North Carolina
Blizzard was a WR when at Kentucky before transferring to Chapel Hill. He's a good receiver who could become an option on third down.

*7th round: DT Brandon Calton of East Tennessee State
Calton has nice size (6-4, 295) and can really make things happen (this year, he forced 2 fumbles, recovered 2 more and had a blocked extra point on top of 75 tackles, 15.5 tackles for loss and 4.5 sacks ). Great value in the 7th.

This scenario is not my favorite of the 5, but does address the need areas and adds more talent and depth in areas where we need it. Thoughts?

Rivers in the second? no way-

R. Rich
12-05-2003, 02:01 PM
True. Not my favorite one. I'm trying to address the same needs while coming up with different ways to address them. This one works, but we can do better (I like 1 and 4 the best).

Dozerdog
12-05-2003, 02:34 PM
How about Saban to coach, Woody and or Stinchcomb in FA, Winfield or equivilent at CB, re-sign Gash at FB, DE in FA (Wistrom or Hicks) Roethlesberger Rd 1, Best DT/ De Rd 2 (Lavalais, Tubbs, Harriot), and Safety Williamsd from Maryland Rd3? I'd be happy with the guy from Utah as well

DraftBoy
12-05-2003, 04:43 PM
Ben will be gone long before our Rd. 1 pick, and if we want Rivers then we are going to have to take him in rd.2 b.c his stock is skyrocketing right now.

R. Rich
12-05-2003, 05:56 PM
Originally posted by Winfield_26
Ben will be gone long before our Rd. 1 pick, and if we want Rivers then we are going to have to take him in rd.2 b.c his stock is skyrocketing right now.

I'm not sure what you're responding to here. I have us taking Udeze in the first in the latest scenario, not Roethlisberger. I also have us taking Rivers in the 2nd.

DraftBoy
12-05-2003, 05:57 PM
was responding to Dozer, sorry I should of quoted

R. Rich
12-05-2003, 06:00 PM
Originally posted by Winfield_26
was responding to Dozer, sorry I should of quoted

Sorry 'bout that. I didn't really read Dozer's response.

Originally posted by Dozerdog
How about Saban to coach, Woody and or Stinchcomb in FA, Winfield or equivilent at CB, re-sign Gash at FB, DE in FA (Wistrom or Hicks) Roethlesberger Rd 1, Best DT/ De Rd 2 (Lavalais, Tubbs, Harriot), and Safety Williamsd from Maryland Rd3? I'd be happy with the guy from Utah as well

I'd rather have Jackson at WR and Bailey at CB. Flynn is a very good center for the Ravens and would cost us less than Woody, thus freeing more money for Jackson and Bailey. We can get our guards in the draft.