What's with all these 'rebuilding the bills' threads?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ublinkwescore
    Sab and TD are insignificant
    • Sep 2002

What's with all these 'rebuilding the bills' threads?

I don't see why we need to completely rebuild. According to clump, we've got the money this offseason to keep winfield and still be active in the FA market - that should mean our D should stay intact unless something happens (or happened like when winfield made some 'detrimental' comments about some unnamed free agents we acquired not panning out and TD decides to get rid of him for that reason).

Yeah, our O could use some adjustments - mostly on the line, maybe a QB protege for Drew to groom, and a WR. Other then that, there isn't really any reason for us to believe we need to completely overhaul this team. I think that if we had an Oline that gave drew some time, and opened up holes for Henry, we should be dangerous on both sides of the ball. Obviously GW and KG need to go.

If I were TD, I would look to the FA market for WRs and Olinemen (at all positions - RB is getting old and we need to groom someone to plug in behind him) and draft a QB with our first or second round pick, and then add depth through the draft at offensive positions of need (again mostly oline, slight WR needs)
    www.gamersconspiracy.com - where gamers conspire
  • ublinkwescore
    • Sep 2002

I'd also say it's only time for TD to hit the road if, and only if he tries to bring in another lameduck that bends over and kisses his @$$ on command. If TD brings someone in that gets results, and has another Cowher like powerstruggle, it's definitely time for TD to go. No team deserves a Lombardi Trophy more then the Bills and if TD can't put that above his own agenda then the hell with him.

Comment

• Dozerdog
      In a jar, on a shelf, next to the unopened Miracle Whip.

Administrator Emeritus
      • Jul 2002

No one says tear the thing apart- except coaching.

I put together something fun - a series of polls where people can walk through the process and get the players they think we need.

The Offensive line needs the most work. and a DE is needed. Other than that, some tweaking here and there and we should be oK

Comment

• ublinkwescore
        • Sep 2002

Yeah, that's exactly what I was trying to point out - I see no reason why Our O can't be back up and running effectively like it was earlier in the year and half of last year. We just need to pick the right O Coordinator that can get the Oline to block, and open holes for Henry/McGahee. Above all else, we need someone that will be patient, and try to pound the ball for 2/3'ds of the game to wear the opp's D down.

Comment

• HenryRules
          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by ublinkwescore
          Yeah, that's exactly what I was trying to point out - I see no reason why Our O can't be back up and running effectively like it was earlier in the year and half of last year. We just need to pick the right O Coordinator that can get the Oline to block, and open holes for Henry/McGahee. Above all else, we need someone that will be patient, and try to pound the ball for 2/3'ds of the game to wear the opp's D down.
          I don't think our O has anywhere near the talent to play like it did at the beginning of the year. I think we got fortunate playing the NE D when they were completely deflated and we had a fluke game in game #2.

Our O is about 3 players away (one WR, one OL and another OL/TE depending on where we want our strenghts) to be a top-10 O.

People have overestimated the talent on the Bills O for a long time ... we have one of the worst receiving corps in the NFL (Moulds is great, but teams can double him and everyone else is at best a good (not great) #3), a poor OL, a #10 QB and a #10 RB ... how does that not require a lot of additions to be competitive?

Comment

• losman2evans
            • Aug 2002

If we can increase our OL
            add a solid number 2 receiver

a Kellen Winslow Jy-type of TE

This would help us become a top 10 balanced offense

a top 5 defense and a top 10 offense= playoff contender

Comment

• ajsdx
              • Aug 2003

Originally posted by ublinkwescore
              RB is getting old and we need to groom someone to plug in behind him
              Henry is getting old? He's not that old, or perhaps I missed something.

Either way, I agree with the other threads. It's pretty obvious what needs to happen in Buffalo. The OL and DLs (although there are very few teams that are happy with their lines, since they're so critical), and the coaching. Although I do find it interesting that so many big-name analysts thinkingg GW isn't half-bad (John Clayton and Peter King) and was done in by factors out of his control. Mighty Mouse is not a priority.

Comment

• ajsdx
                • Aug 2003

And anyway, we already have Willis to groom him, if his knee is as good as advertised.

Comment

• ublinkwescore
                  • Sep 2002

I meant Ruben Brown (I'm totally happy with TH - I blame 90% of our woes on our OL).

Comment

• ajsdx
                    • Aug 2003

Ahh, my bad. I haven't been here long enough to have picked up on that one. I was wondering why you wondered about our RB when you were talking about OL.

Comment

• The_Philster
                      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by bledsoe2moulds
                      a Kellen Winslow Jy-type of TE
                      Why are people so hung up on getting a TE when we have two starters at the position already...and Campbell signed an extension earlier in the season.
                      The Buffalo Pro Cheer Blog...Positive coverage of Buffalo's Pro Cheerleaders since 2001!

Comment

• losman2evans
                        • Aug 2002

we don't have a te who gets separation

ala heap, gonzalez, shockey

it is thought that winslow may be one of these rare te's

A dominant te can really open up the passing game

Comment

• HenryRules
                          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by The_Philster

Why are people so hung up on getting a TE when we have two starters at the position already...and Campbell signed an extension earlier in the season.
                          \

I think our TE's suck.

Off the top of my head, I would rather have:
                          Tony Gonzalez
                          Jeremy Shockey
                          Todd Heap
                          Marcus Pollard
                          Shannon Sharpe
                          Bubba Franks
                          Chad Lewis
                          Frank Wycheck
                          Alge Curmpler
                          Freddie Jones
                          Randy McMichael
                          Ernie Conwell
                          Jim Kleinsasser
                          Anthony Becht
                          Ken Dilger
                          David Sloan
                          Christian Fauria or Daniel Graham
                          Jay Riemersma
                          Matt Schobel or Reggie Kelly

I don't know the TE's for a bunch of teams, but that list there puts our TE's as about 22 or 23rd best in the NFL I think ... and they're a significant grade below the top 15 or so.

Comment

• The_Philster
                            • Jul 2002

I'd prefer an all-around TE who can catch AND block over some guy playing TE who's just a big WR.
                            The Buffalo Pro Cheer Blog...Positive coverage of Buffalo's Pro Cheerleaders since 2001!

Comment

Working...
                            X