PDA

View Full Version : Bills move to first in D

ryven
12-08-2003, 02:26 PM
according to this article on the Buffalo news we wet from third to first. Heres the article:

http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial/20031208/2053458.asp

The Bills outrushed the Jets, 203-88. And the Jets' offense was throttled so thoroughly that the Bills' defense moved up from third to first in the NFL rankings after Sunday's games.

IHateTheDullphins
12-08-2003, 02:29 PM
YESSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!! Our D is SOOOOOO NASTY!!!!!!!!!!!!

:bf1:

Tatonka
12-08-2003, 02:39 PM
nope.. still in second.

http://www.nfl.com/stats/teamsort/NFL/DEF-TOTAL/2003/regular?sort_col_1=4

IHateTheDullphins
12-08-2003, 02:41 PM
Awww Crap. :sadwalk:

Tatonka
12-08-2003, 02:49 PM
crazy thing is.. if you look at it.. the bills are first in pass defense.. and about 10th in sacks, with 30.. and the sack leader is baltimore.. and they only have 37.. so we are right there...

and everyone was talking about how tough tennessees run defense is.. well that is based on yards per game averages.. and they average 79 yards against them per game.. but they have put a whooping on some people so they have 80 less carries against them.. the telling thing to look at is the yards per attempt.. and the titans allow 3.6 yards per carry.. that is good for number 6 in the league.. the bills are 5th at 3.5

this defense is damn damn good.

Tatonka
12-08-2003, 02:51 PM
jesus.. buffalo is also second in scoring defense.. behind tampa... allowing only 15.4 a game..

in really didnt realize they were that good.

Tatonka
12-08-2003, 02:53 PM
http://www.nfl.com/stats/teamsort/NFL/DEF-TURNOVERS/2003/regular?sort_col_1=9

this is the one that really hurts us... and it is also why our defense is not thought of as great like some others are.. turnover margin.. we are -11 (3rd worse in front of arizona and the giants).. that is due to the defenses inability to get picks and force fumbles, and drew bledsoe's turnovers (ok.. henry has one!)

IHateTheDullphins
12-08-2003, 02:56 PM
We moved up 8 spots in one game on the sack list. Not bad at all.

We went from 18th to 10th. Now we just have to do something about this turnover problem. It's not a huge deal, seeing as how we're a yard or two away from being the TOP RANKED DEFENSE, but it would be nice to see more takeaways.

I've noticed how we've really cut down on penalties quite a bit too. Doesn't get mentioned too much but it is a big improvement.

juice
12-08-2003, 03:10 PM
Originally posted by IHateTheDullphins
We moved up 8 spots in one game on the sack list. Not bad at all.

We went from 18th to 10th. Now we just have to do something about this turnover problem. It's not a huge deal, seeing as how we're a yard or two away from being the TOP RANKED DEFENSE, but it would be nice to see more takeaways.

I've noticed how we've really cut down on penalties quite a bit too. Doesn't get mentioned too much but it is a big improvement.

So keep Greg Williams if he wins out? Sounds like your giving him credit were credit is due. He is the head coach over the defense too.

justasportsfan
12-08-2003, 03:18 PM
This ranking is what might keep GW in Buffalo.

IHateTheDullphins
12-08-2003, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by juice

So keep Greg Williams if he wins out? Sounds like your giving him credit were credit is due. He is the head coach over the defense too.

All BS aside juice, I really don't have a problem with keeping GW. He's had this team for three years, and never have they quit on him. KG is th main culprit, but to be honest, if he was installing gameplans all year like the one against the Jets, I wouldn't have a problem with him either. It's hard to argue results, but it's too bad it took this long.

ryven
12-08-2003, 03:37 PM
The players seem to like GW but Nobody like KG so if they got rid of KG and either promoted steckle or brought some one of quality in we would be superbowl contenders.

justasportsfan
12-08-2003, 03:41 PM

All BS aside juice, I really don't have a problem with keeping GW. He's had this team for three years, and never have they quit on him. KG is th main culprit, but to be honest, if he was installing gameplans all year like the one against the Jets, I wouldn't have a problem with him either. It's hard to argue results, but it's too bad it took this long.

Problem is, GW 0-2 in picking Offensive Coords. If we keep him who's gonna pick the 3rd one?

TedMock
12-08-2003, 03:56 PM

That's exactly how I feel. I'm not 100% down on GW but I am on KG. The defense has drastically improved but the offense, overall, has gotten worse due to KG's stubborn ass. I don't want him back at all because I don't think he'll run an entire season utilizing the strengths of this team. I think he's coaching to save his ass at this point and not running his game plan. If he's retained he'll try the same stupid s**t next year.

The_Philster
12-08-2003, 04:11 PM

They were playing like they quit during the middle of the season. :scratch:

BAM
12-08-2003, 05:47 PM
and Sam Adams has not lost anything. I bought his jersey at the beginning of the season and he has not disappointed :up:

We need to keep this D together for the years to come.. could be one of the best ever.

helmetguy
12-08-2003, 08:36 PM
Indeed, the D is coming together, and pretty damned well at that! I'm sure that it could be even more imposing if we were playing from the lead a lot more in the middle and end of games. Having a lead allows for a more aggressive scheme of attack, which then increases the possibility of turnovers. What can we do to achieve this?

GW still hasn't done enough to warrant his return next year. KG's days are numbered. For this team to get where we all want it to go, we have to have a HC who is at least AWARE of what the OFFENSIVE personnel are capable of, and INSIST that his OC exploit those capabilities. It sounds funny, but a competent offense can be a HUGE asset to an already good defense. The trick to pulling this off would be to find a HC who would accept some of the assistants we already have-JG (I know, I busted on him a lot in the past), LeBeau (if he doesn't move up to HC) and Steckel all come to mind as assistants/coordinators worth keeping.

losman2evans
12-08-2003, 08:59 PM
So what was Winfield yammering about- he said something to the effect we brought in all these hight priced free agents who haven't performed ala Washington Redskins in the past.

Not performed? We are number 2 in the league!

All I can say is if we can get some offensive free agents who are as unproductive next year- We would be in good shape.
I hope what I just said is as clear as mud : )

BTW-GW also should be given some credit for improving the special teams.

TigerJ
12-08-2003, 09:37 PM
As the sacks go up so does the possibility of turnovers as well, helmetguy. This defence is getting very close to being incredible.

LtBillsFan66
12-08-2003, 09:45 PM
Originally posted by Tatonka
http://www.nfl.com/stats/teamsort/NFL/DEF-TURNOVERS/2003/regular?sort_col_1=9

this is the one that really hurts us... and it is also why our defense is not thought of as great like some others are.. turnover margin.. we are -11 (3rd worse in front of arizona and the giants).. that is due to the defenses inability to get picks and force fumbles, and drew bledsoe's turnovers (ok.. henry has one!)

That's a huge factor right there...

BADTHINGSMAN
12-08-2003, 11:44 PM
Originally posted by bledsoe2moulds
So what was Winfield yammering about- he said something to the effect we brought in all these hight priced free agents who haven't performed ala Washington Redskins in the past.

Not performed? We are number 2 in the league!

All I can say is if we can get some offensive free agents who are as unproductive next year- We would be in good shape.
I hope what I just said is as clear as mud : )

BTW-GW also should be given some credit for improving the special teams.

Did you notice that after Winfield opened his mouth the "O" started playing better as well?? Plus the defense has shown some excitement they seem to get pumped up after a big stop again..