PDA

View Full Version : Sam Adams... some of you need to eat crow

STAMPY
12-08-2003, 06:54 PM
as i recall b4 this season started many people on this message board were ripping his signing. saying he will get no stats, hes a lazy slob bla bla bla. well i think 5 sacks, 3 pd's, 1 int, 1 td, 23 tackles. those sure sound like pretty good numbers for big sam. he's had a great season. Almost a career season. Some of you guys, not all ripped it and i think you should eat some crow now. Admit he's had a good year. I even remember after the NE game people saying he won't do anything rest of season.:jj:

Novacane
12-08-2003, 07:16 PM
He has not had a "career" season. He played like crap for about 8 games after the opener. He has picked it up the last month. I hope he keeps it up!

Dozerdog
12-08-2003, 07:25 PM
I think it's in between. I don't think he "played like crap" at all this year- no one has really stuffed the ball down the Bills throats except for the Jets in the meadowlands- and Sam was out of that game.

Vs Miami it took 43 carries at 3.2 average for Williams

Considering this defense has shut down the run and held people to 270 total yards a game- and 15 points a game- he's played up to expectations.

The "Sam Adams is a big fat slob" talk is unfounded- I think those folks bought into that hype way to early as well.

Novacane
12-08-2003, 07:39 PM
Ok so maybe he did not play like crap but he was average for a good stretch there. I made it a point to watch him specifically for a few plays every game and he was almost always blocked by a single blocker.
He has picked it up the last month. If he keeps playing like this they will have to double him every play which will only make the LB's better.

Ingtar33
12-09-2003, 02:27 AM
hmmm... the bills front four is basically the same as the one they fielded last year...

Schobel, Pat Williams, Ron Edwards, Chidi

vs

Schobel, Pat Williams, Sam Adams, Ryan Denney

Personally i think Chidi was a better DE than Denny/Kelsay are this year... that leaves Adams and Edwards as the only real change.

If you want a good idea of how important Sam is to this D look at the first Jets game, Sam was hurt for the whole thing, our D looked like last year's squad. Sometimes a player is worth more to a unit than his numbers. This year, many times Sam has burst into the backfield to miss the RB, but in the process had forced the RB to go laterally, where Fletch or Spikes or Posey wraps him up for little to no gain... Sam never gets credit on the stat sheet for that type of play, but he's good for one or two of those a game.

He's playing like the DT who made the probowl for the Ravens... Just smile, and enjoy the ride folks, we stole a fantastic DT (when he wants to play) for a very affordable price out from under the rest of the NFL's collective noses.

I don't recall which coach said it... but i remember hearing it once said, "the most valuable player to a team is the player who makes everyone else better, and that player is often worth more to a team than a player who's better than everyone else."

Cntrygal
12-09-2003, 02:45 AM
Originally posted by Ingtar33
I don't recall which coach said it... but i remember hearing it once said, "the most valuable player to a team is the player who makes everyone else better, and that player is often worth more to a team than a player who's better than everyone else."

I love that quote... goes hand in hand with a certain word that comes to mind................

"TEAMWORK"

EDS
12-09-2003, 08:20 AM
Wasn't that quote from John Wooden?

Tatonka
12-09-2003, 08:34 AM
sam is the man.

BillsNick
12-09-2003, 08:41 AM
Originally posted by Ingtar33
hmmm... the bills front four is basically the same as the one they fielded last year...

Schobel, Pat Williams, Ron Edwards, Chidi

vs

Schobel, Pat Williams, Sam Adams, Ryan Denney

Personally i think Chidi was a better DE than Denny/Kelsay are this year... that leaves Adams and Edwards as the only real change.

If you want a good idea of how important Sam is to this D look at the first Jets game, Sam was hurt for the whole thing, our D looked like last year's squad. Sometimes a player is worth more to a unit than his numbers. This year, many times Sam has burst into the backfield to miss the RB, but in the process had forced the RB to go laterally, where Fletch or Spikes or Posey wraps him up for little to no gain... Sam never gets credit on the stat sheet for that type of play, but he's good for one or two of those a game.

He's playing like the DT who made the probowl for the Ravens... Just smile, and enjoy the ride folks, we stole a fantastic DT (when he wants to play) for a very affordable price out from under the rest of the NFL's collective noses.

:10: Great post, Ingtar. This says it perfectly:up:

R. Rich
12-09-2003, 09:47 AM
Originally posted by Fairway To Green
Ok so maybe he did not play like crap but he was average for a good stretch there. I made it a point to watch him specifically for a few plays every game and he was almost always blocked by a single blocker.
He has picked it up the last month. If he keeps playing like this they will have to double him every play which will only make the LB's better.

I agree with you FTG. He hasn't been a consistent threat in that teams must double him. Anyone who thinks otherwise, I would advise you to watch any of the games this year (let me know if you need a tape). That said, he has played very well the past few games. I think he could provide a big impact if he were to play in spurts (a rotation of good DLs). If we were to draft someone (forget Harris and/or Wilfork as our pick will not be high enough; maybe Randy Starks of Maryland, who is pretty good too, but his stock is rising also) to start and have Sam figure into a rotation, we would be very tough up front.

Tatonka
12-09-2003, 10:09 AM
rotate him with lavalais.. who is a good pass rusher.. and i think that bannan will keep developing as well. he is going to end up being a solid plug as well.. like a jeff zgonia type in miami.

R. Rich
12-09-2003, 10:14 AM
Originally posted by Tatonka
rotate him with lavalais.. who is a good pass rusher.. and i think that bannan will keep developing as well. he is going to end up being a solid plug as well.. like a jeff zgonia type in miami.

Perhaps. I taped the LSU-Georgia game last weekend. Your boy looked decent. Nothing spectacular, but he didn't embarrass himself either. He's worth a look.

BillsMan80
12-09-2003, 10:19 AM
I don't think we need a DT. Don't forget, Ron Edwards was playing solid until his injury. I think this year's draft should be heavily based on improving the offense.

Sparda
12-09-2003, 10:19 AM
Big man is alright...I mean come on people. He is getting up there in his age and so is big Pat.

I hope in thee early to mid rounds of the 2004 NFL draft or offseason we can get some experienced & fresh young legs to put some rotation behind them.

We already have Edwards and he is going to be a good rotation DT along with another FA DT to put alongside him. So, when either big pat or adams goes out for a breather they will be right there to pick up the pace all game long.

:woot: :hi5:

BillsMan80
12-09-2003, 04:51 PM
We have our 4 now, Williams, Adams, Edwards, and Bannan. It would be a waste to address DT before OL, DE, WR, FS, or possibly QB.