• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • STAMPY
    Hall of Fame Zoner
    • Sep 2003

Sam Adams... some of you need to eat crow

as i recall b4 this season started many people on this message board were ripping his signing. saying he will get no stats, hes a lazy slob bla bla bla. well i think 5 sacks, 3 pd's, 1 int, 1 td, 23 tackles. those sure sound like pretty good numbers for big sam. he's had a great season. Almost a career season. Some of you guys, not all ripped it and i think you should eat some crow now. Admit he's had a good year. I even remember after the NE game people saying he won't do anything rest of season.
  • Fairway To Green
    • Jul 2002

He has not had a "career" season. He played like crap for about 8 games after the opener. He has picked it up the last month. I hope he keeps it up!

Comment

• Dozerdog
      In a jar, on a shelf, next to the unopened Miracle Whip.

Administrator Emeritus
      • Jul 2002

I think it's in between. I don't think he "played like crap" at all this year- no one has really stuffed the ball down the Bills throats except for the Jets in the meadowlands- and Sam was out of that game.

Vs Miami it took 43 carries at 3.2 average for Williams

Considering this defense has shut down the run and held people to 270 total yards a game- and 15 points a game- he's played up to expectations.

The "Sam Adams is a big fat slob" talk is unfounded- I think those folks bought into that hype way to early as well.

Comment

• Fairway To Green
        • Jul 2002

Ok so maybe he did not play like crap but he was average for a good stretch there. I made it a point to watch him specifically for a few plays every game and he was almost always blocked by a single blocker.
        He has picked it up the last month. If he keeps playing like this they will have to double him every play which will only make the LB's better.

Comment

• Ingtar33
          Dances With Buffaloes
          • Sep 2002

hmmm... the bills front four is basically the same as the one they fielded last year...

Schobel, Pat Williams, Ron Edwards, Chidi

vs

Schobel, Pat Williams, Sam Adams, Ryan Denney

Personally i think Chidi was a better DE than Denny/Kelsay are this year... that leaves Adams and Edwards as the only real change.

If you want a good idea of how important Sam is to this D look at the first Jets game, Sam was hurt for the whole thing, our D looked like last year's squad. Sometimes a player is worth more to a unit than his numbers. This year, many times Sam has burst into the backfield to miss the RB, but in the process had forced the RB to go laterally, where Fletch or Spikes or Posey wraps him up for little to no gain... Sam never gets credit on the stat sheet for that type of play, but he's good for one or two of those a game.

He's playing like the DT who made the probowl for the Ravens... Just smile, and enjoy the ride folks, we stole a fantastic DT (when he wants to play) for a very affordable price out from under the rest of the NFL's collective noses.

I don't recall which coach said it... but i remember hearing it once said, "the most valuable player to a team is the player who makes everyone else better, and that player is often worth more to a team than a player who's better than everyone else."
          Last edited by Ingtar33; 12-09-2003, 02:31 AM.
          My wife told me that if I had a dollar for every girl who found me unattractive, girls would find me VERY attractive.

MY WIFE SAID THAT!!!

Comment

• Cntrygal
            Visually stunning but camera-shy.
            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Ingtar33
            I don't recall which coach said it... but i remember hearing it once said, "the most valuable player to a team is the player who makes everyone else better, and that player is often worth more to a team than a player who's better than everyone else."
            I love that quote... goes hand in hand with a certain word that comes to mind................

"TEAMWORK"
            Originally posted by notacon
            The biggest thing we learned from the Bills is that they are a resilient bunch and did what they had to do to win instead of past years where they fold like a cheap lawn chair.

For news, articles and other "stuff"... BillsZone.com

Comment

• EDS
              • Jan 2003

Wasn't that quote from John Wooden?

Comment

• Tatonka
                • Jul 2002

sam is the man.
                "All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity." ~ Gordie Howe

Comment

• BillsNick
                  • Jul 2003

Originally posted by Ingtar33
                  hmmm... the bills front four is basically the same as the one they fielded last year...

Schobel, Pat Williams, Ron Edwards, Chidi

vs

Schobel, Pat Williams, Sam Adams, Ryan Denney

Personally i think Chidi was a better DE than Denny/Kelsay are this year... that leaves Adams and Edwards as the only real change.

If you want a good idea of how important Sam is to this D look at the first Jets game, Sam was hurt for the whole thing, our D looked like last year's squad. Sometimes a player is worth more to a unit than his numbers. This year, many times Sam has burst into the backfield to miss the RB, but in the process had forced the RB to go laterally, where Fletch or Spikes or Posey wraps him up for little to no gain... Sam never gets credit on the stat sheet for that type of play, but he's good for one or two of those a game.

He's playing like the DT who made the probowl for the Ravens... Just smile, and enjoy the ride folks, we stole a fantastic DT (when he wants to play) for a very affordable price out from under the rest of the NFL's collective noses.

Great post, Ingtar. This says it perfectly

Comment

• R. Rich
                    • Apr 2003

Originally posted by Fairway To Green
                    Ok so maybe he did not play like crap but he was average for a good stretch there. I made it a point to watch him specifically for a few plays every game and he was almost always blocked by a single blocker.
                    He has picked it up the last month. If he keeps playing like this they will have to double him every play which will only make the LB's better.

I agree with you FTG. He hasn't been a consistent threat in that teams must double him. Anyone who thinks otherwise, I would advise you to watch any of the games this year (let me know if you need a tape). That said, he has played very well the past few games. I think he could provide a big impact if he were to play in spurts (a rotation of good DLs). If we were to draft someone (forget Harris and/or Wilfork as our pick will not be high enough; maybe Randy Starks of Maryland, who is pretty good too, but his stock is rising also) to start and have Sam figure into a rotation, we would be very tough up front.

Comment

• Tatonka
                      • Jul 2002

rotate him with lavalais.. who is a good pass rusher.. and i think that bannan will keep developing as well. he is going to end up being a solid plug as well.. like a jeff zgonia type in miami.
                      "All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity." ~ Gordie Howe

Comment

• R. Rich
                        • Apr 2003

Originally posted by Tatonka
                        rotate him with lavalais.. who is a good pass rusher.. and i think that bannan will keep developing as well. he is going to end up being a solid plug as well.. like a jeff zgonia type in miami.
                        Perhaps. I taped the LSU-Georgia game last weekend. Your boy looked decent. Nothing spectacular, but he didn't embarrass himself either. He's worth a look.

Comment

• BillsMan80
                          Tapit: All the Way to the Derby
                          • Jul 2002

I don't think we need a DT. Don't forget, Ron Edwards was playing solid until his injury. I think this year's draft should be heavily based on improving the offense.
                          The NTRA...GO BABY GO!!!!!!!
                          THAT'S WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT WILLIS!!!!!!!!!!! Touchdown Wills McGahee!!!!!

Comment

• Sparda
                            • Nov 2003

Big man is alright...I mean come on people. He is getting up there in his age and so is big Pat.

I hope in thee early to mid rounds of the 2004 NFL draft or offseason we can get some experienced & fresh young legs to put some rotation behind them.

We already have Edwards and he is going to be a good rotation DT along with another FA DT to put alongside him. So, when either big pat or adams goes out for a breather they will be right there to pick up the pace all game long.

Sparda's NFL Draft & Player Prospects Info Wake Up And Seek The Truth

Comment

• BillsMan80
                              Tapit: All the Way to the Derby
                              • Jul 2002

We have our 4 now, Williams, Adams, Edwards, and Bannan. It would be a waste to address DT before OL, DE, WR, FS, or possibly QB.
                              The NTRA...GO BABY GO!!!!!!!
                              THAT'S WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT WILLIS!!!!!!!!!!! Touchdown Wills McGahee!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X