PDA

View Full Version : I will tell you what I am scared of...

Tatonka
12-09-2003, 09:41 PM
i know for a fact that henry is not going anywhere next year... and i love the guy.. i also love the IDEA of what mcgahee could become for the bills..

but my biggest fear is running back by committee.... it sucks.... and it is just torture for the backs... perfect example is garrison hearst and kevin barlow... there is anomosity there.. and there is a division on that team, somewhat like rob johnson and doug flutie... they do a good job of keeping it under wraps.. but it is there no doubt..

does anyone remember reading the story about fred beasley, the FB for the 49ers.. talking smack about barlow.. and how they hate each other.. i dont want any of that on our team.

henry's response has been good this season, after a rough "slap in the face" start. but that is easy to do when the kid is still on the bench. once mcgahee starts biting into his carries.. i am gonna be worried.

and i dont care if people say it works.. it doesnt.. barlow and hearst get a good 60 yards a piece.. but you saw last week what happens when you let one back get into the flow of the game.. barlow busts out for 150 yards and a td.. with another 25 yards receiving..

is anyone else nervous about this at all? i just cant see two premier backs being content in that situation.. you think travis wants to be a two down back? you think mcgahee wants to be a 3rd down back?

i know i am jumping ahead of myself and assuming that WM will be completely healthy, and actually good enough to even challenge a stud like henry for his job, but i am just concerned for the future.

the players on the team love henry. and they should. he is a leader by example, who plays in pain, works hard, and does whatever he can to help the team win. i just dont want to see him **** on .. but i also dont want to see mcgahee denied of the opportunity to show what he has got.

i dont know what the answer is... but i love henry.. and i want him to stay on this team.. which i am sure he will, at least for another year... but i am also intrigued with the prospect of a "bo jackson" waiting in the wings.

am i the only one worried?

thoughts/comments?

The Spaz
12-09-2003, 09:56 PM
I toatally agree but I feel that both Henry and McGahee are better backs and will be very effective splitting carries and make more of an opportunity with them. Hey I highly doubt they would complain if they both could get 80-100 yards a game with a td or 2. This seems not likely but we all know what Henry can do and are just waiting on what Mcgahee can do. If McGahee can be that Bo Jackson we have the best tandem of RB's ever. We will just have to wait and see what transpires though next season.

Tatonka
12-09-2003, 09:58 PM
i guess it just seems laughable to me to think that our coaching staff could possibly run the ball 40 times in a game.

helmetguy
12-09-2003, 10:00 PM
Originally posted by Tatonka
i guess it just seems laughable to me to think that our coaching staff could possibly run the ball 40 times in a game.

Assuming that this year's coaching staff will remain intact next year you mean?

The Spaz
12-09-2003, 10:01 PM

I hear you but if they are this good they would have to. This only this happens though is with a competent HC and OC!

Tatonka
12-09-2003, 10:01 PM
Originally posted by helmetguy
Assuming that this year's coaching staff will remain intact next year you mean?

well.. i guess i have grown so used to the lack of properly using the run game, that i cant fathom it otherwise, regardless of the coaching staff.

:madcloud:

LABillsFan
12-10-2003, 02:43 AM
There's a lot of "what if's" regarding TH and WM. Henry has gained a lot of yards the last 2 years and is a work horse. But if you notice, he either has great games or below par games and he can't seem to consistanty do it throughout the year. Why? It could be one or many reasons.
1. the line
1a. the way the line matches up against the opponents team
2. lacks speed to get to the outside
3. doesn't hit the holes fast enough
4. lacks vision to find holes at times
5. Play calling and game planning
6. has impressive numbers against lesser or equal teams but for what ever reason (see all above) doesn't perform against teams the Bills need to beat to progress forward.

As far as WM, he has shown in "College" that he has speed, can catch and has alot of what Henry doesn't have. It's like comparing Bettis (in his prime) to Holmes or Porter in a sense. All very effective backs but different styles and their respective teams formed around the kind of runner they are. The down side to WM

1. Sever Knee injury
2. Has never played a down in the NFL

Everyone knows what to expect from Henry but you will never see TH do what Porter or Holmes do. You won't see TH do what Faulk does. WM has at least the possibility of it but until proven all is speculative.

Personally I'd rather have the latter of the two backs style, it adds more options to you offense, and forces the D to play the whole field rather than keying on a RB who is best running inside and can't catch all that well.

helmetguy
12-10-2003, 08:17 AM
About the only thing I can fully agree with you on, LABills, is the part about the "what ifs." I don't know of a single player ever to grace the NFL that didn't have "what ifs" attached to them.

TH is a much more consistent RB than you think. Like any workhorse, he needs to have the ball 25-30 times a game; a la just about every starting RB I've ever watched.

The bottom line here is that, we HAVE TH and have a pretty good idea what he can do. We have WM and he will be given a chance to show what HE can do. And, in the NFL, EVERYTHING is speculative...until the final gun sounds.

SABURZFAN
12-10-2003, 08:39 AM
there's plenty of room for both RBs to touch the ball 20 times each.henry has shown improvement catching the ball.we need a coaching staff that would be smart enough to make both players happy.this has the potential to be a very lethal combination.

justasportsfan
12-10-2003, 09:19 AM
i know for a fact that henry is not going anywhere next year... and i love the guy.. i also love the IDEA of what mcgahee could become for the bills..

but my biggest fear is running back by committee.... it sucks.... and it is just torture for the backs... perfect example is garrison hearst and kevin barlow... there is anomosity there.. and there is a division on that team, somewhat like rob johnson and doug flutie... they do a good job of keeping it under wraps.. but it is there no doubt..

does anyone remember reading the story about fred beasley, the FB for the 49ers.. talking smack about barlow.. and how they hate each other.. i dont want any of that on our team.

henry's response has been good this season, after a rough "slap in the face" start. but that is easy to do when the kid is still on the bench. once mcgahee starts biting into his carries.. i am gonna be worried.

and i dont care if people say it works.. it doesnt.. barlow and hearst get a good 60 yards a piece.. but you saw last week what happens when you let one back get into the flow of the game.. barlow busts out for 150 yards and a td.. with another 25 yards receiving..

is anyone else nervous about this at all? i just cant see two premier backs being content in that situation.. you think travis wants to be a two down back? you think mcgahee wants to be a 3rd down back?

i know i am jumping ahead of myself and assuming that WM will be completely healthy, and actually good enough to even challenge a stud like henry for his job, but i am just concerned for the future.

the players on the team love henry. and they should. he is a leader by example, who plays in pain, works hard, and does whatever he can to help the team win. i just dont want to see him **** on .. but i also dont want to see mcgahee denied of the opportunity to show what he has got.

i dont know what the answer is... but i love henry.. and i want him to stay on this team.. which i am sure he will, at least for another year... but i am also intrigued with the prospect of a "bo jackson" waiting in the wings.

am i the only one worried?

thoughts/comments?

On the other hand.... RBC is what kept the eagles going when McNabb and Staley were struggling. Excluding McNabb's 320 yrds. they have over 1300 yards.

The flipside to your sentiments is that competition brings out the best in players. Henry needs to keep his job, there's a lot of expectations w/ McGahee. What it boils down to , is how coaches are able to handle the situation.

Earthquake Enyart
12-10-2003, 10:07 AM
Everyone thought the Broncos were crazy to draft Portis. They already had Anderson and Gary. Look what happened there.

Pride
12-10-2003, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by Earthquake Enyart
Everyone thought the Broncos were crazy to draft Portis. They already had Anderson and Gary. Look what happened there.

True, but look what happened when New Orleans drafted McAllister. They gave away a hall of fame RB in williams, and havent gotten much back in McAllister. Sure he has talent, but who would you rather have on your team? (minus the fact he plays for the phins of course)

I am very scared of what may happen. TH is tearing it up in the NFL. Given a good gameplan, he can easily be a 2000 yard back in this league. If we get rid of him, or things go sour, and McGahee cant produce, I will be saying alot of "I told you so's"

The Spaz
12-10-2003, 01:34 PM
Well McAllister had 9 games in a row with 100 or more yards which was only stopped last week. I know Williams is better but I feel McAllister sure isn't too far begind him IMO.

Tatonka
12-10-2003, 03:23 PM
Originally posted by Pride
True, but look what happened when New Orleans drafted McAllister. They gave away a hall of fame RB in williams, and havent gotten much back in McAllister. Sure he has talent, but who would you rather have on your team? (minus the fact he plays for the phins of course)

I am very scared of what may happen. TH is tearing it up in the NFL. Given a good gameplan, he can easily be a 2000 yard back in this league. If we get rid of him, or things go sour, and McGahee cant produce, I will be saying alot of "I told you so's"

man.. i would not use the RW/Mcallister example here.. it doesnt fit what you are trying to get across..

first. your saying that ricky williams is a hall of fame back??? ok.. so he had 850 yards, 1000 yards, 1200 yards.. then got traded, and had 1800 yards.. then has had an average season this year, as he is just over 1000 yards with three games to go.. how does that qualify as hall of fame exactly??

next.. duece has had over 100 yards in 9 straight games.. he is second in the league in rushing, and has produced better than williams this year, by far, and a top 5 back last year as well..

miami got what they wanted.. a good rb, definately not even close to hall of fame at this point.. but a good rb they can depend on.. and NO got 2 first rounders, and still have a VERY good rb, who will only get better.

Tatonka
12-10-2003, 03:23 PM
i would not be upset at all if mcgahee turned out to be "as bad as" mcallister.

TedMock
12-10-2003, 03:55 PM
I'd take McAllister in a heartbeat over Ricky Williams. Williams is stronger but Deuce is still a pretty powerful back. Plus he's faster and has better hands.

Voltron
12-10-2003, 04:11 PM
. This past Sunday night I was watching espn I think and they showed games of Jim Brown playing at Syracuse and in Cleveland.

While WM may be the next Bo Jackson when watching Henry run his style reminds me of Brown. In your face running and breaking tackles. Now I am not saying TH is even CLOSE to the back that Jim was but that his style is reminiscent of Jim.

So what we have is 2 different backs, with different strengths, with 2 different styles of running. I have never been impressed with TH when it comes to getting around the line. He seems to pick up holes well and can break tackles like a mad man (on most occasions) but he doesn't have the burst of speed that turns a good back into a Great back. Now that his fumbleitis has dissipated I think that is one of TH's few shortcomings and one of WM strengths (well in college at least).

I think we will keep what ever back works better into our offensive plans for the future. We won’t know what way they are leaning until we find out what is going to happen with our coaching situation.