• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • juice
    • Aug 2003

Bills "D" over rated or overacheiving

H
    ow is this "D" who got ripped by KC a few weeks ago ranked #2. almost the worst in causing turnovers, no player has stepped up to be #1 free safety, average end play at best, and not even 1 player stands out as a sure Pro Bowler is this truely a #1 "D" or just a spacesaver for the Ravens super "D". ACC

"Hey, I was always aggressive. I always had lots of energy, thats why my teammates on the Bills started calling me Juice" PLAYBOY Dec.'76
  • helmetguy
    Touch the helmet for luck
    • Sep 2002

They manage to keep points off the scoreboard. Isn't THAT what good defenses do?
    Someone said "What's he gonna turn out like?" Ha!
    And someone else said "Never mind!"

-Deep Purple

"Have you ever taken a crap so big your pants fit better?"--Ron White

Comment

• juice
      • Aug 2003

Originally posted by helmetguy
      They manage to keep points off the scoreboard. Isn't THAT what good defenses do?
      Yes THAT is what good defenses manage, but to be #1 in defense next to keeping your opponent out of the endzone your most important job is creating opporitunities by taking the rock. We have showed a lacking ability to create turnovers with our corners not getting interceptions and our pass rush not causing QB fumbles. THAT is why we have no defensive Pro Bowlers. ACC

"Hey, I was always aggressive. I always had lots of energy, thats why my teammates on the Bills started calling me Juice" PLAYBOY Dec.'76

Comment

• Tatonka
        • Jul 2002

i looked at all their numbers and all the rankings.. they are doing a great job.. i am just not sure how..

the bills defense doesnt envoke fear like a ravens D or miami D does.. but they do a good job most of the time.

they really let us down in the KC game.. and the first jets game..

and a couple key breakdowns cost us the houston game and the miami game.
        "All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity." ~ Gordie Howe

Comment

• Brian Griese Rulz
          • Aug 2003

Re: Bills "D" over rated or overacheiving

Originally posted by juice
          almost the worst in causing turnovers
          Not almost, They ARE the worst in causing turnovers.

Comment

• helmetguy
            • Sep 2002

With our offensive struggles, "getting the rock" hasn't really panned out, has it? How many points has our offense scored off turnovers? You have to walk before you can run. These things also come in stages. First, you limit what an offense can do against you. Then you shut down the possibility of the "big play." Then, you keep points off the board. So far, so good. Give these guys a chance!

-Deep Purple

Comment

• Buckets
              • Jun 2003

Re: Bills "D" over rated or overacheiving

Originally posted by juice
              H
              ow is this "D" who got ripped by KC a few weeks ago ranked #2. almost the worst in causing turnovers, no player has stepped up to be #1 free safety, average end play at best, and not even 1 player stands out as a sure Pro Bowler is this truely a #1 "D" or just a spacesaver for the Ravens super "D". ACC
              Over the years I have noted that usually an aboration like the KC game is the responsibility of poor game planning. Even the great Bills teams of the SB years would pitch a real bomb once in a while and you could trace it back to the game plan.

Comment

• casdhf
                • Jul 2002

I think Steve Tasker said it best, when he said the team is very good on 1st and second down. That's when the great defenses shine....leaving 3rd and longs often
                Originally posted by BillsZone Mod
                cas,

I'm just letting you know that you have been given 2 points for telling Wys AKA Mark to kill himself.

BillsZone Mod

Comment

• juice
                  • Aug 2003

Originally posted by casdhf
                  I think Steve Tasker said it best, when he said the team is very good on 1st and second down. That's when the great defenses shine....leaving 3rd and longs often
                  The #1 defenses cause QB fumbles and interceptions on 3rd down giving the offense a short field and dictating game flow. Md 58 Fla 57

Comment

• TigerJ
                    • Jul 2002

I think there is a strong connection between the relatively ineffective pass rush most of the year and the lack of forcing turnovers. A strong pass rush raises the number of interceptions and fumbles by the QB. Another factor is the poor offence by the Bills in a lot of games. In theory the passing game is a higher risk aspect of the game than the running game. Because the Bills haven't scored a lot of points, there haven't been a lot of games where opposing offences have had to alter their game plan away from running the ball to passing. The last two games were particularly encouraging IMHO because of the number of sacks. The Bills also got turnovers on both games.
                    I've made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts.

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.

Comment

• HenryRules
                      • Jul 2002

I think our D is both overrated and overachieving.

After the last 2 weeks performances, I don't think they're as overrated as they were a few weeks ago ... but I just don't think our D makes game-changing plays that I think great D's do. Plus, when the other offense has the ball in the 4th quarter, I don't have nearly the confidence in our D that I would in a lot of others.

Comment

• juice
                        • Aug 2003

Originally posted by TigerJ
                        I think there is a strong connection between the relatively ineffective pass rush most of the year and the lack of forcing turnovers. A strong pass rush raises the number of interceptions and fumbles by the QB. Another factor is the poor offence by the Bills in a lot of games. In theory the passing game is a higher risk aspect of the game than the running game. Because the Bills haven't scored a lot of points, there haven't been a lot of games where opposing offences have had to alter their game plan away from running the ball to passing. The last two games were particularly encouraging IMHO because of the number of sacks. The Bills also got turnovers on both games.
                        Originally posted by HenryRules
                        I think our D is both overrated and overachieving.

After the last 2 weeks performances, I don't think they're as overrated as they were a few weeks ago ... but I just don't think our D makes game-changing plays that I think great D's do. Plus, when the other offense has the ball in the 4th quarter, I don't have nearly the confidence in our D that I would in a lot of others.
                        I agree. MD over #1 Fla ACC

Comment

• Brian Griese Rulz
                          • Aug 2003

How many points has our offense scored off turnovers?
                          Since the Bills have a league low of 14 takeaways, I bet the Bills are also last in Points off Tunronver.

St. Louis has a league high 40 takeaways.

Comment

• helmetguy
                            • Sep 2002

Over rated? Over acheiving? How about evolving? Remember that "No-Name" D of Miami? How many HOF'ers are there from that unit?

(Shut up, Phil! Let these guys figure it out!)

-Deep Purple

Comment

• The Spaz
                              • Mar 2003

Over rated? Over acheiving? How about evolving? Remember that "No-Name" D of Miami? How many HOF'ers are there from that unit?

(Shut up, Phil! Let these guys figure it out!)
                              End of story!

Comment

Working...
                              X