PDA

View Full Version : Our current OL

ajsdx
12-12-2003, 08:13 PM
From Dr. Z, a respected SI columnist and former O-Lineman:

"Scott's football question involved the Bills' right guard situation. Well, Marques Sullivan, last year's starter, couldn't block me. Mike Pucillo, this year's starter, was better (who wouldn't be?) but still more of a drive blocker than a pass blocker. Ross Tucker, the new guy, struggled when he was with the Redskins last year, and he looks like the best of the three, but still no bargain. "

"You say you saw Mike Williams of the Bills punishing the Jets' Shaun Ellis last weekend? I've got the game on tape but haven't watched it yet. I've got Williams rated as a major disappointment. Punished him how? Spanking, or what? "

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2003/writers/dr_z/12/12/mailbag/index.html

It sounds like an all-around condemnation of our RG. I think that this is more evidence that we should ignore the other areas of our team until the OL is solved. Winfield is great to have, Kearse is a big name to toss around, Bledsoe sucks, etc. but until we have an offensive line, nothing else matters. That said, might it be possible to pry some decent OL away? I think it'd be worth it to trade off our first this year to get someone else's dominant interior lineman, and shuffle our line around that.

JefftheBillsfan
12-12-2003, 08:32 PM
if you ask me, Dr Z sounds like a ignorant jackass.

casdhf
12-12-2003, 09:17 PM
He doesnt know what he's talking about....Pucillo isnt a drive blocker, he is a total pussy. Also, Mike Williams, I think is playing as well as any lineman in the league right now....how'd this guy get a job anyways?

juice
12-12-2003, 09:18 PM
Originally posted by ajsdx
From Dr. Z, a respected SI columnist and former O-Lineman:

"Scott's football question involved the Bills' right guard situation. Well, Marques Sullivan, last year's starter, couldn't block me. Mike Pucillo, this year's starter, was better (who wouldn't be?) but still more of a drive blocker than a pass blocker. Ross Tucker, the new guy, struggled when he was with the Redskins last year, and he looks like the best of the three, but still no bargain. "

"You say you saw Mike Williams of the Bills punishing the Jets' Shaun Ellis last weekend? I've got the game on tape but haven't watched it yet. I've got Williams rated as a major disappointment. Punished him how? Spanking, or what? "

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2003/writers/dr_z/12/12/mailbag/index.html

It sounds like an all-around condemnation of our RG. I think that this is more evidence that we should ignore the other areas of our team until the OL is solved. Winfield is great to have, Kearse is a big name to toss around, Bledsoe sucks, etc. but until we have an offensive line, nothing else matters. That said, might it be possible to pry some decent OL away? I think it'd be worth it to trade off our first this year to get someone else's dominant interior lineman, and shuffle our line around that.

Woody in NE, isn't he a free agent? Md Ranked #?

ryguy8161
12-12-2003, 10:52 PM
Call me crazy but I believe I've seen constant improvement from Williams. Hes even shown he can compete with the leauges best when he went up against Strahan.

ajsdx
12-13-2003, 12:41 AM
Originally posted by ryguy8161
Call me crazy but I believe I've seen constant improvement from Williams. Hes even shown he can compete with the leauges best when he went up against Strahan.

I agree. He hasn't been spectacular up to this point, but it takes time for OL to develop. They probably have one of the steepest learning curves of any position in the NFL. There aren't too many dominant forces in college that dominate right out of the gate in the NFL. However, I did expect a lot more from this OL after an entire year together last year. I guess that means they'll be even better next year?

The_Philster
12-13-2003, 05:05 AM
Originally posted by ryguy8161

If I hadn't read your post through and realized you were talking about Mike Williams, I woulda called you more than crazy :D