PDA

View Full Version : POsitives and Negatives about Keeping GW.

justasportsfan
12-13-2003, 12:40 PM
It's a hard situation. If we get rid of GW, what are the chances of the new HC breaking up this D and rebuilding it all over again? HOw sure are we that the new HC's shceme will work with this D? His principles could bring this D from 2 to 11.

If we get a HC like Parcells or Bellichick who feeds off of the talent that he's got , I doubt this D will miss a heartbeat.

Positive: This D will stay where it's at or get better.

Negative: he's 0-2 in picking an OC. Our O could be just as bad or even worse if he is to pick the OC himself .He is still in the learning process of being a good Hcoach and the bills are his guinea pigs.

This is why I'd rather playout the rest of the season and see where we are at. If we make the playoffs, he stays and we don't I won't lose sleep over his demise.

SoCalBillsFan
12-13-2003, 02:34 PM
negative: He's a horrible coach.

IHateTheDullphins
12-13-2003, 02:40 PM
it would get better cause we would get the "freak"...

Brian Griese Rulz
12-13-2003, 03:15 PM
-Punting on the 32 has nothing to do with the freak.
-Going for 2 in the Minnesota game has nothing to do with the freak.
-Not allowing KC to score a TD in last years game so we get the ball back being only down by 8, has nothing to do with the freak.
-Calling a Replay challenge last week on that Punt, has nothing to do with the freak.
-Numerous replay challenges that he has called for during his 3 years here, has nothing to do with the freak.
-Fake Punt this year that didnt work, has nothing to do with the Freak.
-Henry's halfback pass during the Miami game, has nothing to do with the freak.
- Many more

Wish I wrote down all his boneheaded Gameday decisions during the last 3 years. I would be able to write a Novel like WYS use to do.

kdharge
12-13-2003, 03:16 PM
Originally posted by justasportsfan
It's a hard situation. If we get rid of GW, what are the chances of the new HC breaking up this D and rebuilding it all over again? HOw sure are we that the new HC's shceme will work with this D? His principles could bring this D from 2 to 11.

If we get a HC like Parcells or Bellichick who feeds off of the talent that he's got , I doubt this D will miss a heartbeat.

Positive: This D will stay where it's at or get better.

Negative: he's 0-2 in picking an OC. Our O could be just as bad or even worse if he is to pick the OC himself .He is still in the learning process of being a good Hcoach and the bills are his guinea pigs.

This is why I'd rather playout the rest of the season and see where we are at. If we make the playoffs, he stays and we don't I won't lose sleep over his demise. Well Lets look at this from a strictly personnel standpoint. Last year our offense was viewed across the league as a dominant group (personnel on that side of the ball was very good ) No one called for Gilbride's head interesting......... Defense was terrible (personnel defensively was not good at all) No one called for Gray head (because as the knowledgable fans that we are we knew the personnel sucked on that side of the ball ) serious upgrades were needed and taken care of . The fact of the matter my intellegent Buffalo Bills compatriots we as knowledgable fans know that the one thing you never want to see is our team quit thats instant dismissal in my book;Like it or not Williams teams always play hard for him. (All Rookies like his 1st year hear or with Veterans this year; thats impressive just ask Fassel,Haselet,Coughlin,D.Green ) We just need to upgrade the Offensive Talent and the systems we have will begin to shine again. Ralph was right We need better Talent on the Offensive side of the Ball. If we get the same ugrades on the Offense next year like we did on the D this past year we will be just fine.Give him the extension and watch our team identity continue to grow.Its actually very nice to see. We are goig to be proud of this team very very soon because The Brew is almost complete Donohue need to get a few more ingrediants this Off-Season to make it Super Bowl worthy. Just my humble take from one crazed Bills Fan to my Bills Nation

imbondz
12-13-2003, 03:23 PM
positive - it's fun to rip on how much he sucks as a coach

negative - he sucks as a coach

socalfan
12-13-2003, 03:42 PM
So, I see no positives in keeping him in Buffalo.

There are a plethora of negatives.

justasportsfan
12-13-2003, 04:06 PM
Originally posted by socalfan
So, I see no positives in keeping him in Buffalo.

There are a plethora of negatives.

The only guarantee that this D will stay intact and still get rid of GW is to promote from within. That means, Gray or Lebeau. Kinda like the Bucs and the raiders of last year.

A new coach could change the philosophy or continuity of this D.

Dozerdog
12-13-2003, 07:05 PM
I don't see why an existing coach, say a Dennis Green- wouldn't want to keep the staff in tact. Then again- they might bring in some new ideas.

Half the people on this board aren't convinced this is a top defense because we don't pressure the QB, we don't create turnovers, ect.

Imagine if we got defensive coaches that preached that??

This coach has no future.

I saw a comparison with Jeff Fisher, and how his teams were 8-8 for what seemed an eternity - and peple were comparing GW to Fisher as far as letting a struggling coach work his problems out.

Fisher was faced with a lot more stumbling blocks- way less talent, ownership in flux, and eventually the team distraction of playing in 3 cities in 4 seasons. GW has done way less with more talent

imbondz
12-13-2003, 07:10 PM
the talent on this team both offensively and defensively on paper is unbelievable. what GW has done with it is equally unbelievable

socalfan
12-13-2003, 07:17 PM
Originally posted by justasportsfan
The only guarantee that this D will stay intact and still get rid of GW is to promote from within. That means, Gray or Lebeau. Kinda like the Bucs and the raiders of last year.

A new coach could change the philosophy or continuity of this D.

It's possible....but I think that the better coaches make use of the talent they have. So if a new coach comes in and it looks to him like the talent on D is now used optimally, then maybe he should change the schemes.

justasportsfan
12-13-2003, 09:12 PM
Originally posted by Dozerdog
I don't see why an existing coach, say a Dennis Green- wouldn't want to keep the staff in tact. Then again- they might bring in some new ideas.

Half the people on this board aren't convinced this is a top defense because we don't pressure the QB, we don't create turnovers, ect.

Imagine if we got defensive coaches that preached that??

This coach has no future.

I saw a comparison with Jeff Fisher, and how his teams were 8-8 for what seemed an eternity - and peple were comparing GW to Fisher as far as letting a struggling coach work his problems out.

Fisher was faced with a lot more stumbling blocks- way less talent, ownership in flux, and eventually the team distraction of playing in 3 cities in 4 seasons. GW has done way less with more talent

That's because we are missing one DE that can play opposite Shobel and if TD is not blind, he will address this. We have the cap.

justasportsfan
12-13-2003, 09:19 PM
Originally posted by socalfan

It's possible....but I think that the better coaches make use of the talent they have. So if a new coach comes in and it looks to him like the talent on D is now used optimally, then maybe he should change the schemes.

I will not argue that. What if TD decides to bring in a College coach? TD has close ties with Haslett. Would you be happy with this guy who hasn't done anything with his talent? There's talk that Coughlin lives close to Buffalo. Guess what? Buffalo was ideal for Donahoe because Pennsylvania is not far.

Hmmmmm , Drew is from a small town. :scratch: Buffalo HillBILLies? :couch:

Don't get me wrong , I'm not trying to defend GW. I'm just trying to look at from another view.Like I said, as far as I'm concerned , it's still playoff or bust. If we don't make it , For the 3rd straight year, his teams D finished strong but still no playoff. Nothings changed.

Wade didn't get a fair shake if we keep GW.Inspite of getting us to a wild card and playoff appearance with less talent Wade was practically ran out of town.

socalfan
12-14-2003, 12:45 AM
I cannot for the life of me imagine bringing in a college coach as a head coach.......if that were to happen then that would clearly indicate to me that TD can hire either. And that would be unacceptable for a GM. I would hope he would hand the GM duties over to someone else and work at the public relations, sales and marketing for the Bills.

And I agree, Wade didn't get a fair shake. But Rusty Jones was not what you would call a special teams coach, and Wade should have suggested himself that Rusty go back to the college ranks.