Even 9-7 record shouldn't be enough to keep Williams

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dozerdog
    In a jar, on a shelf, next to the unopened Miracle Whip.

Administrator Emeritus
    • Jul 2002

12/14/2003

By JERRY SULLIVAN

NASHVILLE, Tenn. - The problem with the NFL is there's only one game a week. It's three hours of commercials, interrupted by periodic bursts of football, then six days of endless talk and analysis. There's entirely too much time to think between games.
    Given all this time to ruminate, a lot of people have concluded that Gregg Williams might be coaching for his job during the next three weeks. There's growing speculation - and in many cases, a rising horror - that Williams could be back next year if the Bills run the table, or even if they win two of their last three.

Haven't we already been through this? Last year at this point, the Bills were 6-7, with only a remote chance of reaching the playoffs. A year later, they're 6-7 again. A team that was expected to contend for a Super Bowl has been a colossal disappointment. They're on the verge of being eliminated from the playoffs. And we're supposed to believe that Williams is getting one last three-game trial to save his hide?

I'd like to think Tom Donahoe, the president and general manager, is smarter than that. His mind should be made up by now. What could Donahoe learn in the next three games that he didn't pick up in the previous 45? It's evident that Williams isn't cut out to be a head coach, and nothing that happens over the next three weeks is likely to change that.

So what if the team finishes strong? It gets awfully tiresome, hearing how the team never quits on him. They're supposed to play hard. They're not playing out of any love for the coach. They're playing for themselves. When the season was up for grabs, the players didn't respond to what Williams was selling. They lost seven of nine games, an unforgivable stretch of bad play for a perceived contender.

• Dozerdog
    In a jar, on a shelf, next to the unopened Miracle Whip.

Administrator Emeritus
    • Jul 2002

I don't care if we have the top defense in hte AFC. Defense is based on talent on the field. This coach has to go. If the new coach wants to retain the defensive coaches , it is his perrogative. But the "schemes" or "system" to me are much less valuable to me than getting a head coach who isn't a goddamn marshmellow.

Please get us a new coach TD!!!

Comment

• SABURZFAN
      short bus extraordinaire
      • Jul 2002

we can only hope.
      Originally posted by yordad
      Christ, you are the queerest person in the history of Bills fanhood. I swear to god I would stomp you.

Comment

• Michael82
        • Jul 2002

All I want for Christmas is Tom Coughlin as our head coach!

Comment

• BradAlanMiller
          • Sep 2003

I still think that if we do get a new coach, it'll be someone from the current staff...

I'd also rather it be that way, other than starting over again. There are not really any current coaches w/o jobs that impress me too much...
          Last edited by BAM; 12-14-2003, 09:08 AM.

Comment

Working...
          X