Larry Felser right on again!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dozerdog
    In a jar, on a shelf, next to the unopened Miracle Whip.

Administrator Emeritus
    • Jul 2002

Larry Felser right on again!

Discipline

Things to do for the Bills in 2004:

1. Hire a coach who is able and willing to instill some discipline in a talented but undisciplined team.

The Bills’ galling loss to Tennessee Sunday began and ended with penalties which were models of poor discipline. On the first play of the game, veteran left guard Ruben Brown was offsides, putting the Buffalo offense into an immediate hole on the first play of the game.

On the notorious final play, veteran wide receiver Bobby Shaw caught what should have been a successful two-point conversion which would have sent the game into overtime. Drew Bledsoe threw it low and outside, as accurate as a Pedro Martinez pitch. Shaw made a superb catch, or half catch.

Shaw cradled the ball with this arms and chest. If he had continued to cradle, the two-pointer would have been good. Instead he tried to thrust the ball into the air with his left hand and it escaped his grasp. No good.

Why thrust it prematurely? Why thrust it at all?

Because it’s part of a “Me! Me! Me! Celebration.” The celebration has become as important as the points scored --- at least for undisciplined players.

Who knows what would have happened in overtime?

Incidentally, the Bills got as close as they did because Bledsoe got hot in the fourth quarter. For those who have been busy trying to ride Bledsoe out of town on a rail, this is a reminder that Drew leads all active NFL quarterbacks in directing his team to successful fourth quarter rallies.

Bledsoe had an uneven game, something he’s done a lot in the last season and a half. But those who would wish to see him gone immediately never have an answer to the gigantic question of what would happen in his absence.

...more...
  • The Spaz
    • Mar 2003

I'm listenign to him on WNSA right now. I think he always makes a lot of valid points.

Comment

• Dozerdog

Administrator Emeritus
      • Jul 2002

Now that it's winter and dark by 4 PM- I can get WHAM - Rochester on the long rides home from the office- the 6 PM sports show with Bob Matthews and the round table he does with Felser, Battaglia, and others is pretty good!

Comment

• SABURZFAN
        short bus extraordinaire
        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by The Spaz
        I'm listenign to him on WNSA right now. I think he always makes a lot of valid points.
        he has his moments.as long as he's been around,he has to be right sometimes.
        Originally posted by yordad
        Christ, you are the queerest person in the history of Bills fanhood. I swear to god I would stomp you.

Comment

• helmetguy
          Touch the helmet for luck
          • Sep 2002

Where the Bills and the NFL are concerned, Felser is probably the Dean of NFL writers now, ascending to that spot once held by the late, great Will McDonough from the Boston Globe. Hell, McDonough knew what the League should do BEFORE Rozelle or Tagliabue ever did!
          Someone said "What's he gonna turn out like?" Ha!
          And someone else said "Never mind!"

-Deep Purple

"Have you ever taken a crap so big your pants fit better?"--Ron White

Comment

• Halbert
            I'm Not Normal
            • Jul 2002

Larry Felser is a crotchety old man, but he's an awesome sports writer. I used to get the Bflo News deliverd when I lived in DC just to read his columns.

Comment

• Dozerdog

Administrator Emeritus
              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Halbert
              Larry Felser is a crotchety old man, but he's an awesome sports writer. I used to get the Bflo News deliverd when I lived in DC just to read his columns.
              You forgot mushmouthed- thank god for typewriters.

Comment

• Jan Reimers
                Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
                • May 2003

Felser is probably right - let's get some decent coaching, rebuild the interior of the O line, add a speed reciever, and see what Drew can do.

Actually, with our D and a running attack featuring Travis and Willis, Drew could be a caretaker QB in the Doug Johnson/Trent Dilfer mode - with the right OC.
                Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• Halbert
                  I'm Not Normal
                  • Jul 2002

Brad

Comment

• justasportsfan
                    • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Jan Reimers
                    Felser is probably right - let's get some decent coaching, rebuild the interior of the O line, add a speed reciever, and see what Drew can do.

Actually, with our D and a running attack featuring Travis and Willis, Drew could be a caretaker QB in the Doug Johnson/Trent Dilfer mode - with the right OC.
                    You are willing to pay a caretaker how much? AVP is a much better caretaker for way less.
                    sacrifice1
                    https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• Dozerdog

Administrator Emeritus
                      • Jul 2002

It's fairly obvious the Bills are going to renegotiate with Drew in the offseason.

That's why that $7 million nut ws put in for November- to force a renegotiation.

I'd take a long hard look if he knocked his salary down to 3-4 mill a year.

Comment

• Ebenezer
                        Give me a minute...
                        • Jul 2002

he hit the nail on the head...discipline is more than the lack of penalties...that debacle at the end of the Houston game seal it...Shaw's blunder was just one more excuse...it is the same as running before you recover the fumble...this team doesn't play smart football...

lack of discipline and the inability/lack of power to override KG will be the reason GW will be gone.

For all the education and practice each of us undergoes, the achievment of mastery is ultimately the outcome of a personal quest for understanding.

Comment

Working...
                        X