PDA

View Full Version : Billy Volek, QB for the Bills next year?

baalworship
12-15-2003, 05:10 PM
The one bright spot from yesterday was Donahoe got to scout a QB that few have seen, Billy Volek. The guy tore up the Bills with laser precise passes under intense pressure and showed nice pocket presence and mobility. The sacks that we got on him were largely to blitzes that few QB's could have avoided.

This was a guy that came into this league as an undrafted FA but started ahead of future #1 overall pick David Carr at Fresno State. He's got only one start but has a few years in the league.

I have heard talk about this guy being a FA. If that is the case, Donahoe should make signing this guy his first priority. If Bledsoe is cut Volek would jump at the chance to start on a team with a solid defense and running game.

We can then keep AVP as the # 2 and draft another QB somewhere in rounds 3-7. Bledsoe is done. His best days are behind him and his confidence is shot.

From the Debverpost.com, "

TENNESSEE: This is a big chance for backup quarterback Billy Volek, who could replace injured Steve McNair on Monday night. Volek is scheduled to become an unrestricted free agent at season's end. It's not like he can't be an effective quarterback, either. As a sophomore at Fresno State, Volek beat out David Carr for the starting quarterback job. During his senior season at Fresno State, Volek threw for 30 touchdowns and only three interceptions before signing with the Titans as an undrafted free agent."

30 TD to 3 INT's?! Why is this guy a backup?

The_Philster
12-15-2003, 05:12 PM
Yeah. Pick up a guy based on one start when that worked so well for us before. :rolleyes:

helmetguy
12-15-2003, 05:13 PM
TD'd FIRST priority is to get the coaching staff staightened out. Player personnel decisions will come next, and there is no specific hierarchy as to which position gets addressed first. He'll have the time and the staff to help him find the right fit of coaches and players with a workable game day philosophy.

baalworship
12-15-2003, 05:36 PM
I agree that Gregg Williams will be gone by the time FA happens. Also, I think TD and the new coach will discuss Bledsoe, Winfield, etc. My feeling is that if the new coach is semi-competent (Not Jim Haslett) Bledsoe will be gone.

Billy Volek is not Rob Johson. He is not a can't miss propspect but few are. There is enough NFL tape of this guy from 4 years in the NFL plus his college career to make a decent scouting assessment. I am not an NFL scout but I can't see how Donahoe could not have noticed this guy. He did the same thing to us in the pre-season. Anyways, I like Volek better than drafting a QB high (Rounds 1-2). And BTW, if you're going to bring up Rob Johnson you can use that logic to not take any player. For example, Ryan Leaf sucked so I don't want Eli Manning, in the draft. The game is not to never acquire a QB in a particular manner because you had a failure with that method before. If Bledsoe is replaced:

Either you:
1. Acquire a QB from another team through FA or trade.
2. You draft a QB.
3. You already have a QB on your roster.

I don't think 3. So I think we need to do a combo of 1 & 2. I would rather get Billy Volek, keep AVP as insurance AND draft a QB cheaply, rounds 3-7 or undrafted FA.

HenryRules
12-15-2003, 06:41 PM
Originally posted by baalworship
There is enough NFL tape of this guy from 4 years in the NFL plus his college career to make a decent scouting assessment.

In the last 4 years, I bet he hasn't thrown 80 passes That's not a lot to go by in my books. Preseason games are meaningles ... backups go against backups so it's like basing a guy's NFL potential on how he does in NFLE.

I have no problem with us bringing someone like him in to beat out AVP for the backup role ... but I'd much rather have Drew as our QB next year than Voleck.

Ð
12-15-2003, 06:42 PM
Any more bandwagons to jump on ?

justasportsfan
12-15-2003, 06:45 PM
TD does his scouting qb's during warm-ups just like he scouted Drew and not while he's playing.

I agree with Phil, Volek would have to play more than 1 game to prove he can play. Just like Brady and Bulger.

The Spaz
12-15-2003, 07:04 PM
Originally posted by justasportsfan
TD does his scouting qb's during warm-ups just like he scouted Drew and not while he's playing.

I agree with Phil, Volek would have to play more than 1 game to prove he can play. Just like Brady and Bulger.

Oh please you can't compare that to Volek. Bledsoe has played way longer than Volek. Terrible comparison.:lol:

justasportsfan
12-15-2003, 07:14 PM
Originally posted by The Spaz

Oh please you can't compare that to Volek. Bledsoe has played way longer than Volek. Terrible comparison.:lol:

Who's comparing Volek to Drew. I would never compare Volek to Drew, Volek is way better :snicker:

I would love to eat crow if I am ever wrong about Drew. The bills are my team and I've supported Drew. He is however one of the MAJOR re3asons why we failed to make playoffs. I've blasted GW and KG. It's only fair that Drew get's his share of the blame.

BAM
12-15-2003, 07:46 PM
:lol!:

Volek for president!!

:jk:

BAM
12-15-2003, 07:47 PM
he did look good against us yesterday though..

Billsouth
12-15-2003, 08:02 PM
before we throw bledsoe out with the bath water why dont we give him a line that allows him to complete a 7 step drop before getting pummeled. try doing your job when less then 2 seconds after u start u have 3 guys surrounding u for the sole purpose of taking u down to the ground.

baalworship
12-15-2003, 09:26 PM
Bledsoe has regressed big time this year. The fact is, he has a strong defense AND running game and still can't make any plays. He misses receivers that are 10 yards away. He has no touch on short passes and HORRIBLE pocket awareness.

We can either

A. Get another Pro-bowl receiver, TE, Center and 2 guards coordinator and o-line coach. Hopefully if these are the best in each category Bledsoe can be average OR

B. Get rid of Bledsoe and get somebody that can play QB with a less than perfect o-line. This line isn't great but it's much better than what we had in 2001 for Rob Johnson and AVP. This is the worst QBing I have EVER SEEN for a Bills QB. (I started watching every Bills game in 1987...)

The reason for this Volek thread is I believe we don't need greatness from our QB spot. A guy that can make some throws, avoid the rush and hand the ball to Travis Henry & McGahee. Bledsoe hasn't made ANY throws this year and a change at QB is badly needed. Hopefully, the new regime will move on and look for results over promise and hype. Bledsoe still has the physical tools but his head is messed up. He doesn't play the position the way it needs to be played. Let some other team try to salvage him. I want to go the Superbowl next year. Volek, AVP and a young draftee will be all we need to win games next year.

Wys was spot on. It only took about 7 games to come to the same conclusions he had come to before this year started.

Turf
12-15-2003, 10:10 PM
Almost every QB in the league I've seen this year looks better than Bledsoe, even backups. There is no crispness to his game whatsoever. He's uncoached, and unlearned.

The Spaz
12-15-2003, 10:13 PM
unlearned?!:confused::beer:

Turf
12-15-2003, 10:23 PM
Ok he sucks. Unlearned. He doesn't get the gameplan if there is one. He is lost. Fire drill. Out in left field. He reniged on his deal to be the Bills QB. Didn't follow suit. Weasled out. Unlearned.

saviorbledsoe
12-16-2003, 06:05 AM
Originally posted by Billsouth
before we throw bledsoe out with the bath water why dont we give him a line that allows him to complete a 7 step drop before getting pummeled. try doing your job when less then 2 seconds after u start u have 3 guys surrounding u for the sole purpose of taking u down to the ground.

Thank GOD! I am not the only one :yankee:

These people would cut/trade their mothers if she was a gourmet chef all her life but made a couple of bad dinners in a row.

justasportsfan
12-16-2003, 07:45 AM
Originally posted by saviorbledsoe

Thank GOD! I am not the only one :yankee:

These people would cut/trade their mothers if she was a gourmet chef all her life but made a couple of bad dinners in a row.

You're not the only one in denial. :confused: A couple of games? HAha! Even Fiedler looked better than Drew throwing that ball.

I can easily blame our OL for folding up but how do you explain Drew missing targets 5-10 yds unpressured?

saviorbledsoe
12-16-2003, 09:00 AM

You're not the only one in denial. :confused: A couple of games? HAha! Even Fiedler looked better than Drew throwing that ball.

I can easily blame our OL for folding up but how do you explain Drew missing targets 5-10 yds unpressured?

I dont know justa ....I guess that PROBOWLER from last year who owns a lot of NFL records should be cut. I mean....if he was so good he was a pro bowler last year and becomes a lousy QB this year..... I am sure there is no way the door could swing back the other way next year and he would be a pro bowler again. You are right. We should give up after 1 bad year.

AND I DIDNT SAY COUPLE OF BAD GAMES !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DINNERS = YEARS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Disgraciata!!!!!

justasportsfan
12-16-2003, 09:15 AM
Sorry savior. Drew made the Prowbowl last year based on the first half of last season. He has regressed since the second half of last year up to today.

Like I said, I still think with Drew in there, we can make playoffs but that's it. No Superbowl.

As a bills fans who yearns for a superbowl especially since teams like the Pats and BUCS beat us to it, a playoff is not enough. It may be for you but not me.

Don't kid yourself into thinking Drew can "lead" this team to the sb. It won't be because of him that we make it.

I would've have been easy on him if Drew at least acted like a leader and still sucked. He's leading this team just like Rob did and that's my biggest problem. :shakeno:

saviorbledsoe
12-16-2003, 09:33 AM
I dont see him not being a leader....also I also want to WIN the superbowl. Drew has led a team to the Superbowl before 1996. 1 year or even 1 and 1/2 years of average play shouldnt be a reason to give up on someone who COULD be a hall of famer one day.

justasportsfan
12-16-2003, 09:49 AM
I dont see him not being a leader....also I also want to WIN the superbowl. Drew has led a team to the Superbowl before 1996. 1 year or even 1 and 1/2 years of average play shouldnt be a reason to give up on someone who COULD be a hall of famer one day.

Then why did we retire Kelly in his last year? Kelly brought us to 4 sb's and he was just as bad as Drew was this year.

Get over the 1996. It's 2003 already. He was a PAt. What has he done as a bill? Geez, Flutie has half the physical tools Drew has but at least he "led" this team to a wild card and a playoff appearance with less talent.

BTW, to say he's been average for 1 1/2 yrs. is an overstatement. At best he was average but to be more accurate, less than average.

saviorbledsoe
12-16-2003, 10:41 AM

Then why did we retire Kelly in his last year? Kelly brought us to 4 sb's and he was just as bad as Drew was this year.

Get over the 1996. It's 2003 already. He was a PAt. What has he done as a bill? Geez, Flutie has half the physical tools Drew has but at least he "led" this team to a wild card and a playoff appearance with less talent.

BTW, to say he's been average for 1 1/2 yrs. is an overstatement. At best he was average but to be more accurate, less than average.

He went to a God damn probowl and threw for like 4500 yards and took a 3-13 team to 8-8.......AVERAGE??????????????

Gimme a break!

justasportsfan
12-16-2003, 10:51 AM

He went to a God damn probowl and threw for like 4500 yards and took a 3-13 team to 8-8.......AVERAGE??????????????

Gimme a break!

marino holds all those records. Doesn't mean squat without a sb , does it?

No break. Anyone trying to defend Drew using his Pats days need to wake up and face reality. Probowl last year based on the 1st half of the season..... Ha!

I don't think Drew is worthless. I want Drew out of here because I don't think he will take us to the sb. Why waste our time just making the playoffs?

Let's just start with a qb who can take us all the way. The sooner the better.

TedMock
12-16-2003, 11:07 AM
He's not going anywhere. We'll have a new OC next season that, hopefully, realizes that all players have strengths and weaknesses. Maybe the new OC will have a playbook that caters to the players strengths next season. Drew's had a horrible year either way so I'm not taking blame from him. But, we'd all be blind and ignorant if we didn't realize that Gilbride is our biggest problem, not any of the players. Use roll outs and sprint passes with an immobile QB? Use a slow but great blocking back in the slot on passing downs? Realistically, I think we end up with a Phil Rivers in the 2nd round and he sits behind Bledsoe for 2-3 years. I'm not saying I agree or disagree with it but I really think that's what's going to happen. Maybe run some plays where we have a fullback and/or TE floating around as dump off options. We haven't done that this year either. That's what most OC's do. Our's decides that we don't need dump off's and sends everybody out. Brilliant.

BAM
12-16-2003, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by TedMock
We'll have a new OC next season

:pray:

saviorbledsoe
12-16-2003, 04:57 PM
Originally posted by TedMock
He's not going anywhere. We'll have a new OC next season that, hopefully, realizes that all players have strengths and weaknesses. Maybe the new OC will have a playbook that caters to the players strengths next season. Drew's had a horrible year either way so I'm not taking blame from him. But, we'd all be blind and ignorant if we didn't realize that Gilbride is our biggest problem, not any of the players. Use roll outs and sprint passes with an immobile QB? Use a slow but great blocking back in the slot on passing downs? Realistically, I think we end up with a Phil Rivers in the 2nd round and he sits behind Bledsoe for 2-3 years. I'm not saying I agree or disagree with it but I really think that's what's going to happen. Maybe run some plays where we have a fullback and/or TE floating around as dump off options. We haven't done that this year either. That's what most OC's do. Our's decides that we don't need dump off's and sends everybody out. Brilliant.

Smartest thing I have seen on here in months!