• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • OpIv37
    Acid Douching Asswipe
    • Sep 2002

Reflections on the 2003 Season

Biggest surprises: Cincinatti and Houston- they're both going to be tough. Honorable Mention: Dallas. A good coach had them playing way above their level, even though they've cooled off.

Biggest Disappointments: Bills, Buccaneers, Giants Redskins.

The biggest contrast is between teams like Dallas and teams like Buffalo. Bad coaching had the Bills consistently underachieving all year. Sure, there's lots of blame to go around, but it all comes back to the guy on the top of the organizational chart. Go to hell, Gregg, and take your extra G with you. Meanwhile, Dallas overachieved for most of the season due to good coaching. It caught up with them, but it shows how a mediocre team with a good coach can go far.

Speaking of bad coaching, let's talk about the Redskins. Spurrier is SMALL TIME. In Florida, this guy played 3 ranked teams a year then got to spend 8 games beating up on completely outmatched teams like Florida A and M. It's not so easy when all of the teams start on a level playing field. This guy should be coaching the local junior college's JV team, and Dan Snyder should be kicking himself for not letting Marty stay at least one more season.

The Raiders beat Baltimore this weekend, but they deserve their pitiful season simply for signing Rob Johnson. This guy's been rejected by 3 teams- he's damaged goods and has proven time and time again that he's not even worth the league minimum.

Miami has a big task ahead of them: proving they can win in December. They're hanging with the Eagles as I'm typing this, but we'll see what happens this week and next. It's almost like they have to clinch home field by Thanksgiving in order to do anything in the playoffs, because they can't win in cold weather (granted, they have a few more shots remaining this year).

Just some thoughts- somewhat incoherent but I'm still so pissed about the Bills season that coherent thought is difficult.
    MiKiDo Facebook
    MiKiDo Website
  • socalfan
    Old Fogey from Cali
    • Feb 2003

Originally posted by OpIv37
    ...... Sure, there's lots of blame to go around, but it all comes back to the guy on the top of the organizational chart. Go to hell, Gregg, and take your extra G with you. ......

I agree with most of your sentiments for the season and the Bills. But, the top of the organizational chart is TD....and I think he assumes a major part in the responsibility for this season.

TD -

1) Hired GW.
    2) Didn't fire GW last year.

And I dread to see who he will be selecting for the new head coach of the Bills.

Comment

• mypoorfriendme
      • Apr 2003

id like to see drew bledsoe's reflection today on what he said in the preseason about the playoffs and super bowl....go drew!!!
      the dude abides

Comment

• The Spaz
        • Mar 2003

Originally posted by socalfan

I agree with most of your sentiments for the season and the Bills. But, the top of the organizational chart is TD....and I think he assumes a major part in the responsibility for this season.

TD -

1) Hired GW.
        2) Didn't fire GW last year.

And I dread to see who he will be selecting for the new head coach of the Bills.
        I don' think you can evaluate anyone after 2 years besides he has a contract for 3 years and this is his last year. This is year 3 and he's gone. He went from 3-13 to 8-8 to?. He didn't improve this year so his fate is pretty much sealed.

Comment

• Jan Reimers
          Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
          • May 2003

Originally posted by OpIv37

The biggest contrast is between teams like Dallas and teams like Buffalo. Bad coaching had the Bills consistently underachieving all year. Sure, there's lots of blame to go around, but it all comes back to the guy on the top of the organizational chart. Go to hell, Gregg, and take your extra G with you. Meanwhile, Dallas overachieved for most of the season due to good coaching. It caught up with them, but it shows how a mediocre team with a good coach can go far.
          Imagine our talent - even with our problem areas - being coached by someone with Parcells' capabilities.
          Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• socalfan
            Old Fogey from Cali
            • Feb 2003

Originally posted by Jan Reimers
            Imagine our talent - even with our problem areas - being coached by someone with Parcells' capabilities.
            I find it hard to imagine TD hiring a head coach of Parcell's stature. So, imagining your scenario is impossible.

Comment

• socalfan
              Old Fogey from Cali
              • Feb 2003

Originally posted by The Spaz
              I don' think you can evaluate anyone after 2 years besides he has a contract for 3 years and this is his last year. This is year 3 and he's gone. He went from 3-13 to 8-8 to?. He didn't improve this year so his fate is pretty much sealed.
              In most cases it is hard to evaluate anyone with the amount of uphevel the Bills had going on in player personnel. But in this case it isn't the won-loss record that should seal GW's fate, it is his lack of ability to:

1) manage a game
              2) strategize and game plan
              3) make game day adjustments
              4) hire assistant coaches
              5) analyze the data and make sound conclusions.

And these problems have been prevalent throughout his tenure as headcoach of the Bills. He never improved in any of these areas over the 3 years he has been associated with the Bills. And I can't help but feel that the Bills could have achieved so much more if GW were just fired before the season started.

Comment

• Jan Reimers
                Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
                • May 2003

Originally posted by socalfan
                I find it hard to imagine TD hiring a head coach of Parcell's stature. So, imagining your scenario is impossible.
                You're right. TD is a very insecure genius.
                Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

Working...
                X
                😀
                😂
                🥰
                😘
                🤢
                😎
                😞
                😡
                👍