Volek out for season......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MCMiracleGirl
    All right all right!!! It was a FORWARD LATERAL!!
    • Jun 2003

Volek out for season......

I thought you all might find this interesting after his great performance against the Bills on Sunday.

A little more than 24 hours after leading the Titans to victory in his first NFL start, backup quarterback Billy Volek found out yesterday his season is over.

The fourth-year pro suffered a lacerated spleen in Tennessee's 28-26 victory over the Buffalo Bills on Sunday at the Coliseum. The injury was discovered in tests late yesterday after Volek complained of abdominal pain throughout the day. He was admitted to Baptist Hospital last night, The Tennessean has learned.

Volek is expected to remain in intensive care for at least 48 hours to determine whether or not he needs surgery. Either way his season is over, although the injury is not career threatening.

Starting quarterback Steve McNair, who missed the Buffalo game with a cracked bone spur in his left ankle, is expected to return for Sunday's game at Houston against the Texans.

Former Titans backup quarterback Neil O'Donnell figures to be the top choice to replace Volek. O'Donnell, who spent the 1999-2002 seasons with the Titans, was released at the end of training camp and he still maintains a residence in Nashville.

Rookie Jason Gesser, yet to play in an NFL game, is the only other quarterback on the roster.

Volek threw for 295 yards and two touchdowns against the Bills. He also ran for a touchdown. It's unclear when he suffered the spleen injury, though he took several big hits. He was sacked four times, twice by Bills defensive end Aaron Schobel.

Volek, who has been suffering from flu-like symptoms for several weeks, was treated for dehydration and weakness after the game, spending more than an hour in the training room. X-rays on his aching ribs were negative. Too weak to walk to the parking lot, Volek was taken to his truck on a cart and then driven home by his wife, Kerri.

Volek returned to team headquarters yesterday and spoke with the media. He apologized for not being able to conduct interviews after the game Sunday.

''After (a) shower I sat down in front of my locker and I just broke down in a sweat. I was dripping from my arms and my body. It was uncontrollable,'' Volek said yesterday. ''It took me a while to get back to normal.''

He also expressed optimism that he could play against the Texans if needed.

Volek found out about an hour before kickoff against the Bills he would start in place of McNair, whose streak of consecutive starts ended at 45 games.

Earlier yesterday Volek described the game as ''a day he'd always waited for'' and said it all didn't sink in until he was home with family and friends late Sunday night.

''We hung out and watched TV. We had a good time, watched SportsCenter a little bit,'' Volek said yesterday. '' … We all had smiles on our faces.''

Jim Wyatt covers the Titans for The Tennessean. He can be reached at 259-8015 or jimwyatt111@hotmail.com
  • shelby
    The Vanilla admin
    • Jul 2002

Bummer. i hope he has a speedy recovery.

Comment

• MCMiracleGirl
      All right all right!!! It was a FORWARD LATERAL!!
      • Jun 2003

Just thought I'd update the story after Jeff Fisher's press conference.

Volek is being moved from ICU b/c his blood counts are elevating (which is a good thing). Removal of his spleen is not likely to be necessary at this time. However, Volek will still be out for the season as this type of injury takes 8-12 weeks to heal.

The injury more than likely occured in the 3rd quarter from a Takeo Spikes hit.

Neil O'Donnell is flying in to talk to the Titans about a contract for the next two games. Should be hammered out tonight.

Comment

• Cntrygal
        Visually stunning but camera-shy.
        • Jul 2002

Thanks for the update!
        Originally posted by notacon
        The biggest thing we learned from the Bills is that they are a resilient bunch and did what they had to do to win instead of past years where they fold like a cheap lawn chair.

For news, articles and other "stuff"... BillsZone.com

Comment

Working...
        X
        😀
        😂
        🥰
        😘
        🤢
        😎
        😞
        😡