PDA

View Full Version : Regardless of who our QB is next year

HenryRules
12-16-2003, 07:23 AM
Regardless of who we have at QB next year ... we better get some receivers who can catch the ball consistently.

I don't think Bledsoe is blameless, but I can't see any team going far when their receivers seem to drop 10% of the catchable balls including many key catches on 3rd downs.

All year, at least one of Reed or Shaw seemed to be having the dropsies. For two guys that are possession-style receivers, that's just horrible.

casdhf
12-16-2003, 07:49 AM
The Moulds injury really hurt.

Tatonka
12-16-2003, 08:16 AM
Comments elicited from one AFC college scout and one NFC pro scout:

on Darrell Jackson
"He might not break the bank, at least not to the extent he will want to, but a guy we like already in free agency is (Seattle wide receiver) Darrell Jackson. Since he isn't the classic 'lead' receiver, there's only so much any team will pay him, including us, even though he is near the top of our (unrestricted) list. But he is very good, has some surprising speed, and he makes plays. Yeah, I know all about all those (dropped passes) this year, and you can't ignore that. But he is very quietly over 1,000 yards for the year, which many people might not realize, and in the last four games (26 catches, 423 yards, five touchdowns), he has been something else."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=pasquarelli_len&id=1686470

Dozerdog
12-16-2003, 08:55 AM
I'm concerned the Bills won't have their pick of free agents like they did last offseason.

There are 11-12 teams with more cap space than the Bills- totalling allmost $200-$250 Million to spend. Only 3-4 teams are at/over the cap

I think a lot of teams will resign their own FA's or really toss around outlandish contracts at a few players.

Jan Reimers
12-16-2003, 09:32 AM
Originally posted by HenryRules

All year, at least one of Reed or Shaw seemed to be having the dropsies. For two guys that are possession-style receivers, that's just horrible.

We really need a 2nd reciever behind Moulds - Reed and Shaw are no more than 3rd and 4th guys. I'm really disappointed with Reed - he doesn't get good separation nor much RAC, besides dropping too many balls.

I'd like to see us take a big time speed reciever in the draft, while using free agency to add a DE and bolster our O line.

R. Rich
12-16-2003, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by Jan Reimers
We really need a 2nd reciever behind Moulds - Reed and Shaw are no more than 3rd and 4th guys. I'm really disappointed with Reed - he doesn't get good separation nor much RAC, besides dropping too many balls.

I'd like to see us take a big time speed reciever in the draft, while using free agency to add a DE and bolster our O line.

Jan, have we given up on Josh Reed so early (after only 2 seasons)? Have we also given up on Aiken, Coleman, and Brown? I think we all agree that Gilbride has misused personnel here and botched the play calling. That said, have we seen enough of these guys to just quit on them, or do we see what they can do with a better coordinator?

ShadowHawk7
12-16-2003, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by Jan Reimers

I'm agreeing w/ Rich on this one. I bet u thought Moulds was the biggest bust this side of Eric Flowers till his 3rd year. Bobby, even w/o great speed, and big play potential and great hands, except for one game. Reed is a young, developing player in the mold of Hines Ward. I'll give him one more year before judgement. But yes i think we need a receiver in the draft, but round 3 at BEST. I want Drew Carter. Does ne1 know wut round we should pick him in?

Jan Reimers
12-16-2003, 02:02 PM
I'm not convinced that Reed has the speed or the ability to get separation that is required of a big time receiver. But I like the guy, and I hope I'm wrong - it certainly won't be the first time!

helmetguy
12-16-2003, 05:47 PM
Andre Reed wasn't a typical burner, either. His forte was catching balls in traffic, across the middle and RAC. I think, used properly (and without the added pressure of being P. Price incarnate) he'll develop into a reliable WR.

mchurchfie
12-16-2003, 06:17 PM
We need a speed receiver on the outside..Terry Glenn would have looked pretty good in our offense.

HenryRules
12-16-2003, 06:23 PM
I'm not ready to write reed off yet ... but I definitely don't think he's currently at the stage where he can be a #2 in a contending offense.

This year he could not be relied upon to catch the ball and he's not a deep threat. As I said, that's not acceptable.