PDA

View Full Version : It's heartbreaking to be a Bills fan

northernbillfan
12-16-2003, 12:48 PM
This has to be the toughest team to cheer for in all of football, hell all of sports. We suffer heartbreaks every season, wide right, a latteral pass, a forgotten helmet, a yard short here, a play short there. Every season the Buffalo Bills give their fans another reason to abandon them, but we stick through it.

We are the toughest fans in the league, ERGO, we are the most dedicated fans too.

venis2k1
12-16-2003, 01:38 PM
no, at least we have hope, the cards fans are the toughest in the league.

northernbillfan
12-16-2003, 01:43 PM
Cards fans would be the toughest if they went to the games.

20,000 tickets were GIVEN away for last Sundays game, and 12,000 showed up.

Jan Reimers
12-16-2003, 01:57 PM
Kids getting cancer is heartbreaking. Your favorite dog dying is heartbreaking.

Being a Bills fan is simply a challenge.

Historian
12-16-2003, 02:24 PM
Try following them for 36 years, and then we'll talk.

Patrick76777
12-16-2003, 02:47 PM
This season was disappointing in some regards, but I understand that this team is still in rebuilding mode. The disappointing part comes from the fact that we should have been better this year. I expected 9 or 10 wins this year so yes they underachieved for me.

When I say that I expected 9 or 10 wins, that’s not to say that I don’t think they can do better then that. I never sell the Bills short. I want them to win every game regardless of what I pick.

For me, it’s about the various levels of success and what I can be happy with. There are currently 32 teams in the league. And of those 32, each team has the same goal. So the chances of winning it from year to year, are not good. In the perfect world, we’d have 31 Superbowl winners over the next 32 years (Sorry, in my perfect world the Dolphins will never win another one). And everybody would be happy. But we all know that it doesn’t work that way.

So why should I set myself up for a big fall every year? I’ve been following the Bills since 1982 when I was 6 years old. That’s 21 years of my life (The first 2 years, I didn’t really know what was going on, but by 84, I was into every win and every loss). So over the last 21 seasons, if I had only one acceptable goal, the Superbowl, I would be depressed every season! Now don’t get me wrong, Every Non-Superbowl winning year, ends on a bad note. But that doesn’t mean the entire season was a bad season! For example, I was pleased with the following seasons.

The first Superbowl season – Great Championship game. Great Superbowl. Fun year
The year with the comeback – sure we got blown out in the superbowl, but getting there was fun
The year we beat Miami in the playoffs and Bruce got sick.
The year of the Homerun Throwback
Last year – coming off a 3-13 year and finishing up 8-8, Exciting year.

I don’t think that gives me a loser attitude, some people here say, “Superbowl or Bust”. That’s just not a practical way to look at it for me.

For me, this year would have been considered a success with a playoff berth and a first round loss.

Next year, I’m going to need at least one playoff win! Maybe even more!

That’s just me.

Jan Reimers
12-16-2003, 03:03 PM
Originally posted by Billsology

I've followed them for 44 years. Used to go to the Knox Estate in the summer of '60 to watch them practice. It's been frustrating, disappointing, irritating and, on many occasions, great!

The word heartbreaking, however, should be used for much more tragic events.

LtBillsFan66
12-16-2003, 03:08 PM
I'm with Jan and Pat on this one.

Mr. Miyagi
12-16-2003, 03:11 PM
Originally posted by Jan Reimers
Yes, like my loss last night in fantasy football. Should've known better than relying on the Miami D to get me to the championship game. :mad:

northernbillfan
12-16-2003, 05:23 PM
Originally posted by Billsology

Been a fan sicne the mid '70. 28 years

Originally posted by Jan Reimers

Yeah I hear ya. It was the first word in regards to disappointment that popped into my head.

helmetguy
12-16-2003, 05:31 PM
Originally posted by billsfanone
I'm with Jan and Pat on this one.

Ditto!