PDA

View Full Version : who would you rather have and why

shadowfax
12-17-2003, 08:29 PM
nick saban | dennis green | tom coughlin

Ingtar? you out there? thoughts?

helmetguy
12-17-2003, 08:45 PM
None of the above. Promote LeBeau, install Steckel as OC, hire a QB coach. LeBeau and Steckel have familiarity with the players and could provide some continuity. After all, most of the Bills' difficulties came from an intransigent OC who loved his "system" more than he loved production. LeBeau would have the support of TD in obtaining the missing pieces, either in FA or through the draft that he never had with Mike Brown in Cincy.

Dozerdog
12-17-2003, 08:50 PM
Originally posted by shadowfax
nick saban | dennis green | tom coughlin

Ingtar? you out there? thoughts?

Well, if money and wanting power over player personell were not an issue- I'd take Nick Saban. He's going to be the next big time coach- in the Bellichick mold (but a lot more personality)

Next would be Coughlin. His no- nonsense approach will get this team disciplined.

Dennis Green is an option, but I feel he brings in some baggage. He has put together 10 winning seasons with 10 different starting QB's

Dozerdog
12-17-2003, 08:53 PM
Originally posted by helmetguy
None of the above. Promote LeBeau, install Steckel as OC, hire a QB coach. LeBeau and Steckel have familiarity with the players and could provide some continuity. After all, most of the Bills' difficulties came from an intransigent OC who loved his "system" more than he loved production. LeBeau would have the support of TD in obtaining the missing pieces, either in FA or through the draft that he never had with Mike Brown in Cincy.

I think "familiarity of the system" is way overrated. The system sucks. Start fresh. Changing the cosmetics on the pig still makes it a pig in makeup.

If a new coach wants them to stay on- so be it

ryguy8161
12-17-2003, 09:34 PM
Coughlin. Getting an expansion team to the AFC Championsip game in their 2nd season is unheard of.

helmetguy
12-17-2003, 10:29 PM
Originally posted by Dozerdog
I think "familiarity of the system" is way overrated. The system sucks. Start fresh. Changing the cosmetics on the pig still makes it a pig in makeup.

If a new coach wants them to stay on- so be it

I didn't say "familiarity with the system." I said "familiarity with the PLAYERS." I agree, KG's system sucked, but he's so infatuated with it that he refused to adjust. That's why he's got to go. GW has to go for a laundry list of reasons. Don't mistake "continuity" regarding LeBeau as acceptance of KG's ill conceived "schemes."

mackey789
12-17-2003, 10:34 PM
i agree - promote lebeau and get a new offensive system. We have a good defense...why tear that apart? We have to win next year and i believe that by replacing GW and KG we will accomplish that

Tatonka
12-17-2003, 11:04 PM
Originally posted by Dozerdog
Changing the cosmetics on the pig still makes it a pig in makeup.

:lol:

i would take any of them really.. saban would be the most exciting, but because he is new, with no nfl track history.. green would be next in line on that list.. coughlin could be good too

Jan Reimers
12-18-2003, 06:59 AM
Coughlin. He has tons of experience, is a no-nonsense disciplinarian who would get this team going in the right direction, and has said that he wouldn't need to be in charge of player personnel at this point.

TigerJ
12-18-2003, 08:49 AM
Nick Saban would be my first choice. He has head coaching experience in college and coordinator experience in the NFL. I think he is knowledgeable about both offence and defence. Dennis Green is a winner, but has never taken his team to the top. He has a history of not getting along with team management. Tom Coughlin know how to build a winner, but alienates his players. He would be a short term coach because after a few years his players mutiny. I really don't know if Dick LeBeau wants to be an NFL head coach again. He has had the best of both worlds this year, consulting lets him make contributions that helps the defence improve, but he has none of the pressure cooker life of the head coach. Les Steckel is also an option for head coach if he can bring in a decent OC.

Brack733
12-18-2003, 09:14 AM
I don't think discipline is really the issue. The team does not make a lot of undisciplined mistakes compared to the rest of the teams in the league.

A lot of you seem to like the idea of this tough, no nonsense, jerk coach. You seem to ignore the fact that he was run out of Jacksonville for petty power disputes and widespread dislike for him.

I would take Denny Green, Saban, and maybe Fassel over Coughlin.

justasportsfan
12-18-2003, 09:38 AM
Any of the options and even the Lebeau option. I'll take Coughlin as first.

As long as he keeps Gilbride far away from this team.

don137
12-18-2003, 12:14 PM
As much as I like Nick Saban I really doubt we would pursue him because he is likely to command a high salary and he would want more control over personnel than TD would be willing to give up.

Bert102176
12-18-2003, 10:50 PM
none I would look at Lovie Smith

Muck
12-18-2003, 11:28 PM
If you guys were to get Nick Saban, I'd be so p*ssed. Luckily, he's rumored to be more interested in the Miami job.

Saban is probably my favorite of any potentially available coach out there. His Cleveland defenses under Belichick were dominant. And his secondaries in Houston were top notch. I think he's going to be a fantastic NFL head coach.

Muck
12-18-2003, 11:29 PM
Originally posted by Bert102176
none I would look at Lovie Smith

Lovie Smith is another good one. I think he'll end up with McKay in Atlanta.

Hey, Wanny's gonna be available. I think he'd be perfect for Buffalo. I'd be happy for you if you got him. ;)

Muck
12-18-2003, 11:32 PM
Coughlin is a mean SOB. I don't know how I feel about him.

Denny Green carries a lot of baggage I think. He's a control guy. Would he be willing to work under a strong GM like Donahoe?? If so, I still can't see him being a "good soldier" for too long. I think he'd start rocking the boat within a year or so.

The_Philster
12-19-2003, 03:02 AM
Originally posted by Muck
Lovie Smith is another good one. I think he'll end up with McKay in Atlanta.

Hey, Wanny's gonna be available. I think he'd be perfect for Buffalo. I'd be happy for you if you got him. ;)

Yeah...and we'd love for you to get Williams. :D

Historian
12-19-2003, 05:23 AM
I would take Coughlin. If I can't have the Tuna...I'll take one of his disciples.