Buffalo selects 15th

1. Will Smith, DE, OSU
2. Andrew Walter, QB, ASU
3. Steve Pederson, G, LSU
4. Derrek Hamilton, WR, Clemson
5. Vince Carter, C, Oklahoma
6. Greg Brooks, DB, So. Miss
7. Rashaad Washington, D, K-State

http://www.thehuddlereport.com/2004DRAFT/computerdraft.html (http://www.thehuddlereport.com.html)

Dozerdog
12-18-2003, 09:06 AM
I like it- we better get a DE and CB in Free Agency (or resign winfield)

Halbert
12-18-2003, 10:37 AM
Have they ever done an analysis of how accurate these mock drafts are?

Even for lists made just days before the draft it seems they are about 50% correct for the first round, 20% correct for the second round, and a complete WAG after that.

I know we do it just for fun but curious if accuracy has ever been measured.

Tatonka
12-18-2003, 10:39 AM
i would puke with that draft..

god, please no...

TigerJ
12-18-2003, 11:46 AM
A little bit of background info on that mock. It was done back in November and it's a computer mock. They fed a list of team needs, a ranked database of players, and a draft order and the computer spit out the mock.

I think 50% is being generous for round one, Halbert. It depends on how accuracy is measured. If you demand the right player by the right team, maybe the top third of the draft will come out better than that, but the further you go, the fact that teams may pick a player before he's projected to go forces the mock further and further out of whack. The player who is no longer available forces the team projected to pick someone else which removes still another player from availability.

As you say, it's still fun.

Devin
12-18-2003, 12:19 PM
Am I the only one who would prefer a stud WR over a DE first?

Just appears to me offence should be our priority.

Giving Drew a target aside from moulds, and perhaps preventing him from getting demolished.

SABURZFAN
12-18-2003, 01:55 PM
i wouldn't be too impressed with that draft.

ShadowHawk7
12-18-2003, 01:56 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Devin
[B]Am I the only one who would prefer a stud WR over a DE first?

Yes, i think u are. :cynic:

Jan Reimers
12-18-2003, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by Devin
[B]Am I the only one who would prefer a stud WR over a DE first?

I'd take a WR, too, if he were more highly rated overall than the best available DE.

Devin
12-18-2003, 03:20 PM
well i just say that because our defense is what kept us in the season, I agere we could use a bit better DL, but certainly not as big a priority as our Offence.

A nice big speedy wideout, and maybe some OL help would do wonders I think.

If we signed winfield, and grabbed a decent DL prospect. I would think we trade up or down for a solid WR and perhaps a future QB/OL help.

Just my thought as like i said our defence isnt perfect but its deffo not the weakest area of our team.

Tatonka
12-18-2003, 09:18 PM
Originally posted by Devin
well i just say that because our defense is what kept us in the season, I agere we could use a bit better DL, but certainly not as big a priority as our Offence.

A nice big speedy wideout, and maybe some OL help would do wonders I think.

If we signed winfield, and grabbed a decent DL prospect. I would think we trade up or down for a solid WR and perhaps a future QB/OL help.

Just my thought as like i said our defence isnt perfect but its deffo not the weakest area of our team.

problem with adding a stud wr in the draft is that it take 2-3 years for that "stud" to develope... guys like moss and boldin are so so so rare..

josh reed still has a very good chance of being that stud that you are looking for.. moulds was nothing until his 3rd year, and a qb change (flutie stepped in and started throwing the ball up for him to go get).. we all know that reed has the skills to be every bit as good as hines ward.

bobby shaw played great for us this year.

and we already have a good young receiver in aiken, that i am not ready to bury on the bench... UNLESS it is for a experienced receiver that i know is already very good..

so basically.. it comes down to .. darrell jackson or no one! :D

Bert102176
12-18-2003, 10:46 PM
I really doubt we will draft a defensive player with our 1st pick, I think either OL, WR, QB, TE

TigerJ
12-18-2003, 10:47 PM
When the draft actually happens there are all kinds of variables that can't be predicted ahead of time.

Will Smith is the only DE I'd be interested in in round one. If he's gone, I would look elsewhere.

WR is one spot I think the Bills might be interested in. If they were to take a receiver in round one, I would think he would have to have the whole package, size, hands, production in college and speed to stretch the D. Otherwise they're just adding more of what we already have.

Another offensive spot could be tight end. Moore may be history, and Buffalo might like to have a more athletic guy than Campbell to stretch defences from the TE spot. I think Winslow will be gone, but Ben Troupe might be available.

If Sean Taylor drops, I could see Buffalo picking him, but I'd be a little surprised if he's around where the Bills will end up picking. I don't think any guards or centers are rated high enough to make any an obvious first round pick.

Buffalo could look for a young DT. Neither Adams nor Williams are young guys, and Adams has arthritic knees. I don't know if Edwards will ever amount to much and I think Bannan is destined to be a career backup. The Bills could stand to look for the stud DT of the future. Randy Starks and Marcus Tubbs might be reasonable choices in the middle of round one.

Finally, if Winfield bolts in free agency, the Bills might use that pick on a CB.

I think I could draw up a list of 6-8 players and have a fair chance of one of them being Buffalo's pick. I wouldn't try to set anything in concrete right now because it's so early. We still don't know all the juniors that will declare. The combine will have an impact, and of course free agency will change things.

If you can't have football from the end of January until training camp, talking draft is the next best thing and makes a few of those months pass by a little more quickly. I love it.

Devin
12-18-2003, 10:53 PM
Tatonka I get you, guess that does make sense. Maybe it would make more sense to get some OL help.

Jan Reimers
12-19-2003, 07:07 AM
I think a stud DE or a quality FS are more likely to contribute right away. WRs and O linemen take longer to develop, and might better be added through free agency. I don't see TE as a major area of need, unless we believe a Ben Coates-type will miraculously ressurect Drew's career.