X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • R. Rich
    • Apr 2003

Offseason Free Agency/Draft Scenario #6

Okay, here's my latest scenario. I tried to work in a left tackle in this one. Let me know what you think of it.
  • The Spaz
    • Mar 2003

Here's another offseason free agency/draft scenario to ponder. Let me know what you think.

Coach: I still say Nick Saban would be the ideal choice here. Others I wouldn't mind seeing here would be Walt Harris of the University of Pittsburgh, Tom Moore, the offensive coordinator of the Indianapolis Colts, or Charlie Weis, OC for the Patriots.

Free Agency

First, I would try to re-sign Antoine Winfield. If that can't be done for a reasonable price, I'd look to acquire Ty Law from the Pats.

Next, I would try to sign LT Walter Jones from the Seattle Seahawks. Other than Jonathan Ogden, you don't find any better than Jones and that includes Orlando Pace.

I would also sign Minnesota backup C Cory Withrow. This guy is versatile enough to play at either guard spot or at center, which gives us flexibility there. That means that if Ruben wont restructure his deal, we can release him after June 1st.

NFL Draft

First thing I'd try to do is to trade down in the first round and pick up an additional pick in the 2nd round, as we did in the trade with the Bucs a few years ago, allowing us to get Clements and Henry. So, I'm figuring such a trade into this scenario.

Round 1: Kenechi Udeze, DE USC
    Big, strong, and fast. This guy could give us the solid DE we need opposite Schobel or he could possibly be used at RDE and we could use Schobel as a situational rusher (which I think he'd be outstanding as).

Round 2: Kris Wilson, TE University of Pittsburgh
    We need an athletic, pass catching TE, right? Well, here he is! He's no Kellen Winslow, but he's not a huge dropoff either.

Round 2: Chad Lavalais, DT LSU
    Big guy who can really play! If you haven't seen him, watch for him in the championship game against Oklahoma. I would be happy to see the Bills get him.

Round 3: Chris Kemoeatu, OG Utah
    The big, nasty powerhouse we need up front!! He's in just about every scenario I've done because I think we would be set if we get him. Our power running game needs him.

Round 4: Madieu Williams, S University of Maryland
    Great coverage skills and his lack of top flight speed should let him fall to us here. Put him at FS, and he could really become a playmaker! He's faster than a lot of safeties playing now and may have better coverage skills than them.

Round 5: Robert Kent, QB Jackson State
    A bit of an unpolished gem, he has the size and the arm to be a good one. He may have to retool his mechanics some, but has the potential to be a steal in the draft.

Round 6: Jabari Greer, CB University of Tennessee
    He would give us depth at CB and could do well as a nicke or dime back. He's very fast, though a bit smallish at 5-10 and 175.

Round 7: Bret Blake, WR Nebraska Wesleyan
    This guy has good size and speed (6-5, 220 and is a sprint champion for the college track team!). I know, I know, he played NAIA ball. Hey, going to someone from a small school as a speed receiver worked for us before, right? Remember a guy from Chadron State named Don Beebe?

Okay, so that's my latest. Not perfect, but it does address a lot of areas with some talented players. If this scenario were to happen, I would be okay with it.-R. Rich

Comment

• The Spaz
      • Mar 2003

I like it except I don't think we have 2 2nd round picks.

Comment

• R. Rich
        • Apr 2003

Originally posted by The Spaz
        I like it except I don't think we have 2 2nd round picks.
        In my note about the draft, I mentioned we would trade down in the first to acquire an additional second.

Comment

• Jan Reimers
          Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
          • May 2003

Rich, you're doing a great job on these. With regard to #6, however, I'd like to see more emphasis on the interior of the O line rather than LT, and more of a "sure thing" at speed WR.
          Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• The Spaz
            • Mar 2003

Originally posted by R. Rich

In my note about the draft, I mentioned we would trade down in the first to acquire an additional second.
            Ok I see it now!

Comment

• R. Rich
              • Apr 2003

Originally posted by Jan Reimers
              Rich, you're doing a great job on these. With regard to #6, however, I'd like to see more emphasis on the interior of the O line rather than LT, and more of a "sure thing" at speed WR.
              Acquiring Jones allows Jennings to move either to center to compete with Withrow for the starting job or to guard to start opposite Ruben (or Kemoeatu?). As for WR, as long as the guy can catch, that's enough for me. He'll be stretching the field with his speed and with the size he has, he'll hold up to any bump and run coverage.

Thanks for the comments. I really appreciate it.

Comment

• Jan Reimers
                Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
                • May 2003

Originally posted by R. Rich
                Acquiring Jones allows Jennings to move either to center to compete with Withrow for the starting job or to guard to start opposite Ruben (or Kemoeatu?). As for WR, as long as the guy can catch, that's enough for me. He'll be stretching the field with his speed and with the size he has, he'll hold up to any bump and run coverage.

Thanks for the comments. I really appreciate it.
                Good point. I hadn't considered Jennings on the inside. He should be terrific there. And if the Blake kid is anywhere near as good as Beebe, he'd be a steal.

Keep up the good work, Rich - it gets us thinking positively at a time when we really need it.
                Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• ShadowHawk7
                  Ground your Jets Vilma, no way you're shooting this guy down.
                  • Mar 2003

In the first round do u think we could get a shot at Will Smith or Sean Taylor? I think it would be much better to get proven OL help (as in Woody or Jones as u guys said) instead of drafting round 1 or 2. Kemoatu or wutever sounds great for round 3. I'm still looking at Drew Carter for our next great reciever. Wut do u guys think of him and wut round do u thik we could get him in?
                  "It's not whether you win or lose; it's how you play the game."
                  -Vince Lombardi

Comment

• stuckincincy
                    Buffalo Bills Fan
                    • Sep 2003

Originally posted by The Spaz
                    Here's another offseason free agency/draft scenario to ponder. Let me know what you think.

Nice run-down of possibilities. I'll keep my eye on the names mentioned, Spaz.
                    Fiat justitia ruat caelum. Noli timere. Laus Deo.

Comment

• ShadowHawk7
                      Ground your Jets Vilma, no way you're shooting this guy down.
                      • Mar 2003

Also i think TE Jason Dunn would an EXCELLENT pick-up mentioned in an earlier senario. That way we wouldn't have to pick one in the draft. Also didn't we pick up Roland Williams from the Raiders cuz he got injured and they cut him? Wut happened 2 him?
                      "It's not whether you win or lose; it's how you play the game."
                      -Vince Lombardi

Comment

• justasportsfan
                        • Jul 2002

Drafting a DE. Does that mean that in next years draft Kelsay would've been a 4th or 5th rd pick? In some scenarios you have R. Rich (and others I've seen) a DE is somewhere in later rds.

Kelsay must be a bust then. Why draft a DE in the later rds. when we already have Kelsay?
                        sacrifice1
                        https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• Billsouth
                          • Jul 2002

we need to improve our o-line and speed at receiver. we also need a better pass rush and another safety. no offense but i hope this scenario does not come true.
                          "once a raider always a raider"

Comment

• Bert102176
                            • Aug 2002

hows about trading our #1 and Ruben Brown to move up in the draft then take Fitzgerald WR
                            lets go BUFFALO lets go BUFFALO

Comment

• The Spaz
                              • Mar 2003

Originally posted by stuckincincy

Nice run-down of possibilities. I'll keep my eye on the names mentioned, Spaz.
                              Read the whole post!

Comment

Working...
                              X