PDA

View Full Version : Offseason Free Agency/Draft Scenario #6

R. Rich
12-18-2003, 12:03 PM
Okay, here's (http://www.twobillsdrive.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=16857) my latest scenario. I tried to work in a left tackle in this one. Let me know what you think of it.

The Spaz
12-18-2003, 12:05 PM
Here's another offseason free agency/draft scenario to ponder. Let me know what you think.

Coach: I still say Nick Saban would be the ideal choice here. Others I wouldn't mind seeing here would be Walt Harris of the University of Pittsburgh, Tom Moore, the offensive coordinator of the Indianapolis Colts, or Charlie Weis, OC for the Patriots.

Free Agency

First, I would try to re-sign Antoine Winfield. If that can't be done for a reasonable price, I'd look to acquire Ty Law from the Pats.

Next, I would try to sign LT Walter Jones from the Seattle Seahawks. Other than Jonathan Ogden, you don't find any better than Jones and that includes Orlando Pace.

I would also sign Minnesota backup C Cory Withrow. This guy is versatile enough to play at either guard spot or at center, which gives us flexibility there. That means that if Ruben wont restructure his deal, we can release him after June 1st.

NFL Draft

First thing I'd try to do is to trade down in the first round and pick up an additional pick in the 2nd round, as we did in the trade with the Bucs a few years ago, allowing us to get Clements and Henry. So, I'm figuring such a trade into this scenario.

Round 1: Kenechi Udeze, DE USC
Big, strong, and fast. This guy could give us the solid DE we need opposite Schobel or he could possibly be used at RDE and we could use Schobel as a situational rusher (which I think he'd be outstanding as).

Round 2: Kris Wilson, TE University of Pittsburgh
We need an athletic, pass catching TE, right? Well, here he is! He's no Kellen Winslow, but he's not a huge dropoff either.

Round 2: Chad Lavalais, DT LSU
Big guy who can really play! If you haven't seen him, watch for him in the championship game against Oklahoma. I would be happy to see the Bills get him.

Round 3: Chris Kemoeatu, OG Utah
The big, nasty powerhouse we need up front!! He's in just about every scenario I've done because I think we would be set if we get him. Our power running game needs him.

Round 4: Madieu Williams, S University of Maryland
Great coverage skills and his lack of top flight speed should let him fall to us here. Put him at FS, and he could really become a playmaker! He's faster than a lot of safeties playing now and may have better coverage skills than them.

Round 5: Robert Kent, QB Jackson State
A bit of an unpolished gem, he has the size and the arm to be a good one. He may have to retool his mechanics some, but has the potential to be a steal in the draft.

Round 6: Jabari Greer, CB University of Tennessee
He would give us depth at CB and could do well as a nicke or dime back. He's very fast, though a bit smallish at 5-10 and 175.

Round 7: Bret Blake, WR Nebraska Wesleyan
This guy has good size and speed (6-5, 220 and is a sprint champion for the college track team!). I know, I know, he played NAIA ball. Hey, going to someone from a small school as a speed receiver worked for us before, right? Remember a guy from Chadron State named Don Beebe?

Okay, so that's my latest. Not perfect, but it does address a lot of areas with some talented players. If this scenario were to happen, I would be okay with it.-R. Rich

The Spaz
12-18-2003, 12:08 PM
I like it except I don't think we have 2 2nd round picks.

R. Rich
12-18-2003, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by The Spaz
I like it except I don't think we have 2 2nd round picks.

In my note about the draft, I mentioned we would trade down in the first to acquire an additional second.

Jan Reimers
12-18-2003, 12:14 PM
Rich, you're doing a great job on these. With regard to #6, however, I'd like to see more emphasis on the interior of the O line rather than LT, and more of a "sure thing" at speed WR.

The Spaz
12-18-2003, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by R. Rich

In my note about the draft, I mentioned we would trade down in the first to acquire an additional second.

Ok I see it now!:up:

R. Rich
12-18-2003, 01:21 PM
Originally posted by Jan Reimers
Rich, you're doing a great job on these. With regard to #6, however, I'd like to see more emphasis on the interior of the O line rather than LT, and more of a "sure thing" at speed WR.

Acquiring Jones allows Jennings to move either to center to compete with Withrow for the starting job or to guard to start opposite Ruben (or Kemoeatu?). As for WR, as long as the guy can catch, that's enough for me. He'll be stretching the field with his speed and with the size he has, he'll hold up to any bump and run coverage.

Thanks for the comments. I really appreciate it.

Jan Reimers
12-18-2003, 01:35 PM
Originally posted by R. Rich
Acquiring Jones allows Jennings to move either to center to compete with Withrow for the starting job or to guard to start opposite Ruben (or Kemoeatu?). As for WR, as long as the guy can catch, that's enough for me. He'll be stretching the field with his speed and with the size he has, he'll hold up to any bump and run coverage.

Thanks for the comments. I really appreciate it.

Good point. I hadn't considered Jennings on the inside. He should be terrific there. And if the Blake kid is anywhere near as good as Beebe, he'd be a steal.

Keep up the good work, Rich - it gets us thinking positively at a time when we really need it.

ShadowHawk7
12-18-2003, 01:54 PM
In the first round do u think we could get a shot at Will Smith or Sean Taylor? I think it would be much better to get proven OL help (as in Woody or Jones as u guys said) instead of drafting round 1 or 2. Kemoatu or wutever sounds great for round 3. I'm still looking at Drew Carter for our next great reciever. Wut do u guys think of him and wut round do u thik we could get him in?

stuckincincy
12-18-2003, 01:59 PM
Originally posted by The Spaz
Here's another offseason free agency/draft scenario to ponder. Let me know what you think.

Nice run-down of possibilities. I'll keep my eye on the names mentioned, Spaz. :up:

ShadowHawk7
12-18-2003, 02:04 PM
Also i think TE Jason Dunn would an EXCELLENT pick-up mentioned in an earlier senario. That way we wouldn't have to pick one in the draft. Also didn't we pick up Roland Williams from the Raiders cuz he got injured and they cut him? Wut happened 2 him?

justasportsfan
12-18-2003, 02:09 PM
Drafting a DE. Does that mean that in next years draft Kelsay would've been a 4th or 5th rd pick? In some scenarios you have R. Rich (and others I've seen) a DE is somewhere in later rds.

Kelsay must be a bust then. Why draft a DE in the later rds. when we already have Kelsay?

Billsouth
12-18-2003, 02:21 PM
we need to improve our o-line and speed at receiver. we also need a better pass rush and another safety. no offense but i hope this scenario does not come true.

Bert102176
12-18-2003, 10:54 PM
hows about trading our #1 and Ruben Brown to move up in the draft then take Fitzgerald WR

The Spaz
12-19-2003, 01:07 AM
Originally posted by stuckincincy

Nice run-down of possibilities. I'll keep my eye on the names mentioned, Spaz. :up:

Read the whole post!:up:

Will McGahee Fast
12-19-2003, 03:21 AM
I dont want a TE that isnt a Mothaf**king Soldja! Patna!

Ok seriously, Kris Wilson or Ben Watson. They are my choices for a TE.

SamAdamsFan
12-19-2003, 08:15 AM
Originally posted by justasportsfan
Drafting a DE. Does that mean that in next years draft Kelsay would've been a 4th or 5th rd pick? In some scenarios you have R. Rich (and others I've seen) a DE is somewhere in later rds.

Kelsay must be a bust then. Why draft a DE in the later rds. when we already have Kelsay?

I agree with this. Also, I really don't want to see a fourth year in a row where we draft a DE in the second round, I think it is a wasted pick. Schobel seems to be getting better, and Denney and Kelsay have potential, but I think if you are going to draft at an extremely important position like DE you should either pick real high in the first round to get a real stud or use a later pick. I think this position should be drafted similarly to drafting a QB in this respect. A second round pick could be used to get a fast receiver or good tight end who could start or at least could contribute something in the first year.

justasportsfan
12-19-2003, 08:21 AM
This D is a stud DE away from being dominant. Our lack of turnovers stems from the lack of a pass rush. If we are to win or make this a no.1 dominating D next year that will make playoffs, the DE should be addressed via FA'cy and not a draft who could be a project.

Win now, for tomorrow may never come due to cap.

SamAdamsFan
12-19-2003, 08:26 AM
Right on, I hope we get Kearse.

E-Klips
12-19-2003, 08:30 AM
Originally posted by SamAdamsFan

I agree with this. Also, I really don't want to see a fourth year in a row where we draft a DE in the second round, I think it is a wasted pick. Schobel seems to be getting better, and Denney and Kelsay have potential, but I think if you are going to draft at an extremely important position like DE you should either pick real high in the first round to get a real stud or use a later pick. I think this position should be drafted similarly to drafting a QB in this respect. A second round pick could be used to get a fast receiver or good tight end who could start or at least could contribute something in the first year.

Did either your or justafan see that a DE was taken in the first round in this? He also would use a 2nd round pick (one of TWO due to a trade) to get a receiving TE.

SamAdamsFan
12-19-2003, 08:35 AM
Yes I saw this, but we will start off with probably a middle round 1st draft pick. By the time we trade down and get an extra second round pick, our first round pick wouldn't be better than the 25th overall pick or so, which in my book isn't significantly different from a 2nd round pick. I think any stud DE would be gone after the 5th overall pick.

E-Klips
12-19-2003, 08:56 AM
Originally posted by SamAdamsFan
Yes I saw this, but we will start off with probably a middle round 1st draft pick. By the time we trade down and get an extra second round pick, our first round pick wouldn't be better than the 25th overall pick or so, which in my book isn't significantly different from a 2nd round pick. I think any stud DE would be gone after the 5th overall pick.

I don't think there are ANY stud DEs in this draft. None are sure shots, but from what I've heard about Udeze, he could be a great fit for the Bills. He has the size and speed to maybe become the LDE we need to work with Schobel and give us two good pass rushers on the outside. He could also help shut down the outside running plays. I like him better than Will Smith, who I think is undersized and might be better off moved to LB, like the Ravens did for Boulware.

justasportsfan
12-19-2003, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by E-Klips

Did either your or justafan see that a DE was taken in the first round in this? He also would use a 2nd round pick (one of TWO due to a trade) to get a receiving TE.

Sure did. I don't follow college ball and don't know the players that well. That's why I was asking R. Rich why draft a DE in the later rds. when we can use that for another position since we already have Kelsay. Unless Kelsay is a bust :idunno:
I don't think there are ANY stud DEs in this draft. None are sure shots, but from what I've heard about Udeze, he could be a great fit for the Bills. He has the size and speed to maybe become the LDE we need to work with Schobel and give us two good pass rushers on the outside. He could also help shut down the outside running plays. I like him better than Will Smith, who I think is undersized and might be better off moved to LB, like the Ravens did for Boulware. If we draft a DE who is projected to be a great player someday, I have no problem. All I'm saying is get another one who will make an impact now and not for the future. I'm tired of projects who may or may not pan out.

Because of salary cap. we cannot wait another 3-4 years.

TigerJ
12-19-2003, 11:54 AM
Believe it or not, I've researched Bret Blake a little. Info is a little tough to come by on the internet. He runs a lot of track for Nebraska Wesleyan; 100 meter relays and 200 meter and such. I agree that blue chip DEs just aren't there in this draft. Will Smith is the closest. I think the odds are better than 50/50 that he'll be gone by the middle of the first round just because he is the best of the crop. He is said to be very strong, and he's not that small. Still, if he's not there, he's not worth trading up for. Udeze doesn't have true edge speed. He's very strong though and has a quick burst. I think he'll be a good pro.

If Buffalo did obtain a good LT in free agency along with a decent center, moved Jennings to guard, and drafted Chris Kemoeatu, the line could be a real powerhouse.

This scenario does potentially improve the Bills.

Another player to think about is Antwan Odom. He's probably rated a little lower than Udezi because he's not been the greatest run defender. He's faster than Udezi, though, and a natural pass rusher with good size.

Another bargain basement receiver could be Drew Carter. He's disappeared from draft speculation because an ACL injury in October, but knee reconstruction is not nearly as chancy now as it was 10 years ago. He's like Blake, big and fast. In addition he's from a major school, Ohio State. He probably would be where Willis McGahee is right now in his recovery by the start of the season. He could maybe be had for a 7th round pick because of that injury. Otherwise, he's a mid round pick.

DraftBoy
12-19-2003, 02:01 PM
Rich this is the best one yet in my opinion because it seems to be the most feasible considering that we will in all likelyhood be bring in a new coach not be spending lots of money on the FA and trying to get the staff set. I think we will sign a FA or two but no big names, b.c we have so much work to do this offseason in house. I think our emphasis has gotta be on the draft this year and if we make the trade you say and get all those players I would be esatic (*note if the trade isnt made Id dump Wilson*). Very good work Rich, very good indeed.

Jeff1220
12-19-2003, 08:48 PM
I agree that the O-line could definitely be better, but a dominant DE is the priority in my mind.
It isn't a good idea to keep shuffling the Oline around. There are definitely upgrades needed, but don't keep thinking that you take one guy, and move him from there to there; take another, move him from here to here. In my humble opinion, 1 major thing needs to be done to the Oline - replace Pucillo.