PDA

View Full Version : Otto Graham Dies

Dozerdog
12-18-2003, 01:02 PM
Thursday, December 18, 2003
Graham won seven pro titles
Associated Press

CLEVELAND -- For 10 seasons, Otto Graham personified perfection, the Cleveland Browns and greatness. No quarterback has done it better.
The Hall of Famer, who led the Browns to 10 championship games in the 10 seasons he played for them, died Wednesday of an aneurysm to the heart. He was 82.

Graham died in Sarasota, Fla., team spokesman Todd Stewart said. Graham was taken to Sarasota Memorial Hospital earlier in the day with a tear in his aorta, said his son Duey.

Before Johnny Unitas, Joe Namath or Joe Montana, Graham set the bar for all NFL quarterbacks by winning more consistently than anyone else.

"The test of a quarterback is where his team finishes," said Paul Brown, Graham's coach in Cleveland. "By that standard, Otto Graham was the best of all time."

http://espn.go.com/classic/obit/s/2003/1217/1688946.html
This guy was amazing- not known for huge numbers, he led his team to 10 consecutive championship games.

Dozerdog
12-18-2003, 01:03 PM
"Automatic Otto" never missed a game as a pro while passing for 23,584 yards and 174 touchdowns. Graham finished his career with an astounding 105-17-4 regular-season record.

Jan Reimers
12-18-2003, 01:47 PM
I'm so old that I grew up a Browns fan before the Bills came to town. I loved those teams with Graham, Marion Motley, Mac Speede, Dante Lavelli, Lou Groza, Lenny Ford, et. al.

Graham was a class act and a very efficient QB.