PDA

View Full Version : Deion Sanders defends Horn

OpIv37
12-20-2003, 05:49 PM
During the pregame for KC/Min, Sanders defended Horn's cell phone stunt and compared it to other "premeditated" celebrations like the Lambeau Leap. This comparison is ridiculous-jumping into the stands doesn't require planting props prior to the game. Horn probably just wants a contract to endorse cell phones, like Owens and Sharpie :puke:.

Also, Boomer was arguing with him about the 15 yard penalty and Sanders didn't seem to care. How can any commentator defend an action that results in backing your team up 15 yards?

I've been watching the Bills for almost 15 years, and to my recollection they've never had a loudmouth like Sanders, Brian Cox, Leon Lett, Randy Moss, Me-shawn etc... most of those guys can play, but it's too much drama and is just a distraction in the long run.

DraftBoy
12-20-2003, 06:29 PM
I liked the cell phojne stunt and wish there was more of it and no penalties. Honestly it was entertaining for me and I cant wait to see what Chad Johnson does tommrow against the Rams, if he scores.

OpIv37
12-20-2003, 06:43 PM
Originally posted by Winfield_26
I liked the cell phojne stunt and wish there was more of it and no penalties. Honestly it was entertaining for me and I cant wait to see what Chad Johnson does tommrow against the Rams, if he scores.

You must be a pro wrestling fan. The game itself is supposed to be the entertainment, not the drama and showmanship.

Cntrygal
12-20-2003, 06:44 PM
I didn't like the stunt. When they start to drag the props in... it's just going to escalate. If they have to do something... stick with the "dancing".

It also doesn't surprise me that Sanders defended the "skit". But I agree....... I don't think ANYONE should be able to defend something that backs your team up. It's not like it was a surprise that a flag would be thrown. While you're on the field, you should put your TEAM ahead of everything. Go out there and WIN!

Cntrygal
12-20-2003, 06:46 PM
I would actually be REALLY disappointed if Moulds (or any of the others) did something like this.

Cntrygal
12-20-2003, 06:49 PM
Originally posted by OpIv37
I've been watching the Bills for almost 15 years, and to my recollection they've never had a loudmouth like Sanders, Brian Cox, Leon Lett, Randy Moss, Me-shawn etc... most of those guys can play, but it's too much drama and is just a distraction in the long run.

Geesh... I can tell I'm not awake yet. I can't think of anyone either. Most of our "ego" players, still believed in the team concept......

DraftBoy
12-20-2003, 07:19 PM

You must be a pro wrestling fan. The game itself is supposed to be the entertainment, not the drama and showmanship.

Yea b.c I like a little bit of flair in the game then Im a pro wrestling fan. Good analogy there. Im not a wrestling fan and at one point I was. The game is extremely exciting as is, but alot of these player play on emotions and fans build on that. I know that when I played everytime I scored a handed the ball back to the player who let me score. Was it cocky? Hell yea. Did I get penalized? most times. My coach said not to do it, but my teamates and competitiors didnt. I wasnt disrespectful about it...I just turned handed them the ball and said thanks. Some times there were words and if they had a problem with it I would just say, next time stop me. If you dont want to see it, or dont like it, DONT LET THE PLAYER SCORE! If I score a touchdown and it means something (unlike Duckett TD vs. Colts) then I feel the right to celebrate. Who are we as fans or sports writers to tell these players when to and when not to celebrate. Football is a game and most of these guys give a 110% if they cant be allowed 15-30 seconds to celebrate then why even allow a ball spike? Just my thoughts. It seems that alot of people need to grow up about this issue. There is a lot of whining from the media about the celebration, you dont see players whining about it do you?

DIHARD2
12-20-2003, 08:09 PM
If this junk is allowed to continue, it won't be long before the NFL owners catch on and start selling advertising space on shirts and helmets like they do in NASCAR. I'm not saying NASCAR is tacky it's just that it's a single man sport and it has grownup with that look whereas, football is a team sport, and if the NFL owners were to see how much money they could make off of each player selling advertising space, for the product they endorse, then it would become tacky. Remember football is all about money now and we need not put any acceptance in this type of action because that is what would happen. ca-$hing$$$, ca-$hing$$$, ca-$hing$$$

GOOooo!!!...BUFFALOOooo!!!!!.....

HenryRules
12-20-2003, 08:45 PM
Aside from the penalty, I really see nothing wrong with it.

And as to the comment about Bills players never doing anything ... I wish that Thurman had picked up a cell phone after scoring a TD in the Super Bowl instead of losing his helmet. In my mind, that was one of the biggest cases of showing a lack of respect for teammates and the game - way worse than picking up a damned cell phone.

I suppose that you guys also thinking saying, "I'm going to Disney World!!" is bad for sports.

A lot of people need to relax and understand that football and sports are supposed to be fun.

HenryRules
12-20-2003, 08:47 PM
Originally posted by Cntrygal
I would actually be REALLY disappointed if Moulds (or any of the others) did something like this.

I'd love it ... it'd mean we actually scored (and expected to score) a TD.

The_Philster
12-20-2003, 08:47 PM
Originally posted by HenryRules
And as to the comment about Bills players never doing anything ... I wish that Thurman had picked up a cell phone after scoring a TD in the Super Bowl instead of losing his helmet. In my mind, that was one of the biggest cases of showing a lack of respect for teammates and the game - way worse than picking up a damned cell phone.

Case of memory loss? A teammate hid the helmet as a prank...BEFORE THE :angry: GAME!!!

HenryRules
12-20-2003, 08:48 PM

I guess that you don't enjoy cheerleaders, halftime shows, tailgating, fans in costumes, or any other various events that happen outside of the actual field.

HenryRules
12-20-2003, 08:49 PM
Originally posted by The_Philster

Case of memory loss? A teammate hid the helmet as a prank...BEFORE THE :angry: GAME!!!

Ok ... so then Thurman wasn't the one that was selfish, it was his teammate. Still worse than the cell phone incident - or do you think disrupting a teammates pre-game preparation is a sign of respect?

The_Philster
12-20-2003, 08:55 PM
Comparing a prank among teammates to a punk showboating and trying to make himself bigger than the game? :cynic:

imbondz
12-20-2003, 08:55 PM
two kinds of fans now:

1- old school football fans who love the game and the history of the NFL.

2- the video game generation, who watch it more for the ff leagues, Madden '04, and the theatrics of players like Sanders, Owens and Horn.

HenryRules
12-20-2003, 08:56 PM
Comparing a prank among teammates to a punk showboating and trying to make himself bigger than the game? :cynic:

Yes - one shows absolutely no respect for the game or his teammates (pranks after the game are fine - pranks before the game are one of the most selfish things you can do) while the other shows enthusiasm.

What's the difference between dumping Gatorade on the coach and picking up a cell phone after a TD? I really don't see how he was trying to make himself bigger than the game - TD celebrations have been going on for years. What's the difference between this and Spielman's dive?

imbondz
12-20-2003, 08:58 PM
dumping Gatorade on a coach is stupid. Picking up a cell phone after a TD is stupider.

The_Philster
12-20-2003, 08:59 PM
What's the difference between dumping Gatorade on the coach and picking up a cell phone after a TD?

dumping Gatorade on a coach is something done to celebrate a team victory...not an individual accomplishment
Originally posted by imbondz
two kinds of fans now:

2- the video game generation, who watch it more for the ff leagues, Madden '04, and the theatrics of players like Sanders, Owens and Horn.
Nice post!!! :up:

HenryRules
dumping Gatorade on a coach is stupid. Picking up a cell phone after a TD is stupider.

Do you have a pulse?

HenryRules

dumping Gatorade on a coach is something done to celebrate a team victory...not an individual accomplishment

Since when is a TD an individual accomplishment?

also, don't forget - he wasn't the one that got the phone - so it's not like his teammates weren't aware of this.

Cntrygal
12-20-2003, 09:00 PM
:rolleyes:

I never said (and I don't believe anyone else has either) about getting rid of ALL celebrations. I just don't see the need for "props".

HenryRules
12-20-2003, 09:01 PM
Originally posted by Cntrygal
:rolleyes:

I never said (and I don't believe anyone else has either) about getting rid of ALL celebrations. I just don't see the need for "props".

What's a gatorade container?

imbondz
12-20-2003, 09:01 PM
Do you have a pulse?

yes.

HenryRules
12-20-2003, 09:37 PM
two kinds of fans now:

Seems more like the two types are:

1 - you have stick shoved up your ass

2 - you like to have fun

imbondz
12-20-2003, 09:46 PM

2 - you like to have fun

LOL.

OpIv37
12-20-2003, 09:48 PM

I guess that you don't enjoy cheerleaders, halftime shows, tailgating, fans in costumes, or any other various events that happen outside of the actual field.

Exactly- OUTSIDE the field where it belongs. Hiding props ON the field is cocky, ridiculous and immature. There are plenty of ways to celebrate without being a horse's ass- this isn't one of them

OpIv37
12-20-2003, 09:50 PM

What's a gatorade container?

Something that has a purpose- HOLDING GATORADE. The cell phone in the goal post had no purpose except showboating.

DraftBoy
12-20-2003, 10:40 PM

2 - you like to have fun

Well said, and just because you like the cell phone incident doesnt mean you dont enjoy the game or the history of it. Just means you think the celebrations are now part of the game and enjoy them.

Topdog
12-21-2003, 10:10 AM

Have to agree with you IM, This showboating will lead to another and pretty soon all that the fans will be waiting for is to see who will out do whom.

These are suppose to be PROFESSIONALS, not high school children.

Deion Sanders is a jerk!!