PDA

View Full Version : What kind of fan are you?

The_Philster
12-20-2003, 09:17 PM
I've gotta give credit to my esteemed colleague from Tennessee, imbondz for giving me the idea for this thread. I've seen we have a few different kinds of fans here.

Originally posted by imbondz
two kinds of fans now:

1- old school football fans who love the game and the history of the NFL.

2- the video game generation, who watch it more for the ff leagues, Madden '04, and the theatrics of players like Sanders, Owens and Horn.

What kind are you? :feedback:
Me...I'm type 1. I don't mind a little bit of theatrics as long as it doesn't take away from the game...but players like imbondz mentioned try to put themselves above the game and the team with their antics. Warren Sapp is another of those types...he was complaining a few weeks ago about the helmet rule because he wants to better market himself and can better do that with his helmet off. Give me a break :rolleyes:
Why can't we go back to the days when the norm was players like Emmitt, Thurman, Barry, and the type who, as Marv Levy would put it, acted like they've been there before? Not only that, but they expected to be there again.

shelby
12-20-2003, 09:23 PM
Old school all the way. Marv preached class and good sportsmanship.

HenryRules
12-20-2003, 09:25 PM
Why do you imply they are mutually exclusive?

I like both aspects.

I also think it's very judgemental to say that people who like Horn, Owens, etc. cannot "love the game"

imbondz
12-20-2003, 09:31 PM
Originally posted by HenryRules
Why do you imply they are mutually exclusive?

I like both aspects.

I also think it's very judgemental to say that people who like Horn, Owens, etc. cannot "love the game"

nope. you can't. you're either one or the other.

HenryRules
12-20-2003, 09:32 PM

Get a life.

OpIv37
12-20-2003, 09:52 PM

I agree- it's either about the game or it's about the hype. Those guys are about the hype.

Nothing against fantasy football or Madden '04, but the game comes first. Without it none of that other crap could even exist

BADTHINGSMAN
12-20-2003, 10:14 PM
But that crap does exsist.. I like Madden,I like the hype I think, Owens,Horn are funny.. I also like to get to know the history of teams..

You cant tell me that someone is one or the other.. I like both aspects of the game.. Im the only one that makes up my mind..

lordofgun
12-20-2003, 10:30 PM
None of the above.

mybills
12-20-2003, 11:12 PM
I'm with LOG on this one. I didn't play football when I was in school, and I don't play Madden. :snicker:

Seriously, where's the option for just out of diapers?

lordofgun
12-20-2003, 11:15 PM
I watch football because it pisses off my wife. :D

mybills
12-21-2003, 12:42 AM
I watch it because i WANT to! :evil:

Historian
12-21-2003, 05:01 AM
I only watch because there's a Buffalo Bills. If they left town, I could give a crap about football. Between the showboatism, the prices, and the piss poor officiating, the league has lost a lot of luster in the past 10 years IMO.

If it weren't for the Bills, I wouldnt even follow it.

Jan Reimers
12-21-2003, 05:37 AM
Real old school - have followed the Bills since their inception, and the Browns for several years before that. I have only recently learned not to let a group of 53 complete strangers, i.e., the Bills, ruin my life.

SABURZFAN
12-21-2003, 06:04 AM
i refuse to vote on this poll because i don't need to prove to anybody what kind of fan i am.

helmetguy
12-22-2003, 09:29 PM
Old school. When it looks like a guy has to showboat to draw attention to how good he thinks he is, 99 times out of a hundred he ain't as good as he thinks he is. I'd take one Charlie Joiner over an Owens or Horn any day.

BillsFever
12-22-2003, 09:38 PM
What if Bledsoe would've been able to get Moulds a TD and he would've done it? Would everyone still be saying the same thing or would they have found it funny?

I like both aspects of the game. If somebody wants to showboat who the hell are we to tell him not to or judge him on it?

I'll leave judgement up to the other players in the league or opposing team to decide what they think. It doesn't really seem to bother them.

I find it entertaining. It's not like it happens every week.

Dozerdog
12-22-2003, 09:45 PM
I would have been very pissed if Moulds did it.

I would be thinking to myself Moulds is more concerned with camera time than getting a win, or getting to the playoffs.

I want my players concentrating on the task at hand, not on devising their next showboating act.

OpIv37
12-22-2003, 09:51 PM
I'm with Dozer- I'd be pissed at Moulds if he pulled this BS. Like I said in another thread- in the time I have been following the Bills, they have avoided this type of showboating player.

If you wanna make your opponent look bad, burn him on the field. There's no need to rub it in his face once the damage is done- he knows he's been beat, and so does everyone else.

helmetguy
12-22-2003, 10:06 PM
Originally posted by OpIv37
I'm with Dozer- I'd be pissed at Moulds if he pulled this BS. Like I said in another thread- in the time I have been following the Bills, they have avoided this type of showboating player.

If you wanna make your opponent look bad, burn him on the field. There's no need to rub it in his face once the damage is done- he knows he's been beat, and so does everyone else.

NICE!

TheGhostofJimKelly
12-23-2003, 07:24 AM
This is a horrible poll.

What if you like every aspect of football?

I like to watch the game. I watch high-school, college, pro, hell, I even watched the XFL.

I just love the game. I love a hard fought game in the rain as well as a high scoring shootout in a dome. I am not in a fantasy football league nor do I have Madden, but I love the fact that people's passions lie in those games. Fans of the NFL are like no other. They will love you one minute, hate you the next. Bills fans will call out Dolphins fans all game and in the end shake hands and say good game, win or lose. I love the fact that ESPN classic shows old games and you can see the passion on the field of the "old school" players, yet you can also see that in today's players. I like the fact that TO pulls out a sharpie and signs a ball or Joe Horn uses a cell phone. Afterall, it is just a game and it is entertainment.

helmetguy
12-23-2003, 10:23 PM
I was with you, right up to the last two sentences, Ghost. The entertainment for me has always been to marvel at the talents of the players, the intensity, the leaving it all on the field for those sixty minutes. A lot of that comes from the guys who coached me. To a man, every one of them wouldn't hesitate to bench a guy for showboating, no matter who did the showboating. While TO and Horn may think they need to pull that crap to get their "props," it gives the impression that they don't respect their opponents.

Dozerdog
12-23-2003, 10:26 PM
I guess it's more about the individuals and less about the team

hurls
12-23-2003, 10:28 PM
that's how the "stars' treat it. Marv would've cut their butts

The_Philster
12-23-2003, 10:41 PM
The poll says 19-0...yet I see some posts talking like they should have voted the other way. :idunno:

TheGhostofJimKelly
12-24-2003, 07:04 AM
Originally posted by helmetguy
I was with you, right up to the last two sentences, Ghost. The entertainment for me has always been to marvel at the talents of the players, the intensity, the leaving it all on the field for those sixty minutes. A lot of that comes from the guys who coached me. To a man, every one of them wouldn't hesitate to bench a guy for showboating, no matter who did the showboating. While TO and Horn may think they need to pull that crap to get their "props," it gives the impression that they don't respect their opponents.

Great point, I just love watching these guys. Horn took it a bit too far, but I still liked the TO sharpie.

HenryRules
12-24-2003, 09:31 PM
Originally posted by The_Philster
The poll says 19-0...yet I see some posts talking like they should have voted the other way. :idunno:

I didn't vote because I didn't feel that any option there reflected my enjoyment for the game. About 4 or 5 of the other posters seem to agree with me.

stuckincincy
12-24-2003, 10:23 PM
Originally posted by The_Philster
I've gotta give credit to my esteemed colleague from Tennessee, imbondz for giving me the idea for this thread. I've seen we have a few different kinds of fans here.

What kind are you? :feedback:
Me...I'm type 1. I don't mind a little bit of theatrics as long as it doesn't take away from the game...but players like imbondz mentioned try to put themselves above the game and the team with their antics. Warren Sapp is another of those types...he was complaining a few weeks ago about the helmet rule because he wants to better market himself and can better do that with his helmet off. Give me a break :rolleyes:
Why can't we go back to the days when the norm was players like Emmitt, Thurman, Barry, and the type who, as Marv Levy would put it, acted like they've been there before? Not only that, but they expected to be there again.

Philster, you have a future as a Democratic Party pollster.

The choices dipicted were

1) I am a wise, knowledgable student of All Things Football, Mom, Apple Pie and Country.

or

2) I am a moronic self-centered Flaming A**hole.

:D