PDA

View Full Version : This is one of the primary reasons I don't hang out in this forum anymore

Typ0
12-21-2003, 03:21 PM
because it's too much heartache. Our coaching staff sucks....I think it's mostly Gilbride...but GW gets no reprieve because he allowed it to happen. We are a pathetic football team with a lot of talent. I hope Lebeau is calling plays next week.

BillsFever
12-21-2003, 03:22 PM
We are a talented team with a pathetic QB.

Typ0
12-21-2003, 03:27 PM
you don't get all the players you want PA...you have to work with what you have...and our coaches have no clue how to do that. I'm not defending Drew...I'm just saying you better damn well make it clear that he's the problem and we have not done that at all...I have watched all the games very closely. You can point all the fingers you want...but our team was not given the proper execution plans to win football games.

Typ0
12-21-2003, 03:30 PM
I'm going back to the TZ until at least mid-season next year. At least we can have fun there without getting sick.

BillsFever
12-21-2003, 03:32 PM
10 TD's, 22 TO's. There is the root of your problem.

Funny our Defense is one of the top units in the NFL. Our ST's is up there pretty far. Travis Henry will rush for at least 1,300 yards this year.

The only player that sticks out with a crappy season is Dredsoe. I guess Drew is the only one our coaches couldn't put into position to be effective.

Bill Belichek couldn't put Drew Bledsoe in a position to be effective. That's why they dumped his ass. Nobody can put Drew Bledsoe in a position to be effective.

The dude has more losses then wins in his career. He also has more TO's then TD's in his career. None of it is Drew's fault though.

Typ0
12-21-2003, 03:42 PM
we ran 407 times compared to 459 passes. I'm not even going to bother breaking down the stats...but I'm sure the ratio of run to pass on first down, in the red zone and third and short makes me puke. There are very few QB's that would have a good season in that situation.

Typ0
12-21-2003, 03:44 PM
and I agree Drew is only mediocre at best...but you have to make the best with what you have...and we did not even come close to giving him a chance to look good.

BillsFever
12-21-2003, 03:57 PM
Originally posted by Typ0
we ran 407 times compared to 459 passes. I'm not even going to bother breaking down the stats...but I'm sure the ratio of run to pass on first down, in the red zone and third and short makes me puke. There are very few QB's that would have a good season in that situation.

What a difference of 3 per game? That's really searching.

We've been running quite a bit since the bye week and that hasn't helped Drew any.

I guess we should just run 50 times a game and pass 10 times a game.

The only teams that run, run, and run all game are teams with a terrible QB they don't trust. I guess we're at that level with Drew Bledsoe now.

If we ran all the time then everybody would be *****ing that all we do is run. The run/pass ratio isn't that bad this year. Drew Bledsoe just can't cut the slack.

BillsFever
12-21-2003, 03:59 PM
Originally posted by Typ0
and I agree Drew is only mediocre at best...

So you wanna give a "mediocre at best" QB a 5 year extension for about an average of 8-9 million dollars after this season?

That is what we are left with. If Drew is on our team next November we owe him that money. Not hardly worth it if you ask me.

mchurchfie
12-21-2003, 04:01 PM
Yeah but, I noticed that Gilbride has a habit of not running enough when we are in the game and then running too much when the game is out of hand to cover is sorry a$$.

mchurchfie
12-21-2003, 04:02 PM
Originally posted by BillsFever
So you wanna give a "mediocre at best" QB a 5 year extension for about an average of 8-9 million dollars after this season?

That is what we are left with. If Drew is on our team next November we owe him that money. Not hardly worth it if you ask me.

True that:up: Drew must go.

SABURZFAN
12-21-2003, 04:06 PM

Funny our Defense is one of the top units in the NFL. Our ST's is up there pretty far. Travis Henry will rush for at least 1,300 yards this year.

The only player that sticks out with a crappy season is Dredsoe. I guess Drew is the only one our coaches couldn't put into position to be effective.

Bill Belichek couldn't put Drew Bledsoe in a position to be effective. That's why they dumped his ass. Nobody can put Drew Bledsoe in a position to be effective.

The dude has more losses then wins in his career. He also has more TO's then TD's in his career. None of it is Drew's fault though.

there's more problems on this offense than JUST drew.we need to cut our losses and move on.TD's biggest mistake was getting drew knowing that we had a crappy OL.we're better off getting rid of drew and the coaching.we could use that money to make improvements with the OL.

BillsFever
12-21-2003, 04:08 PM
Alex Van Pelt in 2001

12 TD's, 12 TO's

Rob Johnson in 2001

6 TD's, 11 TO's

18 TD's, 23 TO's

Drew Bledsoe in 2003

10 TD's, 20 TO's

I guess Rob and Alex were under better conditions in 2001 then Drew was this year?

This isn't saying much for Drew Bledsoe.

BillsFever
12-21-2003, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by SABURZFAN
there's more problems on this offense than JUST drew.we need to cut our losses and move on.TD's biggest mistake was getting drew knowing that we had a crappy OL.we're better off getting rid of drew and the coaching.we could use that money to make improvements with the OL.

Our offensive line would look a lot better without Drew behind center.

You act like everybody else has a wall around them.

If Drew Bledsoe wasn't so slow and stupid and was able to get rid of the ball then the sacks would go way down. NO OTHER QB in the NFL gets blitzed like Bledsoe. Till Bledsoe can beat the blitz he will get blitzed to death.

I guess it's our OL's fault the 5-7 guys blocking can't block the 8 men rushing him almost every play.

This just shows no worries from the DC in Drew Bledsoe beating him with the blitz.

You think a team would blitz Peyton Manning with 8 guys almost every play? They would give up 50 points a week.

BillsFever
12-21-2003, 04:15 PM
I guess we need to keep 8-9 guys in to block and send 2 WR's out in a pass pattern. That's gonna be really effective.

TigerJ
12-21-2003, 10:19 PM
I put a lot of stock in Ingtar's analysis, that he did a few weeks ago. I think when TD built this team he thought that Bledsoe and Gilbride would be a great match, Bledsoe's arm strength and (potential) accuracy downfield with Gilbride's vertical passing game. Instead we got a perfect storm. Gilbride's system demands Bledsoe make a series of reads on every passing play involving every receiver. Each receiver also has to make reads that determines how he will run his pass route. Even outlet receivers have reads and make adjustments.

Bledsoe is a smart QB, but it turns out he's slow making his reads. Add to that the obvious problems the line has in providing pass protection, particularly picking up blitzes, and you've got a recipe for lots of sacks and interceptions. Bledsoe can't get into any kind of rhythm because he's doing too much thinking. As he's lost confidence, the effect has snowballed and he's gotten that deer in the headlights look about him most of the time.

I think the truth about Bledsoe's ability is somewhere between the viewpoint of Tom Donahoe, who seems to think he can do no wrong, and BillsFever, who I think might shoot him if he saw Bledsoe on the street and happened to have a gun. I think there are probably offensive strategies that could minimize Bledsoe's inherent weaknesses and take advantage of his strengths. I don't know if that would be enough to really allow him to be a winner.

I do think that Kevin Gilbride and Drew Bledsoe are like oil and water. They don't mix, despite Drew's assertion that they are on the same page. My question about Drew Bledsoe is: How can you justify a relatively elite salary if you have to baby the guy in order for him to have any success? You baby backup QBs who have to play with insufficient practice time and an incomplete grasp of the offence, not 10 year veterans making $5+ million dollar salaries.

TD and Ralph Wilson both seem sold on Drew. They are the ones calling the shots. OK If Drew is going to be the QB next year, then what can the Bills do to raise the chances for success.

First, they must get rid of Kevin Gilbride. Drew doesn't need an offensive system that is Kordell Stewart simple, but he needs one with a lot less in the way of reads than the one Gilbride is in love with. They need to sign someone as OC who likes a vertical passing game, otherwise there is no conceivable rationale for keeping Drew. However, the offence needs to be built on winning one on one matchups rather than trying to outsmart opponents.

Second, if we are going to depend on winning one on one matchups, TD needs to upgrade personnel in several areas. The interior of the offensive line has to get better. I think the Pucillo experiment has to be considered ended. Teague needs to be sat down and Buffalo needs to look seriously for Ruben Brown's successor. Maybe the Bills don't need to fix all three spots next year, but they need to address two out of the three at least. Buffalo also needs to replace the speed that it lost when Peerless Price left for Atlanta. I like Mark Campbell as a tight end, but I think Bledsoe could really benefit from a guy who can stretch the field more.

Lastly, whoever the next coach of the Bills is will need to borrow a page from the manual of Bill Parcells and treat Bledoe the same way he did. Practice for Drew Bledsoe needs to include an element that encourages or even forces him to get rid of the ball within a specified length of time. Whether the coach stands behind him and yells at him to get rid of it as Parcells did, or the Bills employ GW's old foghorn to sound the play dead if Drew takes too long, they have to come up with some way to fix the broken clock in his head.

Frankly, if I had my druthers, the Bills would start looking in another direction for their quarterbacking. I just don't see that happening based on what the powers that be are saying. Given that Drew is probably going to stick around, I think this is what they need to do to make it work, or at least to give it a chance.

lordofgun
12-21-2003, 10:22 PM
Originally posted by TigerJ
I put a lot of stock in Ingtar's analysis, that he did a few weeks ago. I think when TD built this team he thought that Bledsoe and Gilbride would be a great match, Bledsoe's arm strength and (potential) accuracy downfield with Gilbride's vertical passing game. Instead we got a perfect storm. Gilbride's system demands Bledsoe make a series of reads on every passing play involving every receiver. Each receiver also has to make reads that determines how he will run his pass route. Even outlet receivers have reads and make adjustments.

Bledsoe is a smart QB, but it turns out he's slow making his reads. Add to that the obvious problems the line has in providing pass protection, particularly picking up blitzes, and you've got a recipe for lots of sacks and interceptions. Bledsoe can't get into any kind of rhythm because he's doing too much thinking. As he's lost confidence, the effect has snowballed and he's gotten that deer in the headlights look about him most of the time.

I think the truth about Bledsoe's ability is somewhere between the viewpoint of Tom Donahoe, who seems to think he can do no wrong, and BillsFever, who I think might shoot him if he saw Bledsoe on the street and happened to have a gun. I think there are probably offensive strategies that could minimize Bledsoe's inherent weaknesses and take advantage of his strengths. I don't know if that would be enough to really allow him to be a winner.

I do think that Kevin Gilbride and Drew Bledsoe are like oil and water. They don't mix, despite Drew's assertion that they are on the same page. My question about Drew Bledsoe is: How can you justify a relatively elite salary if you have to baby the guy in order for him to have any success? You baby backup QBs who have to play with insufficient practice time and an incomplete grasp of the offence, not 10 year veterans making $5+ million dollar salaries.

TD and Ralph Wilson both seem sold on Drew. They are the ones calling the shots. OK If Drew is going to be the QB next year, then what can the Bills do to raise the chances for success.

First, they must get rid of Kevin Gilbride. Drew doesn't need an offensive system that is Kordell Stewart simple, but he needs one with a lot less in the way of reads than the one Gilbride is in love with. They need to sign someone as OC who likes a vertical passing game, otherwise there is no conceivable rationale for keeping Drew. However, the offence needs to be built on winning one on one matchups rather than trying to outsmart opponents.

Second, if we are going to depend on winning one on one matchups, TD needs to upgrade personnel in several areas. The interior of the offensive line has to get better. I think the Pucillo experiment has to be considered ended. Teague needs to be sat down and Buffalo needs to look seriously for Ruben Brown's successor. Maybe the Bills don't need to fix all three spots next year, but they need to address two out of the three at least. Buffalo also needs to replace the speed that it lost when Peerless Price left for Atlanta. I like Mark Campbell as a tight end, but I think Bledsoe could really benefit from a guy who can stretch the field more.

Lastly, whoever the next coach of the Bills is will need to borrow a page from the manual of Bill Parcells and treat Bledoe the same way he did. Practice for Drew Bledsoe needs to include an element that encourages or even forces him to get rid of the ball within a specified length of time. Whether the coach stands behind him and yells at him to get rid of it as Parcells did, or the Bills employ GW's old foghorn to sound the play dead if Drew takes too long, they have to come up with some way to fix the broken clock in his head.

Frankly, if I had my druthers, the Bills would start looking in another direction for their quarterbacking. I just don't see that happening based on what the powers that be are saying. Give that Drew is probably going to stick around, I think this is what they need to do to make it work, or at least to give it a chance.

Great post. :up:

BillsFever
12-21-2003, 10:29 PM
I wouldn't kill him. I would just kick him in the nads, spit on his face, and then break his right arm permantly so he wouldn't be able to screw our future anymore then he already has.

imbondz
12-21-2003, 10:32 PM
Originally posted by lordofgun
Great post. :up:

what'd it say?

BillsFever
12-21-2003, 10:33 PM
Then again I'm not sure kicking him in the nads would do anything. I'm not sure if he has any from what I've seen the past 1.5 years.

Better come up with a new plan.

caveboy
12-21-2003, 10:58 PM
Good points Tiger.

This game was embaressing. Sorry, but Drew's got to go. He's had two full seasons unchallenged as QB at the helm to make this O his own. He hasn't done it. Many posters have said it's not Drew's fault. Oh no? Give me a reason to justify him staying. Yeah, it's the line. Ok, right. Well, it's BEEN the line for almost six years now, going back to before Flutie. Can we put that excuse to rest as the only reason for Drew sucking?

The last series of the game with Travis, as well as watching ANY OTHER QB IN THE LEAGUE TODAY, shows one of the real problem with him: forget reading D's – he can't or won't MOVE HIS FEET when under pressure!!!!

All he would have to do is sidestep, or spin out, ANYTHING, to buy him a few extra secs. But instead, we have to have this O-line block perfectly and give him 5-6 secs EVERY PLAY? Who does that? In that last series, Travis moved around like any QB would be expected to. They don't have to all jump around like Vick, but damn, Drew stood there like he was seeing who could reach him first. Your prize: a sack for your stats. RJ reborn, geez.

Try and justify his play when he didn't have pressure early on also. Difficult throws to Moulds out of bounds. Throws at receivers feet in other cases. ARE YOU KIDDING? Is THAT the line's fault? He has no touch whatsoever. (But man, can he throw a deep out. We're saved.)

GW, KG and Drew ain't working. (KG, you suck, red-zone throwing run-neglecting *******.) And earlier, someone questioned the logic of running the majority of time vs. throwing. If the run works, and gets us wins, then hell yes, let's do it by all means. Why we shouldn't we?

And, the experiment of free-agent QBs should be over. Have we even drafted a QB in the last ten years?

Typ0
12-21-2003, 11:20 PM

Frankly, if I had my druthers, the Bills would start looking in another direction for their quarterbacking. I just don't see that happening based on what the powers that be are saying. Given that Drew is probably going to stick around, I think this is what they need to do to make it work, or at least to give it a chance.

hey man...thanks a lot for making this thread worth reading ;)

Philagape
12-22-2003, 12:44 AM

It's refreshing to see actual objective analysis instead of simple-minded, venomous sound bytes. These are the kind of posts that persuade me.

Typ0
12-22-2003, 12:53 AM
Originally posted by Philagape

It's refreshing to see actual objective analysis instead of simple-minded, venomous sound bytes. These are the kind of posts that persuade me.

you call it persuade...we call it hooked.

lunatic_bills_fan
12-22-2003, 05:47 AM

Just a little correction, apart from Punting, this ST is pretty much bottom 3 in the NFL. They pretty much suck.

justasportsfan
12-22-2003, 06:21 AM
Originally posted by lunatic_bills_fan

Just a little correction, apart from Punting, this ST is pretty much bottom 3 in the NFL. They pretty much suck.

Danny Smith must go too. This special team hasn't been special ever since he was the coach. Average at best and I'm stretching.

zone
12-22-2003, 07:09 AM

Perfect post.

Originally posted by Philagape
It's refreshing to see actual objective analysis instead of simple-minded, venomous sound bytes.

I couldn't agree more. Making funny words from peoples names, or saying how you want to kill someone on our team. Or blaming the teams problems on 1 individual is ignorant. It's getting really old.

Historian
12-22-2003, 07:23 AM
Well put, Tiger, especially about fixing the broken clock. The pundits are saying he will also have to renegotiate if he's coming back as well, because production simply hasn't come near what's being paid out.

helmetguy
12-22-2003, 05:42 PM
It's going to be tough enough to get the offense back to a competitive unit to begin with. Bledsoe has his limitations, as does any QB. I was watching the tape of the Tennessee game the other day, and kept rewinding the scene of Bledsoe satnding next to KG with KG basically talking to the side of Bledsoes helmet. Bledsoe had the look on his face like he was being yapped at by a terminal nag of a wife. If not for how completely this offense has tanked this year, the I might have laughed my ass off. Instead, the look told me that Bledsoe had completely lost faith in KG and his Chinese Calculus offense and that Gilbride was talking just to hear his own voice.

zone
12-22-2003, 05:51 PM
Originally posted by helmetguy
It's going to be tough enough to get the offense back to a competitive unit to begin with. Bledsoe has his limitations, as does any QB. I was watching the tape of the Tennessee game the other day, and kept rewinding the scene of Bledsoe satnding next to KG with KG basically talking to the side of Bledsoes helmet. Bledsoe had the look on his face like he was being yapped at by a terminal nag of a wife. If not for how completely this offense has tanked this year, the I might have laughed my ass off. Instead, the look told me that Bledsoe had completely lost faith in KG and his Chinese Calculus offense and that Gilbride was talking just to hear his own voice.

I have actually watched that a bunch of times this year.... including times were drew was acting like he wanted to punch him in the back of the head. GW is a b*tch....