X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TigerJ
    • Jul 2002

Bills' draft position

With the loss to Miami, Buffalo now looks like it will be drafting in around the 12 or 13th spot if the season were to end after week 16. Just a quick calculation that is probably wrong, the worst spot that Buffalo can end up with if all the teams that are just ahead of them in the standings lose and Buffalo figures out how to play offence and wins next week is 17th. The best spot they could end up with if everyone with the same record, or one more loss than Buffalo loses next week is 11th.
    I've made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts.

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.
  • Ebenezer
    Give me a minute...
    • Jul 2002

go 6-10 and not even get a top 10 choice...that is bad.

For all the education and practice each of us undergoes, the achievment of mastery is ultimately the outcome of a personal quest for understanding.

Comment

• Nighthawk
      Getting old waiting for a championship in Buffalo!
      • Jul 2002

If the season ended today the Bills would pick 15th. Strength of schedule plays in to tie-breakers and the Bills schedule was one of the tougher schedules, so they would actually move down and not up...that blows!

Comment

• Jan Reimers
        Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
        • May 2003

Who cares? Last year's draft was an absolute disaster. One more like that and we'll be 3-13 again next season.

I would like us to get 1 impact player in this draft, rather than a bunch of maybes and backups.
        Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• lordofgun
          in charge of you

Administrator Emeritus
          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Jan Reimers
          Who cares? Last year's draft was an absolute disaster. One more like that and we'll be 3-13 again next season.

I would like us to get 1 impact player in this draft, rather than a bunch of maybes and backups.
          I disagree that the draft was a disaster. In fact, it's too early to judge any team's draft less than a year after the draft.

<a href="http://www.buzzdash.com/index.php?page=buzzbite&amp;BB_id=119588">Do you like me?</a> | <a href="http://www.buzzdash.com">BuzzDash polls</a>

Comment

• ryguy8161
            BRING IT
            • Jul 2002

If the season ended today we would be drafting 13th. San Francisco and Chicago both won today, which pushes us up from last weeks 15th spot.

Next week, if both the Jets and Steelers win and we loose, we'll have I believe the 11th pick. Can anyone confirm that?

Comment

• TigerJ
              • Jul 2002

I was just going to come back and post the update. You beat me, ryguy. I agree, Buffalo is now at #13.

Your calculations on what it takes for Buffalo to get to 11 agree with mine too. Pittsburgh and the Jets both have weaker schedules than ours, so they get the tiebreaker in determining first round draft order. We can't pass anyone with 10 losses even if they win next week because Buffalo has one of the hardest schedules in the league. We basically lose the draft order tiebreaker with any other team. We draft after anyone else with the same record.

BTW, the Steelers ar at Baltimore with Jamal Lewis chasing the single season rushing title. The Jets are at Miami. Unless Miami suffers a "we didn't make the playoffs" letdown, I think we'll be stuck at 13th in round one. I don't see Baltimore losing.
              Last edited by TigerJ; 12-21-2003, 09:17 PM.

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.

Comment

• lordofgun
                in charge of you

Administrator Emeritus
                • Jul 2002

And some of you wanted to win today.

<a href="http://www.buzzdash.com/index.php?page=buzzbite&amp;BB_id=119588">Do you like me?</a> | <a href="http://www.buzzdash.com">BuzzDash polls</a>

Comment

• baalworship
                  • May 2003

Ryguy: You are correct. The draft order is based on win % of the opposition. Buffalo has the toughest schedule based on that and will lose all tie-breakers to teams that finish with similar records. The good news is that San Francisco and Chicago won, moving them to 7 wins and behind us. Other teams that can move behind us next week are the Jets and Pittsburgh. We are now guaranteed to draft at least as high as 13, with 11 the highest we can draft, nless we bench Bledsoe next week!

Here is before this week:

If the draft were held today after games December 14-15

Based on combined W-L % for all 16 opponents for each team....
                  (t) indicates tie subject to coin flip
                  # TEAM W-L OPP
                  W-L %
                  1. San Diego 3-11 .505
                  2. Arizona 3-11 .531
                  3. Atlanta 3-11 .554
                  4. Oakland 4-10 .513
                  5. Detroit 4-10 .527
                  6. (t)Jacksonville 4-10 .540
                  7. (t)Cleveland 4-10 .540
                  8. New York Giants 4-10 .567
                  9. Pittsburgh 5-9 .500
                  10. Washington 5-9 .536
                  11. Houston 5-9 .571
                  12. Chicago 6-8 .482
                  13. San Francisco 6-8 .505
                  14. New York Jets 6-8 .536
                  15. Buffalo 6-8 .585
                  16. (t)New Orleans 7-7 .496
                  17. (t)Tampa Bay 7-7 .496
                  18. Minnesota 8-6 .442
                  19. Cincinnati 8-6 .451
                  20. New England (from Baltimore) 8-6 .455
                  21. Seattle 8-6 .460
                  22. Green Bay 8-6 .491
                  23. Miami 8-6 .527
                  24. Carolina 9-5 .446
                  25. Dallas 9-5 .467
                  26. Denver 9-5 .500
                  27. Tennessee 10-4 .478
                  28. St. Louis 11-3 .411
                  29. Philadelphia 11-3 .482
                  30. Indianapolis 11-3 .487
                  31. Kansas City 12-2 .420
                  32. New England 12-2 .500

The last number is opp win %. We have the highest, or toughest schedule.
                  Last edited by baalworship; 12-21-2003, 09:11 PM.

Comment

• ryguy8161
                    BRING IT
                    • Jul 2002

I don't understand it. Why isn't it the other way around with the strength of schedule? Teams with the harder schedule should be allowed the higher pick right?

Comment

• baalworship
                      • May 2003

The NFL draft is about letting the worst teams pick first. If two teams had the same record, but one team had a tough schedule, the team with the easier schedule is considered weaker and therfore gets to pick first. Sucks to be us!

Comment

• lordofgun
                        in charge of you

Administrator Emeritus
                        • Jul 2002

Let's hope we get beat by NE.

Comment

• TigerJ
                          • Jul 2002

I don't root for the Bills to lose, but we have to be considered a significant longshot to beat them in Foxboro.

Comment

• ryguy8161
                            BRING IT
                            • Jul 2002

Can't they look at it as We have a more difficult schedule and still has the same record as the team with the easier scheldule. There for we are the weaker team who deserver the higher pick?

Comment

• HenryRules
                              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by ryguy8161
                              Can't they look at it as We have a more difficult schedule and still has the same record as the team with the easier scheldule. There for we are the weaker team who deserver the higher pick?
                              I don't follow your logic. If one team can win 7 games against teams with a .600 winning percentage and another wins 7 games against teams with a .400 winning percentage, the team that won against .600 is better. I don't see any other way of looking at it.

I like the way the system works - it makes the most sense for deciding which team makes the playoffs and I think it'd be a bad idea to have one system of tiebreakers for team at the top of the standings and another for teams at the bottom.

Comment

Working...
                              X