PDA

View Full Version : I will now allow my pessimism to speak.

Ebenezer
12-21-2003, 06:32 PM
OK, I'm just not in a good mood but the shy has lots of dark clouds...

Look at this offseason:

1. What to do at the HC position.
2. What to do at the OC position.
3. What to do at the OL coach position.
4. Drew is $6 mil against the cap next year. He also has a $7 mil bonus due on 11/1/04, which counts against the cap as long as he is on the roster (even though it is not payable until 11/1/04).
5. The OL needs lots of help.
6. Travis Henry and Willis McGahee. TH is a warrior with great trade value but the value HAS to be there. WM is a surgically rebuilt knee from being a bust.
7. Replacing Peerless Price still needs to be addressed.
8. Need for a special teams returner.
9. Tough schedule again next year.
10. Ruben Brown's cap number is way too big for the year he just had.
11. Antoine Winfield is an unrestricted free agent. Bad enough in that if we want him we will have to pay some significant money to him but the two behind him (Thomas and McGee) at this point are very far from ready to step in.
12. Rian Lindell. Did we see anything that justifies his cost?
13. 6-10 and we don't even get a top 10 pick!

Anything I forgot?

BillsFever
12-21-2003, 06:37 PM
So it will cost 13 million dollars on the cap to keep the tin man?

Ebenezer
12-21-2003, 06:42 PM
Originally posted by BillsFever
So it will cost 13 million dollars on the cap to keep the tin man?

Unless they rework his contract. From what CP and I have been able to find out that $7 mil counts against the cap even though they don't have to pay it until November. If that is true there is no way TD goes into the season without a renegotiation. That would be grounds for dismissal, imo.

BTW, if they cut DB outright or don't give him the $7 mil bonus he is guarenteed $2 mil as a buy-out.

BillsFever
12-21-2003, 06:50 PM
Originally posted by Ebenezer
Unless they rework his contract. From what CP and I have been able to find out that $7 mil counts against the cap even though they don't have to pay it until November. If that is true there is no way TD goes into the season without a renegotiation. That would be grounds for dismissal, imo.

BTW, if they cut DB outright or don't give him the $7 mil bonus he is guarenteed $2 mil as a buy-out.

Lets just give this loser his 2 million dollars and move on. I don't wanna invest 1.3 million dollars into this scrub let alone 13 million dollars.

There is definitely no way in hell I wanna re-work his contract and push his money into later years. All it will do is cost us more money in the future when they finally give up on him. Nothing is gonna change from what we have seen the last 23 games.

I can't believe anybody with half a brain would wanna keep this guy and pay him 13 million dollars next year.

Turf
12-21-2003, 07:26 PM
I'm starting to think it's time for TD and everyone to go. Total house cleaning.

SABURZFAN
12-21-2003, 07:39 PM

Look at this offseason:

4. Drew is $6 mil against the cap next year. He also has a $7 mil bonus due on 11/1/04, which counts against the cap as long as he is on the roster (even though it is not payable until 11/1/04).
6. Travis Henry and Willis McGahee. TH is a warrior with great trade value but the value HAS to be there. WM is a surgically rebuilt knee from being a bust.
11. Antoine Winfield is an unrestricted free agent. Bad enough in that if we want him we will have to pay some significant money to him but the two behind him (Thomas and McGee) at this point are very far from ready to step in.

Anything I forgot?

1.get rid of him
2.get rid of him
3.get rid of him
4.get rid of him
5.it's not as bad as it seems but we need help.read #3 also.
6.we could utilize both of them.
7.i agree.
8.ST has been horrible what seems to be forever.
9.go figure
10.and he's going to the Pro Bowl???HOW?????
11.let winfield go.i've watched k.thomas in college(UNLV)and i think he was the steal of the draft.
12.is the guy at UB any good?
13.parity

OpIv37
12-21-2003, 08:09 PM
Hmmm.... I think Drew deserves another chance with a decent line and an OC who doesn't have sh-- for brains, but not for $13 mil. If that's correct I can't see keeping him on this team....

I'd like to get rid of Reuben but there's two problems:
1. How do you cut a player who made the Pro Bowl?
2. Despite his penalties and lackluster performance this year, he's one of the better O-linemen we have right now.

The only thing to do would be try to trade him- is anyone looking to offload a speedy receiver in exchange for 20 yards of penalties a game, I mean, a Pro-Bowl guard?

Historian
12-21-2003, 08:51 PM
Originally posted by Travis Hunter
I'm starting to think it's time for TD and everyone to go. Total house cleaning.

I'm beginning to agree.

stuckincincy
12-21-2003, 09:08 PM

Look at this offseason:

Anything I forgot?

Not much :D

I believe this team has significant institutional problems. They have generally been described as an asture organization - solid mid and lower round picks, strong home performances, and so forth. I feel that that has changed. Ralph aging? Kids not-so-sharp?

I don't quite buy it when they are referred to having a lot of talent in the players. I'm hard-pressed to think of more that a few players that are on the bench that instill confidence.

The coaching of GW/KG is beyond belief, and yet they stay...

baalworship
12-21-2003, 09:34 PM
I am not pessimistic, yet. We obviously need to get rid of

GW, Gilbride and all on the offensive side of the ball, and Bledsoe.

But if we hire Fassel or Haslett I will be super depressed. I am hoping Kirk Ferentz or Coughlin.

We need to get rid of Bledsoe but we need a viable option. I say Billy Volek and a draft pick.

Our offensive will be better when we have all 5 starters. Starting Marques Sullivan at LT was disaster. Pucillo needs to go as well. If we can get a mauling RG next to Williams and a real center we should be good.

We also desperately need playmakers. McGahee could be a super change of pace and I would like to see Kellen Winslow Jr or Reggie Williams drafted with our 1st rounder.

We have plenty of cap room and will probably hire a coach that will leave Jerry Grey & Lebeau intact.

BillsFever
12-21-2003, 09:36 PM
I'd rather have Mark Brunell for a year or two to keep the seat warm.

Ebenezer
12-21-2003, 09:44 PM
Originally posted by baalworship
We need to get rid of Bledsoe but we need a viable option. I say Billy Volek and a draft pick.

We went down this path before with a guy named Rob Johnson, remember??

DallasDolfan
12-21-2003, 09:49 PM
Fire everybody and start from scratch.

Ebenezer
12-21-2003, 09:53 PM
Originally posted by DallasDolfan
Fire everybody and start from scratch.

Don't speak to soon...same thing may happen to Wanny. Repeat after me...no playoffs for Miami either....and judging from what I read in the Hearld last week Wayne is more upset than Ralph.

Lone Stranger
12-21-2003, 09:53 PM
I believe it would be appropriate to now call Bledsoe=Concrete Man. And by the way did anyone notice that Travis Brown actually side-stepped a pass rusher. That is an impossibility for DB.

On a more serious nature it seems that TD is reluctant to acknowledge his mistakes, in particular, DB, a reason we may be stuck with him for another year. If RW had not deteriorated to senility, then he should can everybody and start fresh. But he's not the sharpie he once was.

OpIv37
12-21-2003, 09:55 PM

We went down this path before with a guy named Rob Johnson, remember??

Excellent call. All we need is a caretaker QB- either restructure Bledsoe's contract or find a veteran and put the extra money towards the O-line. Bring in a run-oriented offense- with Henry and MacGahee and a good D we'll be set.

baalworship
12-21-2003, 10:01 PM
Billy Volek is not Rob Johnson. Just because the previous regime failed in evaluating a QB doesn't mean we can only draft a QB or get a real old experienced QB. Carolina did okay with Delhomme. I bet Volek is as good as Delhomme. We only need a QB that can hand off, make some throws in key spots, and avoid the rush. I bet Volek can do that. I like Brunell too but that's almost as risky and it has very little upside too it. Best case scenario he holds the fort for 1-2 years.

Even if Volek fails, AVP can do what Bledsoe is doing now and for a lot less money.

OpIv37
12-21-2003, 10:06 PM
Originally posted by baalworship
Billy Volek is not Rob Johnson. Just because the previous regime failed in evaluating a QB doesn't mean we can only draft a QB or get a real old experienced QB. Carolina did okay with Delhomme. I bet Volek is as good as Delhomme. We only need a QB that can hand off, make some throws in key spots, and avoid the rush. I bet Volek can do that. I like Brunell too but that's almost as risky and it has very little upside too it. Best case scenario he holds the fort for 1-2 years.

Even if Volek fails, AVP can do what Bledsoe is doing now and for a lot less money.

It depends on what Volek would be willing to take- the thing is that he's still unproven. He's done well but has had very limited experience- the same situation that RJ was in before he came to Buffalo. If he'll work cheap, fine, but don't shell out millions until he shows some consistency.

caveboy
12-21-2003, 11:30 PM
"OK, I'm just not in a good mood but the shy has lots of dark clouds..."

Look at this offseason:

Anyone else. Addition by subtraction.

(See #1)

I want to build there through draft or FA before totally going for new coach.

See ya. Draft new QB. He can't move. Holds the ball too long in favor of the deep route. Looks off open receivers in the flat. Kills too many drives after making big play by calling TO and giving Mr. Mo Mentum back to opponents. No touch in the short passing game. Forces throws. Shall I go on?

See #3

Yes, but TH is giving up the ball in key situations. I like his hit-the-line attitude, but the turnovers man, they're killing us.

I think Shaw or Reed are ok in the short game. What made this situation worse is that we also lost Centers. He was a dependable go-to outlet who's loss has been really underestimated in Drew's game this year. I think KG f'd things up by going to a long game with Moulds strictly as Drew's go-to. TH can be effective out of the backfield with screens.

What, you don't like the 'blazing speed of ...' Nevermind.

. Tough schedule again next year.

All games were tough THIS year, lol.

"Charlie, Charlie, Charlie..." Kids hits the hammer pretty good. Could be worth a look.

See ya. Tackles great, covers not.

Totally agree. See ya.

Uh, well, ummm. KG's fault!

;-p

14) We're a good D – not great. One problem that's occuring still is our inability to stop teams on 3rd downs. Would a Sapp-like rusher help? I don't think so. I mean, we gave up a 20 yard 3rd and 20 today? Poor tackling, backs laying off the line, no LB's staying at home? I can't blame execution as much as the lack of defensive attitude by the coaches. Why are we still not as agressive as with blitzes or coverage on WRs at the line?

HenryRules
12-21-2003, 11:34 PM
I really disagree that we need a new returner.

Charlie Rogers looked pretty good for Miami today yet he did nothing at all for us. None of our 6 or 7 different returners in the last 3 years or so have done anything. Maybe the issue is not the returners after all.

Jan Reimers
12-22-2003, 06:18 AM
Originally posted by OpIv37

I'd like to get rid of Reuben but there's two problems:
1. How do you cut a player who made the Pro Bowl?

Easy: " Don't let the door hit you in the butt, Ruben."