PDA

View Full Version : I Think There May Be Something Seriously Wrong With Drew

Jan Reimers
12-22-2003, 06:35 AM
I hope I'm wrong, but his loss of motor skills look far more serious than you would expect from a 31 year old who was once a fine athlete, but now is in "normal" decline. Drew's problems look far from normal to me.

Tatonka
12-22-2003, 07:00 AM
i wondered the same thing actually..

Ickybaluky
12-22-2003, 07:52 AM
I think it is more confidence than anything. I have seen it before, in Jim Plunkett near his end with the Patriots.

Remember, early in his career, Parcells made protecting Drew priority one. The Pats didn't emphasize running the football, but rather protecting the QB. Drew was among the least-sacked QBs in the NFL under Parcells. He became adept at reading defenses and spread the ball around. In 1994, Drew had 5 different receivers with 50-or-more catches (Vincent Brisby, Michael Timpson, Kevin Turner, Leroy Thompson and Ben Coates). He was a young, very good QB on an improving young team. He was confident and good at what they asked him to do, and he was part of the system.

However, after Parcells left something happened. Pete Carroll brought in Ernie Zampese and he made Drew the guy to build the offense around. The theory was, Drew was ready to become one of those "special" QBs, a franchise guy. But Drew wasn't special, he was just good. However, Zampese brought in his downfield passing game (the same system St. Louis and KC run now), which puts the focus on the QB and exposes him to more hits.

Drew bought into the idea he was the man, instead of an important part of the machine, and took it upon himself to try and make big plays. But Drew had never been a big-play guy. He had been the guy who spread the ball around and doing his job. In big games, the team won by relying on Curtis Martin, not Drew. When Martin left, Drew tried to pick up the slack and couldn't get it done in the clutch. He was still a good QB, but he wasn't a Favre.

Towards the end of his Patriots tenure, the Pats OL deteriorated and Drew had the living crap kicked out of him. from 1998 through 2000, his sack numbers steadily increased. Drew is tough, even his biggest detractors can't take that from him, and he still had the mentality that he was the franchise guy. When Belichick arrived, he wanted Drew to play a more complementary game, as he had earlier in his career. But Drew has held onto the mentality he was the "MAN", and that ultimately led to the end in New England.

Ironically, the early success Drew had in Buffalo helped re-inforce his mentality that he was a special player. He isn't, but he isn't as bad as he is playing now. Right now, he looks like a guy who has completely lost confidence, a result of the beatings he has taken in recent seasons. He looks like Plunkett did in 1976.

After the Pats traded Plunkett he bombed in San Francisco. Oakland signed him as a reclamation project and sat him on the bench for a full season. They slowly rebuilt his confidence and when he played for them he led them to 2 Super Bowls. He finally played to the promise he showed as a Heisman winner and bright, young rookie QB.

That is Drew's only hope. If Drew can re-gain his confidence he cna once again become the good QB who spreads the ball around and keeps teams honest. He will never be the MAN, but he can be a winner. He isn't over the hill, but his confidence his shattered. However, it doesn't seem likely he will be able to do that in Buffalo, unless the new head coach is a guy who can really help him.

It wouldn't surprise me if Drew ends up in Dallas somehow, probably in 2005. Parcells always liked him, and will put Drew in situations where he is confident. He won't ask him to win games on his own, and he will make protecting him a priority.

justasportsfan
12-22-2003, 08:00 AM
Originally posted by NE39
I think it is more confidence than anything. I have seen it before, in Jim Plunkett near his end with the Patriots.

Remember, early in his career, Parcells made protecting Drew priority one. The Pats didn't emphasize running the football, but rather protecting the QB. Drew was among the least-sacked QBs in the NFL under Parcells. He became adept at reading defenses and spread the ball around. In 1994, Drew had 5 different receivers with 50-or-more catches (Vincent Brisby, Michael Timpson, Kevin Turner, Leroy Thompson and Ben Coates). He was a young, very good QB on an improving young team. He was confident and good at what they asked him to do, and he was part of the system.

However, after Parcells left something happened. Pete Carroll brought in Ernie Zampese and he made Drew the guy to build the offense around. The theory was, Drew was ready to become one of those "special" QBs, a franchise guy. But Drew wasn't special, he was just good. However, Zampese brought in his downfield passing game (the same system St. Louis and KC run now), which puts the focus on the QB and exposes him to more hits.

Drew bought into the idea he was the man, instead of an important part of the machine, and took it upon himself to try and make big plays. But Drew had never been a big-play guy. He had been the guy who spread the ball around and doing his job. In big games, the team won by relying on Curtis Martin, not Drew. When Martin left, Drew tried to pick up the slack and couldn't get it done in the clutch. He was still a good QB, but he wasn't a Favre.

Towards the end of his Patriots tenure, the Pats OL deteriorated and Drew had the living crap kicked out of him. from 1998 through 2000, his sack numbers steadily increased. Drew is tough, even his biggest detractors can't take that from him, and he still had the mentality that he was the franchise guy. When Belichick arrived, he wanted Drew to play a more complementary game, as he had earlier in his career. But Drew has held onto the mentality he was the "MAN", and that ultimately led to the end in New England.

Ironically, the early success Drew had in Buffalo helped re-inforce his mentality that he was a special player. He isn't, but he isn't as bad as he is playing now. Right now, he looks like a guy who has completely lost confidence, a result of the beatings he has taken in recent seasons. He looks like Plunkett did in 1976.

After the Pats traded Plunkett he bombed in San Francisco. Oakland signed him as a reclamation project and sat him on the bench for a full season. They slowly rebuilt his confidence and when he played for them he led them to 2 Super Bowls. He finally played to the promise he showed as a Heisman winner and bright, young rookie QB.

That is Drew's only hope. If Drew can re-gain his confidence he cna once again become the good QB who spreads the ball around and keeps teams honest. He will never be the MAN, but he can be a winner. He isn't over the hill, but his confidence his shattered. However, it doesn't seem likely he will be able to do that in Buffalo, unless the new head coach is a guy who can really help him.

It wouldn't surprise me if Drew ends up in Dallas somehow, probably in 2005. Parcells always liked him, and will put Drew in situations where he is confident. He won't ask him to win games on his own, and he will make protecting him a priority.

Great stuff and it makes sense. This is why I've stated all Drew has to do is not stink. The more pressure he puts on himself, the worse he gtet's which is why I'm asking why are we paying 6 million for a qb who would be best just being a caretaker?

Ebenezer
12-22-2003, 08:01 AM
No QB coach. That will do a lot for somebody if they are having problems.

Also, it came out this morning that Ruben has basically been playing with one arm for more than half a season.

LtBillsFan66
12-22-2003, 08:15 AM
Great insight NE39.

Jan Reimers
12-22-2003, 08:24 AM
Originally posted by billsfanone
Great insight NE39.

I hope you're right, NE39. It just looks more ominous to me.

Ebenezer
12-22-2003, 08:29 AM
Originally posted by NE39
Parcells always liked him, and will put Drew in situations where he is confident. He won't ask him to win games on his own, and he will make protecting him a priority.

Like any good business. If you want an employ to succeed you put them in the best fit for them. That is not happening with any of the offensive players except TH.

helmetguy
12-22-2003, 05:32 PM
Originally posted by Ebenezer
Like any good business. If you want an employ to succeed you put them in the best fit for them. That is not happening with any of the offensive players except TH.

Yeah. How galling do you think it is to KG that the only part of his splendid offense that works is the one he'd scrap completely, if allowed? Not that he didn't try to scrap it, that is!

Alluro
12-22-2003, 05:44 PM
didn't the pats go 6-10 in the season drew had 5 different receivers with 50 or more catches

SABURZFAN
12-22-2003, 05:53 PM
the only serious problem that i see is that we have ANOTHER QB that's overpaid.:mad:

mchurchfie
12-22-2003, 06:24 PM
Originally posted by Ebenezer
No QB coach. That will do a lot for somebody if they are having problems.

He does have a QB coach...unfortunately, it is Gilbride. Gilbride won't allow a QB coach in his system other than himself, he wants to be the man.:shakeno:

BAM
12-22-2003, 06:43 PM
I hate KG.

Ickybaluky
12-22-2003, 09:03 PM
No, that year (1994) was Drew's and Parcell's 2nd year, and they won 7 in a row down the stretch to make the playoffs. They lost to Cleveland in the first round.

The following year, 1995, they had an off year, but Bledsoe suffered a separated a shoulder in the 3rd game against SF and, while only missing a few games, didn't play as well. The year after that they lost in the Super Bowl to Green Bay, and Parcells left for the Jets.