PDA

View Full Version : One bright spot from yesterday.

zone
12-22-2003, 09:41 AM
This guy is the real deal.

His special teams play alone is the best I have seen since Tasker.

Also his limited play on defense has been extremely solid if not excelent. He has 2 picks, only 1 less then Clements (who leads the team with 3) a sack, and a forced fumble. 27 total tackles with only limited play in 13 games. I think we really missed him last week, I don't know why he was not playing on d. Maybee if he was in he could have picked up some of Winfields slack.

IMO we can expect very good things to come from #24.

lordofgun
12-22-2003, 09:44 AM
I agree. THe kid is playing very well.

Last year's draft was definitely not a bust. :up:

Ebenezer
12-22-2003, 09:50 AM
Originally posted by lordofgun
I agree. THe kid is playing very well.

Last year's draft was definitely not a bust. :up:

Don't get your knickers in an uproar just yet, he's not ready to take over for Winfield.

zone
12-22-2003, 09:56 AM
Originally posted by Ebenezer
Don't get your knickers in an uproar just yet, he's not ready to take over for Winfield.

Yea he still knows how to picks the ball off and cover recievers....

The_Philster
12-22-2003, 09:58 AM
being placed a minimum of 5-7 yards off the ball every play doesn't help you cover. :rolleyes:

zone
12-22-2003, 10:02 AM
Originally posted by The_Philster
being placed a minimum of 5-7 yards off the ball every play doesn't help you cover. :rolleyes:

At CB you dictate how far you play of the reciever, yes I know the coverage dictates what you are suposed to play, but the individule player judges what he needs to keep coverage. Clements seems to do a fine job on the other side.

The_Philster
12-22-2003, 10:04 AM
Originally posted by zone
At CB you dictate how far you play of the reciever, yes I know the coverage dictates what you are suposed to play, but the individule player judges what he needs to keep coverage. Clements seems to do a fine job on the other side.

The coverage is dictated by the play call and they throw to Antoine's side quite a bit more than Nate's if I'm not mistaken.

zone
12-22-2003, 10:06 AM
The coverage is dictated by the play call and they throw to Antoine's side quite a bit more than Nate's if I'm not mistaken.

I understand that, but you ajust once the balls snaped to your speed. So any distance keeped after the ball is snaped if it's man coverage falls on the CB's shoulder not the play call. If it's zone that's a diffrent story.

The_Philster
12-22-2003, 10:09 AM
Only thing is, it's a big help to the CB to be placed in tight coverage (a yard or two away from the LOS, max) because he can jam the receiver at the line and disrupt the route enough that he can read the receiver's moves more easily. With the way they have been playing Antoine, he can't touch the WR until he's in the process of catching the ball.

lordofgun
12-22-2003, 10:13 AM
Originally posted by Ebenezer

I never said he'd be a pro-bowl corner if we put him in there.

But then again...neither is Winfield.

IHateTheDullphins
12-22-2003, 10:15 AM
McGee may not be ready to take over for AW yet, but he certainly is on the fast track to that goal. How can you not notice his high level of play for such a young rookie.

helmetguy
12-22-2003, 05:29 PM
Only thing is, it's a big help to the CB to be placed in tight coverage (a yard or two away from the LOS, max) because he can jam the receiver at the line and disrupt the route enough that he can read the receiver's moves more easily. With the way they have been playing Antoine, he can't touch the WR until he's in the process of catching the ball.

Also, with that 5-7 yard cushion, Winfield almost in variably ends up taking a "bail" move at the snap, in order to keep up with the receiver. With that, he ends up in man-under/over with no safety help. If he were used in "press" more often (since he usually ends up facing the opponents' #1 WR, he'd have more of a chance to "steer" the WR toward the coverage. That's what Miami was doing to the Bills' WRs all day long yesterday.

Whatever happens with Winfield, I think TD has already considered most of the scenarios. I like the kid McGee. He looks like he could really develop and produce. That's good, since I STILL have nightmares from the "J.D. Williams Experiment."

zone
12-22-2003, 05:42 PM
[i] I like the kid McGee. He looks like he could really develop and produce. [/B]

That's what I am saying.... wish we could have gotten more opinions on this one, maybee people have not been watching him much. I don't know how you could miss his special teams play though.....

TigerJ
12-22-2003, 09:10 PM
I haven't watched too closely, but I like what little I've seen. He seems to have plenty of speed and moxie. I did specifically look to see if he had the backpedal problem that was reported when he was drafted. He looked like he backpedaled OK to me. Maybe his college coach never showed him how.

the dude
12-27-2003, 03:09 AM
Someone commented about Winfield's problems in coverage last Sunday ... look, they completed one pass on Winfield despite decent coverage. They totaled less than 50 yards passing. let's not blame the wrong side of the ball for that Miami fiasco.

I do think McGee has potential but we will need an experienced replacement for Winfield if we want to keep our defense strong.