PDA

View Full Version : Wilson vows to fix Oline

Tatonka
12-22-2003, 07:03 PM
"Wilson Backs Bledsoe

Owner Ralph Wilson addressed the media after the loss to Miami and once again said he thinks Drew Bledsoe is a good quarterback and said he will pay him next year and bring him back. Bledsoe is due $6 Million next season as the 2nd stage of his contract kicks in. Wilson put the blame for the offensive woes squarely on the offensive line, saying Bledsoe has no time to throw. He did vow to get the offensive woes straightened out in the off season."

pulled that from billsdaily.

great news .. at least about the oline.

BAM
12-22-2003, 07:09 PM
:up: hope he keeps his word.

Turf
12-22-2003, 08:16 PM
Well I knew he would do this.
But Ralph has to realize in today's NFL, QB's like Kelly don't have a chance, and Drew is done.
Drew is just too slow mentally and physically.
This also bothers me, because his vocal decision to keep Drew tells me the next coach won't have any say, if there is a next coach. Obviously the O-Line coach and his decisions have been all wrong as well. Does anyone see this in Bills' management?
So the next coach will be forced to keep Drew.
Which means Williams may not go, and IF he does, another neutered coach will be brought in.
So forget about a Coughlin or any strong willed coach with any personality coming here, they will be under Ralph and TD's thumb, which spells another dreadfull era.

TigerJ
12-22-2003, 08:30 PM
Actually I think the Bills do not have to commit to the second stage of Bledsoe's contract until during the season sometime, I think he is due the second stage bonus sometime in either October or November. If Buffalo were to decline, then Bledsoe becomes a free agent after the season next fall. To bring him back next fall is one thing. I hope they think long and hard before they pay that next bonus. If Bledsoe can't cut it, that would put Buffalo on the fast track to salary cap jail. It would be much harder financially to cut him or trade him once that bonus is paid.

BillsFever
12-22-2003, 08:49 PM
I heard if Bledsoe is on the roster in November we owe him the money no matter what.

That means we have 3 choices

1- Cut Bledsoe after this season and owe him nothing

2- Keep Bledsoe going into the season and cut him before November and pay him a 2 million dollar bonus.

3- Keep Bledsoe going into the season, and also stash away millions on the cap if we planned on keeping him past November, and also pay him a 7 million dollar bonus to take over the next 3 years of his contract worth an average of about 9 million a year.

I don't think I should have to even mention which option is the best.

Turf
12-22-2003, 08:53 PM
The problem is Ralph already made up his mind.

BillsFever
12-22-2003, 08:56 PM
Originally posted by Travis Hunter
The problem is Ralph already made up his mind.

:puke:

losman2evans
12-22-2003, 09:20 PM
Having a better offensive line will help the Bill's future whether or not Bledsoe is here in the future,

Games are won in the trenches.

Pat Williams Sam Adams, Schoebel, ?

?(Jennings) ( Brown) ? ? ,Williams

We need one DE and 2- 3 new offensive lineman

Turf
12-22-2003, 10:38 PM
We need an O-Line coach. A head coach. An offensive Coord. A QB coach.
And I really believe we need a new QB.

Ingtar33
12-22-2003, 10:54 PM
right now we're getting average play from our tackles, and bad play from our guards and center... its hard to replace your whole middle of your line in one off season.

we also need a good LE to rotate in, Denney isn't it, and Kelsay is 2 or 3 years away from 8 sack seasons

BillsMan80
12-22-2003, 11:14 PM
Here's my take on the problems. I think, #1, our Center and our Right Guard play is poor, and we need to beef up those positions. I think we have 4 capable tackles, but we have 1 capable interior lineman. The Interior must be upgraded. If we upgrade the interior, we are fine with Drew(I think). We need a playmaking WR. No matter how we get one, we need a player who can beat his corner at the line, and stretch the field. We could use a better playmaker at FS, and we need more consistent play from our Ends. Whether this means this is what we must do in FA, I am not sure, but these should be our target spots, in addition to a QB of the future.

SABURZFAN
12-23-2003, 06:01 AM
why not get rid of bledsoe and his contract AND fix the OL?when will the The Old Fart realize that we have ANOTHER overpaid QB in buffalo?:deadhorse

Jeff1220
12-23-2003, 07:22 AM
I think they should keep Drew, and draft a good QB to take over in a year or so.

Ron C.
12-23-2003, 12:37 PM
quote from BillsFever:

2- Keep Bledsoe going into the season and cut him before November and pay him a 2 million dollar bonus.

Actually, he doesn't get cut before November, he becomes a free agent after the season.

WCoastFin
12-23-2003, 12:40 PM
YESSSSSS! I too hope he keeps his word about having Bledsoe start next year again.....

Drewpac
12-23-2003, 12:50 PM
The only way that Bledsoe should stay as our QB is if we rework his contract to a more manageable number. After his crappy play this season the Bills have tons of leverage in negotiations. Essentially, we tell him that if he wants to stay that he has to take a huge paycut. If he won't, then we kick his *ss to the curb.

Novacane
12-23-2003, 02:57 PM
If Ralph wants a shot at winning a Super Bowl before he croaks he better change his mind about Drew!

BillsFever
12-23-2003, 03:10 PM
Originally posted by Fairway To Green
If Ralph wants a shot at winning a Super Bowl before he croaks he better change his mind about Drew!

No doubt.

He wants to rely on a QB who is like what 2-18 on the road vs. teams with a .500 record or better in his last 20 attempts, has more TO's then TD's in his last 4 years,and also has only one 19 out of his last 65 games.

At this rate Ralph is expecting to live to see 100.

zone
12-23-2003, 03:46 PM
I guess everyone here is a better judge of talent then someone who has owned a team for 44 years.

Lets get rid of drew and hopefully we can get a quality FA proven qb like..... ??????

Novacane
12-23-2003, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by zone
I guess everyone here is a better judge of talent then someone who has owned a team for 44 years.

Lets get rid of drew and hopefully we can get a quality FA proven qb like..... ??????

It will be interesting to hear what you have to say next year at this time if we keep Bledsoe. :doh:

BillsFever
12-23-2003, 03:55 PM

So you see no problem in paying Drew 13 million dollars next year?

zone
12-23-2003, 03:56 PM
Doug Johnson - Atlanta
Chris Redman - Baltimore
Anthony Wright - Baltimore
Shane Matthews - Cincinnati
Ty Detmer - Detroit
Mike McMahon - Detroit (RFA)
Peyton Manning - Indianapolis
Jesse Palmer - New York Giants (RFA)
Todd Bouman - New Orleans
Rick Mirer - Oakland
A.J. Feeley - Philadelphia (RFA)
Marc Bulger - St. Louis (RFA)

There is your list.... who do you want???? Manning (same type qb as drew will be less mobile in 2 years) ? Not going to happen. Bulger (INT master)? Not going to happen.

So you tell me who will step in for you to save this team in one year?

BillsFever
12-23-2003, 03:56 PM
Oh yeah, and who cares if he owned a team for 44 years. He said RJ was the QB of the future too.

BillsFever
12-23-2003, 04:00 PM
Doug Johnson - Atlanta
Chris Redman - Baltimore
Anthony Wright - Baltimore
Shane Matthews - Cincinnati
Ty Detmer - Detroit
Mike McMahon - Detroit (RFA)
Peyton Manning - Indianapolis
Jesse Palmer - New York Giants (RFA)
Todd Bouman - New Orleans
Rick Mirer - Oakland
A.J. Feeley - Philadelphia (RFA)
Marc Bulger - St. Louis (RFA)

There is your list.... who do you want???? Manning (same type qb as drew will be less mobile in 2 years) ? Not going to happen. Bulger (INT master)? Not going to happen.

So you tell me who will step in for you to save this team in one year?

I don't think it's possible to be less mobile then Drew. My grandma has more mobility then Drew.

If you would rather have Drew over Manning or Bulger then you are dumber then I thought.

I'm begining to think you just migrated to a Bills fan after Drew left there. Hopefully you can follow him to his next team too.

zone
12-23-2003, 04:00 PM
Like I said I am sure everyone here knows more about talent, and football then Ralph.

BillsFever
12-23-2003, 04:01 PM
The sad thing is Wright, Johnson, and Mier has about as many TD's as Drew has this year in half of the games.

Novacane
12-23-2003, 04:01 PM
Originally posted by BillsFever

If you would rather have Drew over Manning or Bulger then you are dumber then I thought.

Amen! Saying Manning and Bledsoe are the same QB is idiotic!

BillsFever
12-23-2003, 04:02 PM
Them guys will cost us about a million bucks next year. Drew would cost us 13 million dollars.

13 million dollars for 10 TD's and 20 TO's? Do you smoke a lot of crack, zone?

BillsFever
12-23-2003, 04:04 PM
Drew would be the highest paid QB next year. He's not even a Top 15 QB anymore.

For 13 million dollars you better have a guranteed star. Not somebody who you "hope" will turn it around after 4.5 bad seasons out of the last 5.

Novacane
12-23-2003, 04:04 PM
Like I said I am sure everyone here knows more about talent, and football then Ralph.

Rob Johnson
Todd Collins
Vince Ferragamo
Joe Dufek
Bruce Matheson

Yeah...............Ralph sure knows how to evaluate QB talent there zone!!!!!!!!!!!!!

zone
12-23-2003, 04:05 PM
I don't think it's possible to be less mobile then Drew. My grandma has more mobility then Drew.

I'm begining to think you just migrated to a Bills fan after Drew left there. Hopefully you can follow him to his next team too.

Yup I am the migrator.

I never said I would rather, I said we are not getting either of them.

So you tell me from that list who will step in right away to save the day?

You honestly do not think that if we get a line and a speed reciever that things will not be ok next year? I will eat my words without a problem, but I will tell you now, with a new OC coming in, moulds back to 100%, a improved line, and willis and henry in the backfield. this team will be back on track. If that happens and we suck still then I will say you are right.

BillsFever
12-23-2003, 04:05 PM
I think zone is just too zoned out to know any better.

zone
12-23-2003, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by Fairway To Green
Rob Johnson
Todd Collins
Vince Ferragamo
Joe Dufek
Bruce Matheson

Yeah...............Ralph sure knows how to evaluate QB talent there zone!!!!!!!!!!!!!

lets see your resume on picking NFL talent.

Madden 93-2004?

BillsFever
12-23-2003, 04:07 PM
Yup I am the migrator.

I never said I would rather, I said we are not getting either of them.

So you tell me from that list who will step in right away to save the day?

You honestly do not think that if we get a line and a speed reciever that things will not be ok next year? I will eat my words without a problem, but I will tell you now, with a new OC coming in, moulds back to 100%, a improved line, and willis and henry in the backfield. this team will be back on track. If that happens and we suck still then I will say you are right.

No because you will be gone when Drew is gone.

Drew had his speed WR the last half of last year and what did he do? 7 TD's and 16 TO's. That's what he did.

Any QB could be good with a wall of an OL, 1 Stud WR, another semi-stud speed WR next to him.

BillsFever
12-23-2003, 04:09 PM
So, Zone. You can actually sit there and say you think Drew Bledsoe's play warrants getting paid 13 million dollars next year? I think you need to get your head checked.

None of us said them QB's would be our savior. Drew Bledsoe has showed he's not our savior either. The difference is them guys would cost about a million dollars to suck and Drew would cost 13 million dollars to suck.

And all you wanna say is get Drew this, get Drew that and he can be a good QB. Well, with his 13 million dollar cap number we won't see anybody else because it will all be tied up into Drew.

zone
12-23-2003, 04:09 PM
Any QB could be good with a wall of an OL, 1 Stud WR, another semi-stud speed WR next to him.

so take your pick off that list... let's here your briliant plan!

Novacane
12-23-2003, 04:10 PM
Drew would be awesome if only defenses had to count to 5 M-I-S-S-I-S-S-I-P-P-I before they were allowed to rush him!!!!!!!!!!!

zone
12-23-2003, 04:11 PM
So, Zone. You can actually sit there and say you think Drew Bledsoe's play warrants getting paid 13 million dollars next year? I think you need to get your head checked.

Quote me were I posted this.......

All I was doing is defending Ralph's decsision. We should count our blessings to have a owner like him, cause once he is gone the bills will not be far behind.

Novacane
12-23-2003, 04:12 PM

so take your pick off that list... let's here your briliant plan!

I want a guy that will be on that list after the season ends. Mark Brunell!

zone
12-23-2003, 04:13 PM
Take your pick of the list, who can step in next year and take this team to glory, lets hear it now. Then we can all bow down and give you the credit you deserve after we see the numbers the qb you pick has next year.

BillsFever
12-23-2003, 04:13 PM
Quote me were I posted this.......

All I was doing is defending Ralph's decsision. We should count our blessings to have a owner like him, cause once he is gone the bills will not be far behind.

Well you're on the campaign to bring him back so that must mean you have no problem paying him 13 million dollars next year.

zone
12-23-2003, 04:20 PM
Brunell is not a bad choice, he only played 3 games this year, and his last year #'s still don't compare to drews, but at least he can move.

Novacane
12-23-2003, 04:23 PM
Rumors are Garcia could be a salcap cut in SanFran too. I'd take him over Drew!!!!

zone
12-23-2003, 04:24 PM
The point is drew will be on this team next year so wasting our time talking about it is pointless. Lets worry about the additions that we can and will make.... like getting Northcutt.

Novacane
12-23-2003, 04:28 PM
[B]The point is drew will be on this team next year so wasting our time talking about it is pointless. B]

Probably but it's not definate. I don't care what Ralph say's publically. There is no way they are going to pay Drew the 13 million his contract calls for next year. He's to smart a businessman to do that.

stevo
12-23-2003, 04:34 PM
You guys are failing to see the point that Drewpac made and that is that Bledsoe won't have the same contract going into next year. He has no options but to settle out his current contract and sign a new deal. If he doesn't he will be cut and will not fetch a whole lot on the open market. Give the Bills management some credit and assume that they will see this too.

Another thing is players at Bledsoe's stage of his career are filthy rich and are just as interested in winning as they are in money. The Bills give Bledsoe a good chance of winning. And don't tell me that he already has a Super Bowl ring, because you could see on his face at the end of SB 36 that it didn't mean a lot to him.

stevo
12-23-2003, 04:37 PM
If you can get Garcia or Brunell for less than Bledsoe is willing to sign for I would say go with either one of them.

The Natrix
12-23-2003, 04:39 PM
Originally posted by Ingtar33
its hard to replace your whole middle of your line in one off season.

This is exactly why it makes too much sense to get a QB who doesn't need a perfect O-line

losman2evans
12-23-2003, 08:38 PM
Terrell Owens
Eric Moulds
Kellen Winslow Jr
Travis Henry
Jeff Garcia
Sam gash
( Jennings) ? Brown Woody ? Williams

= top 10 offense

Winfield replacement Champ Bailey or Winfield
New Left DE

= top 5 defense

=Playoffs

Watching Bledsoe this year was like watching Todd Collins and then Rob Johnson-

madness
12-23-2003, 09:42 PM
Drew will tear up any defense with protection AND a limited role, something he hasn't had all year and which broke down at the end of last year. Get rid of overrated R. Brown and fix the offensive line. Then get a head coach and OC who knows how to run the ball. *or a HC who's not afraid to tell the OC to run the ball!*

Defenses will bring more men in the box to stop TH and Bledsoe would capitalize better than MOST QB's in league. *Miami learned that last year*

Sure get rid of Bledsoe, and what proven quarterback of the same caliber are you gonna bring in here?

Only things that need to change on offense are the lines and the biggie - THE PLAY CALLING.

Drewpac
12-24-2003, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by bledsoe2moulds
Terrell Owens
Eric Moulds
Kellen Winslow Jr
Travis Henry
Jeff Garcia
Sam gash
( Jennings) ? Brown Woody ? Williams

= top 10 offense

Winfield replacement Champ Bailey or Winfield
New Left DE

= top 5 defense

=Playoffs

Now that's what I'm talking about. The greatest thing of all is that this is a realistic possibility. You could switch Brunell with Garcia and that would be just as good. I like the Winslow Jr. selection as well. That would be an explosive offense. Especially with Willis as a third down back since Garcia loves to throw those short passes. I will dream of this lineup every day during the offseason.

The_Philster
12-24-2003, 12:40 PM
No to Owens....we couldn't afford Peerless....what makes anyone think we could afford TO?
No to Winslow. He's a jive-ass with that soldier crap...and we are in good shape at TE.

Drewpac
12-24-2003, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by The_Philster
No to Owens....we couldn't afford Peerless....what makes anyone think we could afford TO?
No to Winslow. He's a jive-ass with that soldier crap...and we are in good shape at TE.

How are we in good shape at TE? We have two slow plodders, one of which is at the end of his career(Moore). Campbell was a nice surprise but he's not a gamebreaker. Give Winslow a break, he's just a kid. Hopefully, our new coach won't stand for that kind of crap and will straighten the kid out.

As for TO, we won't have so much money tied up at QB. Also, we could have afforded Peerless, we just chose not to keep him. In hindsight it's obvious that we could have used another playmaker at receiver and I doubt that TD will make the same mistake twice. Regardless, I doubt that we end up with TO but it sure would be nice.

The_Philster
12-24-2003, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by Drewpac
How are we in good shape at TE? We have two slow plodders, one of which is at the end of his career(Moore). Campbell was a nice surprise but he's not a gamebreaker. Give Winslow a break, he's just a kid. Hopefully, our new coach won't stand for that kind of crap and will straighten the kid out.
We have an inept offensive coordinator who doesn't know how to utilze TEs. And no, I won't give Winslow a break. He's not "just a kid" He's old enough to play in college so he should be old enough not to make blatantly stupid statements.

Originally posted by Drewpac
As for TO, we won't have so much money tied up at QB. Also, we could have afforded Peerless, we just chose not to keep him. In hindsight it's obvious that we could have used another playmaker at receiver and I doubt that TD will make the same mistake twice. Regardless, I doubt that we end up with TO but it sure would be nice.

Yeah...ok...keep Peerless in exchange for what? Would you be willing to retain Eddie Robinson at WLB instead of bringing in TKO in excahnge for the salary cap room to keep Peerless?

Drewpac
12-24-2003, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by The_Philster

We have an inept offensive coordinator who doesn't know how to utilze TEs. And no, I won't give Winslow a break. He's not "just a kid" He's old enough to play in college so he should be old enough not to make blatantly stupid statements.

Yeah...ok...keep Peerless in exchange for what? Would you be willing to retain Eddie Robinson at WLB instead of bringing in TKO in excahnge for the salary cap room to keep Peerless?

I can't believe you would turn down a player because of one comment he made in the heat of the moment. Also, I don't know why everybody made such a big deal about his statements. The war analogy has been frequently used to describe the sport of football in the past so why is he getting so much flack? Also, it has become accepted in popular urban culture to refer to people as soldiers. It's really no different then calling someone a warrior on the field. It's an analogy. He's saying that he's tough and he will keep fighting no matter the circumstances. That's the type of player I want. Someone with some fire in his belly.

Actually, we could have signed both TKO and Peerless. However, if we had it may have cost us a chance at signing a combination of Milloy, Adams, Reese, or Shaw. You would probably have to delete any two from this list. I think in hindsight we wouldn't have a problem with say, not signing Milloy and Shaw but keeping Peerless. Also, there were plenty of other LB's available who were a significant upgrade over Robinson. One that comes to mind is Kevin Hardy in Cincinnatti. He has had a terrific season and I believe he came at a price that was significantly cheaper than TKO.

SABURZFAN
12-24-2003, 05:43 PM
Originally posted by stevo
You guys are failing to see the point that Drewpac made and that is that Bledsoe won't have the same contract going into next year. He has no options but to settle out his current contract and sign a new deal. If he doesn't he will be cut and will not fetch a whole lot on the open market. Give the Bills management some credit and assume that they will see this too.

Another thing is players at Bledsoe's stage of his career are filthy rich and are just as interested in winning as they are in money. The Bills give Bledsoe a good chance of winning. And don't tell me that he already has a Super Bowl ring, because you could see on his face at the end of SB 36 that it didn't mean a lot to him.

great post stevo.:up:

welcome to the Zone.