PDA

View Full Version : What the hell was TD thinking...

OpIv37
12-22-2003, 08:07 PM
giving Drew such a huge contract? We all know Drew isn't the "savior" some made him out to be, but in TD's defense he's not really as bad as he's played lately, he did have some success in NE and we were desperate for a QB after the RJ/Flutie fiasco.

Still, IMO Drew never did anything to warrant $13 MILLION a year, which is what it will cost to keep him next season. Is anyone in the league worth that much?

Now we're stuck- there's three possible scenarios:

1. Pay $13 million to a QB who obviously doesn't deserve that much
2. Cut Drew and start from scratch with a new QB, which means either an overpriced veteran like Brunell or an unproven young guy like Volek
3. Convince Drew to restructure his contract for far less (easier said than done). This will probably save the Bills some money but still result in Bledsoe being paid more than he's worth.

Personally I don't like any of these options. I'd like to see Drew get one more shot with a decent O line and an OC with some brains, but not for that much money. Six months ago TD seemed like a genious- now it's starting to look like he should be demoted to concession stand manager, although he'd probably spend too much on Pepsi and be forced to re-use paper cups to protect it.

HenryRules
12-22-2003, 08:16 PM
We never gave Drew this contract ... it was NE.

and unlike most contracts, it will not cost us anything to renegotiate with him - we owe no signing bonus at all.

Renegotiating with Drew is not going to be tough at all ... he has no bargaining chips whatsoever.

I don't see how you can say that Drew will be paid more than he's worth next year when his salary hasn't even been approached yet.

There's a lot of things that TD's done that I disagree with ... but you're blaming him for something that he's had no part in / hasn't settled yet. You can disagree with him making the trade, but don't blame him for the contract.

OpIv37
12-22-2003, 08:18 PM
Originally posted by HenryRules

There's a lot of things that TD's done that I disagree with ... but you're blaming him for something that he's had no part in / hasn't settled yet. You can disagree with him making the trade, but don't blame him for the contract.

Thanks for clearing that up- I didn't realize that Buffalo inherited the contract. And I don't disagree with the trade- we needed a QB and there wasn't much else available.

Dozerdog
12-22-2003, 08:52 PM
On paper- it was a great deal for the Bills- NE ate over 7 million in bonus money last season.

The 7 million poison pill to take effect in November was put in by Bledsoe's agent to force New England to make a decision (or renegotiate) in this offseason. Obviously they never saw the emergence of Brady or the trade.

It will be brought up in the offseason and taken care of.