PDA

View Full Version : After comparing #11's

northernbillfan
12-23-2003, 03:35 AM
I was thinking about the comparison between the two guys who wore #11 for the Bills in recent history. Watching RJ in action tonight was amusing at best, but he did okay considering the way Oakland is playing.

Comparing his numbers and Drew's numbers through their careers, I found it interesting that overall RJ is the better QB than Drew. But not by much, they are fairly even.

These stats are based on 126 starting games for Drew since '95 compared to RJ's 29.

RJ's overall completion percentage is 61.4% to Drew's 57.1%

Drew's QB rating was never above 90.0 and he has had 5 seasons below 80.0. Johnson on the other hand has had 4 sub 80.0 seasons, and 5 years above, with three of those in the hundreds, averaging 111.43.

When it comes to scrambling, RJ can move the ball downfield. He has 862 yards for an average of 6.2 yards per att. Drew has only rushed for 646 yards in four times as many games as Rob, with a pthetic 2.0 yds per att.

The bottom line: After looking at the two players on paper, and from what we've witnessed this season, Drew really isn't much of a saviour when RJ comes out looking better than him in the long run.

shelby
12-23-2003, 04:48 AM
That is a frightening analysis.
:cynic:

Who has been sacked more?
:tomato:

saviorbledsoe
12-23-2003, 06:44 AM
Yeah....but you all keep forgeting this .........

RJ HARDLY EVER PLAYED!!!!!!!!!!!!! ALWAYS HURT!!!!!!!!

Drew......played every game even when hurt.

RJ NEVER HAD A GOOD SEASON

Drew has been to the pro bowl like 4 times and has many records.

Come on guys. Cant a guy have a bad season? Who is to say we dont get o-line help next year and a speed reciever and Drews numbers go back up to pro bowl numbers?

Brian Griese Rulz
12-23-2003, 07:18 AM
Difference in sacks.....

Drew held onto the ball to long and stood there and took sacks.

RJ held onto the ball to long and ran into sacks.

Jan Reimers
12-23-2003, 07:22 AM
Again, to quote the great Mark Twain, "There are lies, damned lies, and statistics."

justasportsfan
12-23-2003, 07:28 AM
Originally posted by saviorbledsoe

Drew......played every game even when hurt.

RJ NEVER HAD A GOOD SEASON

Drew has been to the pro bowl like 4 times and has many records.

Come on guys. Cant a guy have a bad season? Who is to say we dont get o-line help next year and a speed reciever and Drews numbers go back up to pro bowl numbers?

1 1/2 bad season in 2 seasons that he's been here. Are you gonna waste 4 years just like we did with Rob? Don't worry Savior, your boy Drew isn't going anywhere.

I hope I eat crow when Drew wins us a SB. In the mean time he is being criticized for his performance the past 1 1/2 bad perfomance.

Stop living in the past. His prowbowls were mostly from NE. You're not a NE fan are you? If his prowbowls are so important, let's hire Montana next year. This guys has tons of sb rings.

Brian Griese Rulz
12-23-2003, 07:38 AM
6-10 should give us a shot at Eli Manning. But I think he will be a Raider.

THATHURMANATOR
12-23-2003, 09:15 AM
:puke:

THATHURMANATOR
12-23-2003, 11:05 AM
Horrible.

Bledsoe has over 30000 yards
Johnson blows

northernbillfan
12-23-2003, 11:07 AM

I broke down those stats based on an average per game played, and therefore it is an acurate comparison.

I was wary when the team first signed Drew, then became a supporter, I had to be, Bledsoe was leading our team. I just found it funny that Drew's carreer numbers are worse than RJ's.

Drewpac
12-23-2003, 01:01 PM
Overall, Bledsoe has had a much better and distinguished career than RJ. But as of now, I think it's safe to say that Bledsoe's skills have deteriorated to the point that he closely resembles RJ in play. You don't need stats to see that this is true. Bledsoe has lost his ability to read a defense, is completely immobile, and has become an erratic thrower. I have nothing against Drew personally, but at this point he is completely washed up. Sure, he's capable of playing above average once a month but I want a QB who is above average in at least 3/4 of his starts. And I'm not asking for a good or great QB. Just an average to above average QB.

BillsFever
12-23-2003, 02:11 PM
Seeing the Drew supporters even have to make an arguement and excuses as to why Drew is better then Rob should tell you all you need to know about Bledsoe.

BillsFever
12-23-2003, 02:15 PM
Oh yeah, and did you see the Packers blitzing the hell out of RJ when he came into the game last night? It wasn't the OL's fault that they blitz 8 guys every play. No OL can block 8 blitzers on just about every play. RJ will always be blitzed to death.

My fellow Zoners that is the same thing that happens to Drew whether you wanna admit or not. When Drew is in the game teams are gonna blitz the hell out of him because he has not shown he can beat it. Just like RJ, Bledsoe will always be blitzed to death.

Funny how a QB can make a line look better or worse then it is.

Unless you keep 8 guys in to block and send 2 out on a pass pattern Drew Bledsoe will never have any protection. The same as Rob Johnson.

Drew Bledsoe is a healthy Rob Johnson in this stage of his career. It's sad but it's the truth.

Novacane
12-23-2003, 02:16 PM

And who is to say we do get o-line help, and a speed reciever that his numbers will go back to pro-bowl numbers?

If we bring in a new OC, upgrade the OL, get a speed reciever and Drew still keeps throwing away games who are you going to blame next year??????????????????

BillsFever
12-23-2003, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by Fairway To Green
And who is to say we do get o-line help, and a speed reciever that his numbers will go back to pro-bowl numbers?

If we bring in a new OC, upgrade the OL, get a speed reciever and Drew still keeps throwing away games who are you going to blame next year??????????????????

That bad thing is people have been saying that for years about Bledsoe. It's just a big revolving door of OC's, offensive lineman, and WR's when Drew is the QB. None of them seem good enough because Bledsoe is still overrated and can't get the job done.

Tom Brady sure looked pretty good with the same OC, OL, and WR's that Drew had in New England.

Novacane
12-23-2003, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by BillsFever

Tom Brady sure looked pretty good with the same OC, OL, and WR's that Drew had in New England.

Thats for sure. It's time to get rid of him. We won't win anything until he's gone IMO.

BillsFever
12-23-2003, 02:35 PM
Thats for sure. It's time to get rid of him. We won't win anything until he's gone IMO.

That is a fact.

If Drew would've still been in New England they would have about 10 wins over the last two years and everybody would be saying they need a new OL, WR's, OC, and probably head coach by now.

Drew Bledsoe is a coach killer.

Novacane
12-23-2003, 02:40 PM
Fever.......................if you could ONLY get rid of 2 of the 3 among Bledsoe, Gilbride, and Greg who would you keep? I'd say GW!

SamAdamsFan
12-23-2003, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by northernbillfan
I was thinking about the comparison between the two guys who wore #11 for the Bills in recent history.

Another fairly recent player who wore #11 was Scott Norwood. We should just retire #11 just so no one else is cursed by it. (I wish the solution to our problems was this simple!)

northernbillfan
12-23-2003, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by SamAdamsFan
Another fairly recent player who wore #11 was Scott Norwood. We should just retire #11 just so no one else is cursed by it. (I wish the solution to our problems was this simple!)

:bf1: Well said.

BillsFever
12-23-2003, 03:04 PM
Fever.......................if you could ONLY get rid of 2 of the 3 among Bledsoe, Gilbride, and Greg who would you keep? I'd say GW!

I'd get rid of Drew and Gilbride. I don't think GW is great but he's not bad either. Drew and Gilbride makes him look worse then he really is.

Novacane
12-23-2003, 03:13 PM
I agree. I don't want Greg to stay but if he had not been saddled with KG and Drew he may have had a winning season and kept his job.

BillsFever
12-23-2003, 03:18 PM
I agree. I don't want Greg to stay but if he had not been saddled with KG and Drew he may have had a winning season and kept his job.

You can see it in his face over the last month he is sick to death of Drew Bledsoe. He knows he will be the fall guy for him.

You look at other teams with coaches that will be fired, or who are 6-9 and just about their entire team is in shambles. You look at our team and the only part of the team not really playing great is our passing game. If GW was that like some other coaches the entire team would look like crap. We get beat week after week because Drew Bledsoe can't make a play to save his life.

BillsFever
12-23-2003, 03:23 PM
Lets look at Drew Bledsoe's coaches over the years.

Parcells- The only coach he had some success with. Quincy Carter, Vinny Testeverde and Jeff Hostetler has had some success with him too.

Pete Carroll- Probably another fall guy for Drew Bledsoe. Carroll was considered a waste but now he looks like a pretty damn good coach at USC.

Bill Belichek- His teams looked like scrubs when Drew was there and were 5-13 while Drew was the QB for him. He dumps him and he hasn't lost 13 games in the 3 years without him.

No coach can help Drew Bledsoe be a good QB.

The_Philster
12-23-2003, 03:56 PM

Not to overly defend Bledsoe because he has struggled a lot but keep in mind they simplified the offensive system in New England for Brady

BillsFever
12-23-2003, 04:12 PM
Originally posted by The_Philster
Not to overly defend Bledsoe because he has struggled a lot but keep in mind they simplified the offensive system in New England for Brady

Umm, ok. So I guess it's Belicheks fault for not putting Drew in position to win? Excuses, excuses.

The_Philster
12-23-2003, 04:17 PM
Umm, ok. So I guess it's Belicheks fault for not putting Drew in position to win? Excuses, excuses.

I was just saying....
Good coaches tailor their systems to work with the talent they have. Drew had coaches who did that for him in New England..Brady has his current Offensive coordinator. Drew has Gilbride.

The Natrix
12-23-2003, 04:32 PM

I agree

Brian Griese Rulz
12-23-2003, 06:01 PM
Oakland used 3 QB's last night. Green Bay knew Oakland had to pass the rest of the game and the only 2 sacks GB had were on Johnson.

kgun12
12-23-2003, 07:56 PM
I put this on another thread, but it fits here also:

If his play lately isn't enough, Howard Simon last week did some checking. This is what he found out. Since Drew's been here his road record against teams with winning records at the END of the SEASON is 1-8. This was against the Dolphins last year when Ray Lucas thought Clemons was his primary target! In his career Drew's road record against teams with winning records at the END of the YEAR is 9-43. That alone says he is not the QB we need around here.

He can't win on the road, we can't be a playoff contender!!!

DREW MUST GO!!!

Ickybaluky
12-24-2003, 07:31 AM

Where did you get this information? It isn't true at all. The Pats gameplan differently based on opponent and available talent, but they didn't change their offense. Brady just executed better.

Keep in mind, both Bledsoe and Brady and the same time in the offense. Brady was drafted in 2000, the same year Belichick and Weis arrived. Brady lived at team headquarters the entire offseason before the Super Bowl year, and by the time the 2001 preseason rolled around Brady knew the offense better than Bledsoe. During that preseason, Brady would give Bledsoe tips on the offense, because he knew it better.

The Patriots give awards out to the top participants in their offseason program. Brady was named the top offseason participant prior to 2001. The fact is he was learning the offense and becoming a better QB while Bledsoe was vacationing in Montana. He knew the scheme better, and that is why he was better able to execute. There was nothing "scaled back".

The fact is, one area Brady has all over Bledsoe is preparation and work ethic. When Bledsoe was traded, he was asked if he thought he was a better QB than Brady. He didn't respond directly, but said he felt confident he was a capable QB. He also acknowledged that one area he never would be better than Brady was preparation.

You think Brady's success is an accident? The kid works his butt off.

The_Philster
12-24-2003, 08:42 AM
Just stuff I've heard...and all I meant was that they made it easier to understand

pats-were-right
12-24-2003, 10:58 AM
That bad thing is people have been saying that for years about Bledsoe. It's just a big revolving door of OC's, offensive lineman, and WR's when Drew is the QB. None of them seem good enough because Bledsoe is still overrated and can't get the job done.

Yes, excellent summary.

KG, while his competence is questionable, is the next fall guy. Don't you remember all the stories last year how a KG "throw it downfield" offense was perfect for Drew??? I do.

HenryRules
12-24-2003, 08:52 PM
Originally posted by pats-were-right

Yes, excellent summary.

KG, while his competence is questionable, is the next fall guy. Don't you remember all the stories last year how a KG "throw it downfield" offense was perfect for Drew??? I do.

That wasn't our offense at all this year. I doubt we made more than 1 deep pass a game this season.

Last year our offense was "throw it downfield" ... this year it was "throw 10-yard passes on every single offensive play". If other teams kept their DBs 12 yards off the line of scrimmage and their LBs 8 yards off - we'd have never gained a yard all year long.