PDA

View Full Version : Clayton said it's Fassel

Mr. Miyagi
12-23-2003, 07:59 AM
John Clayton just said on ESPN Radio this morning that it's likely going to be Jim Fassel going to Buffalo. He said Tom Coughlin is almost a lock to the Giants, so he's probably out for us.

But he also mentioned that Mike Holmgren could be a surprise firing out of Seattle. I would much rather see Holmgren in Buffalo than Fassel. Fassel has not impressed me with his career with the Giants. Even the year they went to the SuperBowl, they still weren't that good. They have weapons over there in NY: Collins, Barber, Toomer, Shockey, and the D is supposed to be quite decent. Yet he has not been able to do anything significant with them.

No thanks on Fassel please.

Tatonka
12-23-2003, 08:15 AM
fassel was in NY for how long? 7 years?

how many years out of that did they make the playoffs?

Tatonka
12-23-2003, 08:15 AM
that is a real question.. i dont know the answer.

Jan Reimers
12-23-2003, 08:18 AM
I don't like Fassel as much as some of the other candidates, but I'm not sold on Holmgren, either. What has he really done since leaving Green Bay?

With Coughlin apparently out of the running, I'm beginning to lean toward Jim Haslett.

LtBillsFan66
12-23-2003, 08:22 AM
Took over for Reeves after 1996 season.

1997 - 10-5-1 lost wildcard
1998 - 8-8 no playoffs
1999 - 7-9
2000 - 12-4 lost super bowl
2001 - 7-9
2002 - 10-6 lost wildcard
2003 - 4-11

justasportsfan
12-23-2003, 08:22 AM
Fassel will have offensive plays that will include the TE a a lot. If Fassel comes, maybe he'll bring his OL coach with him.Could be a good thing for Drew. We're stuck with him anyways so try to build a team around him.

LtBillsFan66
12-23-2003, 08:23 AM
Originally posted by Jan Reimers
With Coughlin apparently out of the running, I'm beginning to lean toward Jim Haslett.

I call Haslett Gregg South. He's done squat in New Orleans.

Patrick76777
12-23-2003, 08:23 AM
not bad! Wouldn't be the worst thing!

Patrick76777
12-23-2003, 08:24 AM
Originally posted by justasportsfan
Fassel will have offensive plays that will include the TE a a lot. If Fassel comes, maybe he'll bring his OL coach with him.Could be a good thing for Drew. We're stuck with him anyways so try to build a team around him.

Just as long as he doesn't bring his Special teams coach!

Ebenezer
12-23-2003, 08:24 AM
That's a way to piss in my rice crispies.

justasportsfan
12-23-2003, 08:25 AM
Anyone but GW. What's Fassel's offensive mentallity anyways. Is he a type of coach who could make use of the talent he has? I know Hasslet hasn't done that with NO.

saviorbledsoe
12-23-2003, 08:27 AM
I don't like Fassel as much as some of the other candidates, but I'm not sold on Holmgren, either. What has he really done since leaving Green Bay?

What has Hasslet done?????? EVER??????

lordofgun
12-23-2003, 08:28 AM
I like Fassel.

justasportsfan
12-23-2003, 08:29 AM
Originally posted by lordofgun
I like Fassel.

Levy likes the guy too.

Jan Reimers
12-23-2003, 08:31 AM
My main concern with Fassel is that his players have quit on him - they just mailed it in against us. That said, a half trained monkey would be preferable to GW.

lordofgun
12-23-2003, 08:35 AM
Originally posted by justasportsfan
Levy likes the guy too.

Yeah, me and Levy...we'z tight.

Tatonka
12-23-2003, 08:36 AM
fassel is used to having a drew like qb.. with collins.. he emphasizes the deep pass and is NOT known for his power running game.. but is maybe a bit more balanced than kevin killdrive...

i am indifferent about him.

also.. i wonder why his teams are so up and down? playoffs.. nothing, playoffs, nothing.. whats up with that.

clumping platelets
12-23-2003, 08:45 AM
Keep Gregg

TypicalBill
12-23-2003, 08:51 AM
The thing that concerns me about Holmgren is that he runs an offensive system thats very similar to a west coast offense.... he uses dump-offs and short passes all the time which isn't exactly Drew's strength... although he utilizes his RB's very well.

last year, the giants were awful on offense in the 1st half of the season but when Fassel took over the playcalling, they suddenly transformed into one of the top offensive teams and made the playoffs.

remember, the giants lost some key offensive lineman before the season and Shockey was banged up most of the year... Tiki puts the ball on the ground every other play doesn't help either.

if we emphasize the middle of our OL this offseason, get a fast WR and make Fassel call the plays, i think we'll do very well. We'll be one of the top teams in the league running the ball with Henry and McGahee. Also, with a good pass blocking OL and a fast WR, we'll be average at throwing the ball.

THATHURMANATOR
12-23-2003, 09:12 AM
Fassel is an improvement over Gregg but I think we can do better.

Mr. Miyagi
12-23-2003, 09:14 AM
Originally posted by TypicalBill
remember, the giants lost some key offensive lineman before the season and Shockey was banged up most of the year... Tiki puts the ball on the ground every other play doesn't help either.

Yeah, but he wasn't able to adapt to it with backup players like Bellichick was. Fassel would have similar problems with us too: We lost some OL.... Moulds was banged up...Henry put the ball on the ground...Fassel wouldn't do much better than GW in this situation.

TypicalBill
12-23-2003, 09:19 AM
Originally posted by Mr. Miyagi
Yeah, but he wasn't able to adapt to it with backup players like Bellichick was. Fassel would have similar problems with us too: We lost some OL.... Moulds was banged up...Henry put the ball on the ground...Fassel wouldn't do much better than GW in this situation.

yep, but you dont find great coaches whenever you want one.. they just dont get fired... id rather have someone with some head coaching experience and went to the playoffs... i want someone offensive minded too... Coughlin would be awesome but someone said he's a lock to go to the Giants so....

still personally, id take Fassel over Gregg ...

Mr. Miyagi
12-23-2003, 09:32 AM
I guess I wouldn't be terribly disappointed if they brought in Fassel. He's still an upgrade over GW, but we could do better.

I'm not too high on Haslett either. He hasn't done much with a potentially explosive NO offense (Brooks, Deuce, Horn, Stallworth). He's an underachiever in a big way.

Still hoping for Holmgren.

LtBillsFan66
12-23-2003, 09:33 AM
I'm all for Fassel.

stuckincincy
12-23-2003, 09:33 AM
I like Fassel. For one thing, he knows what 90% of the league's HC's know...how and when to run. In his NYG tenure, the Gints have in general been a competitive team. This season, of course, the wheels fell off, what with essentially losing the entire OL.

The Giant's defense under Fassel, if I recall correctly, has been in general a respectful one.

I don't think Giants losses thru his years are ANYWHERE near attributable to him as much as it is with our current TWIN TWINKIES.

Jan Reimers
12-23-2003, 09:35 AM
Originally posted by TypicalBill

if we emphasize the middle of our OL this offseason, get a fast WR and make Fassel call the plays, i think we'll do very well. We'll be one of the top teams in the league running the ball with Henry and McGahee. Also, with a good pass blocking OL and a fast WR, we'll be average at throwing the ball.

I don't disagree, but with a healthy McGahee running with TH, the addition of a speed receiver, and a beefed up interior O line, almost any candidate could make us better.

Mr. Miyagi
12-23-2003, 09:38 AM
Originally posted by stuckincincy
In his NYG tenure, the Gints have in general been a competitive team....The Giant's defense under Fassel, if I recall correctly, has been in general a respectful one.
That doesn't sound too uplifting. Competitive? Respectful? Those are words to describe mediocre teams. Is that all we want to be? Not me.

TypicalBill
12-23-2003, 09:39 AM
I don't disagree, but with a healthy McGahee running with TH, the addition of a speed receiver, and a beefed up interior O line, almost any candidate could make us better.

true true true ... cant wait for next season :drool:

any candidate but Gilbride :D

cordog
12-23-2003, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by saviorbledsoe
What has Hasslet done?????? EVER??????

Look at the A-holes on that team. Just a couple years ago they were goign around stealing from eachother, sleeping with eachothers wives, saying one teamates baby is actually anothers. How can you actually coach when you have all that crap going on. Plus if any of you have ever went to New Orleans you know as well as i do thats a distraction in itself

casdhf
12-23-2003, 11:12 AM
I don't care who the head coach is, the thing I really want to see is a new OC

don137
12-23-2003, 11:16 AM
I hope they get an offensive minded coach and leave for the most part the defensive coaches alone. I believe the QB coach for the Giants currently is Turk Schoenert who was the QB coach for Buffalo during the Flutie-Johnson years. Not sure if he would join Fassell. I personally am not impressed with him. I think Drew needs an excellent QB coach. Then again Beavis and Butthead could do better than KG as QB coach

BAM
12-23-2003, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by casdhf
I don't care who the head coach is, the thing I really want to see is a new OC

:up: :up:

fabolouspaul
12-23-2003, 01:11 PM
Dennis Green!

Historian
12-23-2003, 01:53 PM
Originally posted by clumping platelets
Keep Gregg

I just lost my lunch!

Fassel is okay, but we could do better. Count Holmgren out. He wants to run the whole show...coach...gm...trainer...etc...he doesn't fit into the Bills organizational chart unfortunately.

Mr. Miyagi
12-23-2003, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by Billsology
Fassel is okay, but we could do better. Count Holmgren out. He wants to run the whole show...coach...gm...trainer...etc...he doesn't fit into the Bills organizational chart unfortunately.
Holmgren did have GM responsibilities in Seattle before, but he gave that up. So no, he doesn't HAVE to have everything.

stuckincincy
12-23-2003, 02:54 PM

That doesn't sound too uplifting. Competitive? Respectful? Those are words to describe mediocre teams. Is that all we want to be? Not me.

Disagree. This is the age of player FA. Things come and go.

Being consistently competitive is rather hard to do these days.

STL went from 4-12 to SB in one year. NE went from whatever to SB in one year. Being consistently competitive sure does a lot for the fan base..see the bill's 4-year run at the SB.

Fassel's ok.He would be a plus. Understanding of course that my left toe would be an upgrade over gw/kg.

No coach is the Messiah...

STAMPY
12-23-2003, 03:24 PM
i've been asking for fassil for months!!! he's the fiery type of coach we need... he never makes up excuses and takes the blame... i think he'll do great here

Historian
12-23-2003, 04:32 PM

Holmgren did have GM responsibilities in Seattle before, but he gave that up. So no, he doesn't HAVE to have everything.

Only when forced to by the team due to its poor performance. He will go where he can have the most power, and that's not Buffalo, even though I personally love him as a coach. Look at his assistants that have succeeded as HCs...Gruden, Jauron, Sherman, the guy in Detroit, etc...

...and look where he got his training...on Bill Walsh's staff. Walsh learned the pro game from Paul Brown, who is thought to be the father of the modern game, with classroom work, film, etc...Other disciples of his include Don Shula and Chuck Noll.

I want a coach like this, with a pedigree. The apples usually don't fall far from the tree. You can trace the lineage of the best Coaches in Bills history. Lou Saban was a disciple of Paul Brown. (Captain of several of his AAFC Champion teams) and Marv was an assistant with the great George Allen. Knox was an assistant for Weeb Eubank in the AFL.

This is why I wanted Coughlin. He was a Tuna disciple. I think Tuna is the Lombardi or Shula of the modern era. All he and his assistants do is win.

Now look at Gregg. :flush:
He learned from Fisher, who was a disciple of Buddy Ryan, who never really won much of anything, despite working for Weeb in the AFL.

Dozerdog
12-23-2003, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by Tatonka
fassel is used to having a drew like qb.. with collins.. he emphasizes the deep pass and is NOT known for his power running game.. but is maybe a bit more balanced than kevin killdrive...

i am indifferent about him.

also.. i wonder why his teams are so up and down? playoffs.. nothing, playoffs, nothing.. whats up with that.

And in a weak division the past 5-6 seasons too.

Dozerdog
12-23-2003, 04:48 PM
Originally posted by Billsology
Only when forced to by the team due to its poor performance. He will go where he can have the most power, and that's not Buffalo, even though I personally love him as a coach. Look at his assistants that have succeeded as HCs...Gruden, Jauron, Sherman, the guy in Detroit, etc...

...and look where he got his training...on Bill Walsh's staff. Walsh learned the pro game from Paul Brown, who is thought to be the father of the modern game, with classroom work, film, etc...Other disciples of his include Don Shula and Chuck Noll.

I want a coach like this, with a pedigree. The apples usually don't fall far from the tree. You can trace the lineage of the best Coaches in Bills history. Lou Saban was a disciple of Paul Brown. (Captain of several of his AAFC Champion teams) and Marv was an assistant with the great George Allen. Knox was an assistant for Weeb Eubank in the AFL.

This is why I wanted Coughlin. He was a Tuna disciple. I think Tuna is the Lombardi or Shula of the modern era. All he and his assistants do is win.

Now look at Gregg. :flush:
He learned from Fisher, who was a disciple of Buddy Ryan, who never really won much of anything, despite working for Weeb in the AFL.

And do you know George Allen's Pettigree?

Defensive coordinator for George Halas

Brian Griese Rulz
12-23-2003, 05:18 PM
I'd rather have Fassell over Coughlin but i'd rather have Pete Carroll over Fassell.

Fassell has done less then Gregg has done with even more talented players.

Dozerdog
12-23-2003, 05:30 PM
So you want Pete Carroll over Coughlin ?

cordog
12-23-2003, 05:32 PM
Originally posted by Brian Griese Rulz
I'd rather have Fassell over Coughlin but i'd rather have Pete Carroll over Fassell.

Fassell has done less then Gregg has done with even more talented players.

Pete Carroll???? This guy has flunked as a HC for the Jets and Pats. He has no control over his players. I would rather have Gregg than Pete Carroll

Brian Griese Rulz
12-23-2003, 05:42 PM
Originally posted by Dozerdog
So you want Pete Carroll over Coughlin ?

Hell yes.

Brian Griese Rulz
12-23-2003, 05:44 PM
Originally posted by cordog

Pete Carroll???? This guy has flunked as a HC for the Jets and Pats. He has no control over his players. I would rather have Gregg than Pete Carroll

Gregg had talented players to work with. The Jets/NE teams sucked and it wasn't because of the coach.

baalworship
12-23-2003, 06:25 PM
Hiring Jim Fassel AND keeping Drew Bledsoe?! Is that like having your cake and eating it too?!

:hitself:

cordog
12-23-2003, 07:12 PM
Originally posted by Brian Griese Rulz
Gregg had talented players to work with. The Jets/NE teams sucked and it wasn't because of the coach.

Okay ill give you the Jets, but there is NO WAY you can say that NE had no talent. They just made the Super Bowl the year before he took over. They made the playoffs under him, but could never get passed the wildcard. The media in Boston was always *****ing about him because he had no balls to do anything. There is a reason he hasnt gotten an opportunity to get a head coaching job for 5 years

madness
12-23-2003, 10:04 PM
They have weapons over there in NY: Collins, Barber, Toomer, Shockey, and the D is supposed to be quite decent. Yet he has not been able to do anything significant with them.

No thanks on Fassel please.

roflmao...weapons? Not this year. Shockey missed half the season, Collins threw more picks than TD's and Ticki "fumbiliah" Barber?

Everything went wrong for the Giants this year. They were leading the league in first downs and most yards but were like last in scoring. I have a bunch of friends who are Giant fans and they love their coach. They all say it was the poor individual efforts put forth that cost Fassel his job.

And personally, I wouldn't touch Holmgren with a ten foot pole. He's a control freak. Wants to run the whole organization. He's still living off the Brett Farve hype.

Dozerdog
12-23-2003, 10:33 PM
Reeves as HC with Fassel as OC - leave the Defensive coaches in tact- I can live with that

helmetguy
12-23-2003, 10:38 PM
Originally posted by Dozerdog
Reeves as HC with bFassel as OC - leave the Defensive coaches in tact- I can live with that

Me too. But, then again, I'm not getting my hopes up. With all the expected vacancies at HC, Fassel would surely take one-if not in Buffalo, somewhere else-before he'd consider a gig as a coordinator.

Historian
12-24-2003, 05:25 AM
I posted this in another thread...Forget Pansey Pete. He insulted Ralph on 9/4/94, and would not be welcomed at 1BD.

stuckincincy
12-24-2003, 09:33 AM
Originally posted by madness23

roflmao...weapons? Not this year. Shockey missed half the season, Collins threw more picks than TD's and Ticki "fumbiliah" Barber?

Everything went wrong for the Giants this year. They were leading the league in first downs and most yards but were like last in scoring. I have a bunch of friends who are Giant fans and they love their coach. They all say it was the poor individual efforts put forth that cost Fassel his job.

And personally, I wouldn't touch Holmgren with a ten foot pole. He's a control freak. Wants to run the whole organization. He's still living off the Brett Farve hype.

I heard that Holmgren cut RB Amad (sp?) Green because Green has asthma, and holmgren said he couldn't play because of it.

madness
12-24-2003, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by stuckincincy

I heard that Holmgren cut RB Amad (sp?) Green because Green has asthma, and holmgren said he couldn't play because of it.

I believe it, look how he hyped up Kitna then left him out to dry. And now our should of been coach is using him wonderfully. 3400+ yards(7th in the NFL), 26 TDs(3rd), and Kitna's lowest INT total in five years.

Holmgen is just another Kevin Gilbride living on old hype.

Keep him out of Buffalo!

ublinkwescore
12-24-2003, 03:06 PM
I didn't read this thread beyond half of the second page, but did you guys forget about Dan Reeves?

he's got seriou playoff experience, every team that he's ever coached (except for maybe the Giants) has been to the playoffs - and some even to the superbowl.

Make no mistake, given our situation with Tom 'the Ego' Donahoe, Dan Reeves makes our best Coaching option - and if our D starts to stumble after Gregg is given the boot (and DL decides to call it a career), maybe we can get Gravystains back from Atlanta to right our D's ship.

Jeff1220
12-25-2003, 04:08 PM
1. Coughlin won't be in Buffalo.
2. Pete Carroll is a horrible Pro coach. Leave him in college where he belongs.
3. Get this one straight - Marvin Lewis is not a coach the Bills passed up. He did not want to be in Buffalo, and blasted the city after his visit. Therefore, he is not our should have been coach. F- him.
4. Fassel has said there is NO WAY he will be a coordinator again. He'd rather not work.
5. Reeves is not a bad option. He wouldn't even have been fired if his main weapon didn't go down in preseason.
6. This season sucked.

Ingtar33
12-27-2003, 12:19 AM
I'd rather not Fassel... his teams dominated the worse division in the nfl... over inflating his team's records, when he got to play against two bottom ten teams every year of his tenure (except this year).

Throw in the fact Fassel is as bad as KG when it comes to 3rd and 2 passing (he passes all the time in 3rd and 4th and 1), his teams are always bottom half in the league in special teams, and often are bottom half in penalties and turnovers (read that as meaning they are undisciplined), and you get the mental picture of a coach who pays zero attention to detail.

Tom Coughlin would be my choice, as his teams often sported strong special teams, and were usually top in the league in few penalties and best turnover percentage. (The best sign of a strong head couch with an attention to detail).

Holmgren, lest you all forget, benefited in Green Bay with a future HOF QB, and one of the finest GMs in football. At the same time he single-handedly lost a superbowl by forgetting how many time outs his team had, and letting TD score the game winning touchdown (he told the D to let him in, thinking his team was out of timouts, when they had 2 or something to that effect). He's done less than Denis Erickson did before him in seatle. Holmgren cut Green because Green was a perennial fumbler, and in his opinion would never be able to control that problem.

Pete Carroll will never coach in the NFL again, he loves the college game too much, and lets face it, he was a disaster in the NFL.

The_Philster
12-27-2003, 04:46 AM
Originally posted by Ingtar33
I'd rather not Fassel... his teams dominated the worse division in the nfl... over inflating his team's records, when he got to play against two bottom ten teams every year of his tenure (except this year).

Technically speaking, the worst division in the NFL is actually the AFC North(the Central before the re-alignment)

madness
12-27-2003, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by Ingtar33
Throw in the fact Fassel is as bad as KG when it comes to 3rd and 2 passing (he passes all the time in 3rd and 4th and 1), his teams are always bottom half in the league in special teams, and often are bottom half in penalties and turnovers (read that as meaning they are undisciplined), and you get the mental picture of a coach who pays zero attention to detail.

LOL Giving those facts...I'm changing my opinion. I don't want Fassel either.

The_Philster
12-27-2003, 12:02 PM
problem is, according to Mort on Countdown, he's got the inside track

madness
12-27-2003, 12:05 PM
I'm sick of having terrible special teams. In my opinion, Brown couldn't do anthing this year because of the horrible down field blocking.