Clear All
  • Ebenezer
    Give me a minute...
    • Jul 2002

Now this is a tribute to Van Miller!!!

Telephone calls for Van will sadly come to an end
    By STEVE LIPMAN

12/21/2003

The telephone company will lose some business after the end of the Bills season. I won't be making any more Van Miller calls.
    As any expatriate Buffalonian knows, maintaining your hometown ties is difficult, especially in the cultural miasma of New York City, where I have lived for 20 years. Upon moving to New York, in the middle of the football season, I immediately established a Sunday afternoon ritual. I conduct it about 16 times a year (more during the Bills playoff years).

Sometime during the second half of every game, my parents' phone in Tonawanda rings. "Hi," I say, dispensing with the small talk niceties, "please put Van on."

My mother knows to keep the radio tuned to the Bills' station. She places the radio near the phone, and I listen to Van. No matter if my folks are also watching the game on TV, no matter if - on infrequent Sundays - New York TV is carrying the game.

more

For all the education and practice each of us undergoes, the achievment of mastery is ultimately the outcome of a personal quest for understanding.
  • Patrick76777
    • Jul 2002

That's great!
    Resign our own guys!

Comment

• fushetti
      President of the Rick Jeanneret Fanclub
      • Feb 2003

Geez, what kinda long distance bills does this guy have? Too bad he doesn't have a radio affiliate there that covers Bills games. Here in Albany we have one thank goodness.

STEVIE, I HATE BEING AWAY FROM BUFFALO ALSO! hehe.
      "And I do have a wish, albeit one that cannot and will not be fulfilled. I wish... I wish that standing next to me right now, would be Ted Darling."
      Rick Jeanneret 4-14-96

Ted Darling "Voice of the Sabres"

Comment

Working...
      X