PDA

View Full Version : Do YOU want Bledsoe in Buffalo next year?

The Natrix
12-23-2003, 05:14 PM
I have never liked Bledsoe. I have always felt that he is the most overrated QB ever.

I wasn't excited in the least when the Bills aquired him although it was understandable that many were. After all, the Bills had some of the worst QBing after Jimbo's departure, and unlike this upcoming offseason, there were really no FA options who were even worth looking at besides Bledsoe and Blake.

So, I supported him, and was shocked when he was effective with a great WR corps in the first 8 games (of course, most of those 5 wins were just beating up on lower end teams). However, I was not surprised at all when he fell apart in the second half of the season.

Fast Forward to this season - he has done NOTHING. Yes, most QBs have down seasons, but at least they still have some good games here and there.

This offseason, there will be a number of decent to potentially great FA QBs out there. At the half way point this season I was thinking "Keep Bledsoe, but draft a QB within the first three rounds." Not anymore. I want to see Bledsoe and AVP cut, and a FA and a top five QB in the draft aquired. ANY qb in the draft is far from a sure thing, and even if he proves successful there is no way he is going to make an impact his rookie year. That is a huge problem since this team needs to focus on NEXT YEAR. A QB of the future is very important, but who knows how this team will look like in two or three years. Big Pat and Sam, Moulds and Milloy are not getting any younger. This thing has to happen next year or maybe following. After that, rebuilding must occur or else it will be the same as the late 90's: A "patchwork team."

Obviously the O-line has to be just about perfect in order for Drew Bledsoe to succeed. As ingtar stated, it is next to impossible to correct half a line in one offseaon, especially like a few other areas need to be addressed. Therefore, in my opinion the no brainer way to go is to get a QB who doesn't need a perfect O-line. This will allow money to flow to other needs.

My vote is no.

kgun12
12-23-2003, 05:43 PM
NO!!!

If his play lately isn't enough, Howard Simon last week did some checking. This is what he found out. Since Drew's been here his road record against teams with winning records at the END of the SEASON is 1-8. This was against the Dolphins last year when Ray Lucas thought Clemons was his primary target! In his career Drew's road record against teams with winning records at the END of the YEAR is 9-43. That alone says he is not the QB we need around here.

I would go after John Kitna or someone like him, draft our QB of the furture this year and go from there.

Bye bye Drew!

BillsFever
12-23-2003, 06:42 PM
Hell no.

Ebenezer
12-24-2003, 12:18 AM
I want to see what he does without KG.

Everybody wants to speculate but nobody has a real answer, I guess we can start down the road again..."If not Drew, who?" John Kitna is under contract next year...next.

The_Philster
12-24-2003, 05:53 AM
Originally posted by Ebenezer

Same here.

saviorbledsoe
12-24-2003, 06:20 AM
Yes. You people give up on players way too quick.

Brian Griese Rulz
12-24-2003, 06:31 AM
Give him 1 more year but draft Eli as his future replacement. If Drew Blowso blows in the first game next year, let Manning take over.

Tatonka
12-24-2003, 07:48 AM
no

Dozerdog
12-24-2003, 07:54 AM
I'll let the new coach decide

Patrick76777
12-24-2003, 08:10 AM
You're off your Rocker if you don't think he'll be back next year!

I know we could save 6M, but that won't play into it for 3 reasons!

1. TD will not give up on a Drew Bledsoe type player after one bad season. (I know everybody loves to talk about his final 8 games last year, but the fact of the matter is that he put up some sick numbers last year!). I don't think any NFL GM would cut Bledsoe after one bad year! A year when his OC sucked, his number 1 WR was hurt most of the year and his number 2 and 3 WR played like crap!

2. TD would never cut a number 1 draft pick after the second season! I know Drew was not a number 1 draft pick, but we spent a number one on him. Cutting him now would be wasting that pick without even giving it enough of a chance

3. TD's pride! I know many of you will not like this reason, but it's a valid point nonetheless! TD talked a big game and took a big chance, cutting him now, makes TD look bad.

Sorry, but that's how a GM will look at things! I've always said that football fans always hate the Coach and the QB! Well look at who everybody wants to get rid of? The Coach and the QB! It's really no surprise!

So although it will make for fun disscussion over the next 3 months, it's really not worth our time. Because I can tell you right now, that Drew Bledsoe, barring injury, will be our starting QB next September.

justasportsfan
12-24-2003, 08:15 AM
Drew isn't going anywhere. I would keep his current contract and pull a Greg Williams on him. If he doesn't perform at the early part of next season, don't even bother keeping him after November.

If incase Drew decides to quit with the next system thrown at him we need a qb who won't. We can draft one and keep Van Pelt. During GW's first year with Mike Shappards system, Van Pelt never quit on the system or his team.

Seems to me, some bills fans don't mind getting swept by the fins everytime Drew sucks against them. Of all the teams to suck against, he's gotta do it against the fins. :shakeno:

OpIv37
12-24-2003, 08:22 AM
I'd like to see Bledsoe back if we can do something about the 13 million. But I also agree that we should draft a QB for three reasons:

1. Bledsoe's getting up there in years
2. if he doesn't play well again next year we'll need a better back-up than AVP
3. Light a fire under his ass- look at the season Henry had this year, and I think a lot of it has to do with McGahee being on the roster. He was the ONLY productive player on our miserable offense.

Also, Bledsoe should be year-by-year at this point. He gets one more shot- no more multi-year deals a la RJ.

Patrick76777
12-24-2003, 08:24 AM
Well there's no doubt that we need a back-up on this team.

pats-were-right
12-24-2003, 08:42 AM

Yeah, we wanted to see how he did without Charlie Weis, then Larry Kennan, then Ernie Zampese, then Weis again.........

zone
12-24-2003, 08:48 AM
Yes.

I posted this already in another thread but here it is:

This year he has not played well, but look at his suroundings. The fact is that he has thrown for 2800 yards completed almost 60% of his passes, and 13 TD 11 thowing 2 rushing with a hurt eric moulds, a flukey reed, a slow bobby shaw, now what is a third string O-line, and an OC that works agianst him and the team rather than for them.

I think at least we should be happpy that this is as bad as it get for this team.

Yea he has had as many INT's as TD's and yes he has been sacked 46 times.

I am willing to have the surroundings fixed and see what happens, because I know if he had the surroundings he had last year when he threw for almost 4400 yards and 26 TD's (24 thorwing, 2 running) completing 61.5% of his passes and making the PRO BOWL all while being sacked 54 TIMES! That we would not be in the shape we are this year. Not with our D.

So I vote to get it fixed and see what he can do next year. Other than Manning, or Buldger there is not much out there in the way of FA.

justasportsfan
12-24-2003, 08:51 AM
My question to those who want to keep Drew is what kind of contract are you willing to give him? Are we gonna tie him up for another 3 years and if he stinks up the place , we eat up his cap nos. for the next 3 years?

zone
12-24-2003, 08:51 AM
Originally posted by Patrick76777
So although it will make for fun disscussion over the next 3 months, it's really not worth our time. Because I can tell you right now, that Drew Bledsoe, barring injury, will be our starting QB next September.

I agree.

Novacane
12-24-2003, 09:33 AM
Absolutely not...............although I do agree he will be back.

Throne Logic
12-24-2003, 10:04 AM
It's amazing how fast the loyalties swing back and forth around football teams.

Last off-season, I was saying that Bledsoe was not the end-all-be-all of QB's and that he had major limitations. However, in the properly system (namely one that supports an immobile QB) Drew could still be a very effective player. With all that said, I held the opinion that Drew would have a poor year because of the Offensive Coordinator / QB Coach, namely Kevin Gilbride, who I felt was not an effective coordinator. More to the point, I felt that he was the worst possible match to Bledsoe's abilities and weaknesses.

So, now that the season is coming to a close and all my fears have come to pass, I STILL hold the same opinion. Bledsoe can be an effective player for the Bills, assuming they hire an OC that can recongnize the strengths and weaknesses of the roster (of all the players, not just the QB) and work effectively with that information.

Bledsoe should and will be back. Kevin Gilbride should not be back. I will have to seriously question the wherewithal of the current Administration should Gilbride remain on the staff.

NC-BILLS44
12-24-2003, 10:13 AM
Keep Drew. Say goodbye to KG.

helmetguy
12-24-2003, 10:19 AM
Rework DB's contract, look for a possible replacement for the future, bolster the O-Line and, for God's sake, dispatch GW and KG at the earliest opportubity after Saturday (noting, of course TD will want to do a post mortem with the culprits first).

THenPitBull
12-24-2003, 10:44 AM
no

The Natrix
12-24-2003, 10:47 AM
He will be back next year and the Bills will be 8-8.

Drewpac
12-24-2003, 12:04 PM
No. If he starts all 16 games for us next year we won't win more than 7 games. I can't bear to see him in a Bills uniform any longer. There is talk that Jeff Garcia will be available in the offseason. I would take him in a heartbeat. Get Garcia (he's used to cold weather) and draft your QB of the future. Let Garcia start for two years and then plug in the youngster. Let Drew Bledsoe finish his career as Quincy Carter's backup in Dallas.

TigerJ
12-25-2003, 07:47 PM
I voted "no" but as always I'll support the team next year no matter what, once the decision is made. I expect the decision will be to retain him. I hope that he can do better with a different coordinator and the upgraded offensive line that Ralph Wilson promised.

Alluro
12-25-2003, 08:13 PM
You guys don't seem to realize that if the Bills want a shot at the superbowl, Bledsoe cannot be the team's qb. Bledsoe may in fact put up nice numbers again in the "right" system, i'll even give the drew supporters the benefit of the doubt and say everything will go right (new OC, new speedy WR, airtight OL going into next year) and we still will only be a playoff team. Bledsoe has never had one GOOD playoff game. His numbers in every playoff game he's been in have ranged from poor to just downright awful. The guy is one of the biggest choke artists in the entire league and always plays his worst when the games mean the most. If the rest of you want to mail in next year with another season of Dredsoe, you go right ahead supporting the guy. I would rather roll the dice on a young guy or veteran like brunell who we know won't kill the team in the most crucial of situations. Frankly, it's easier to replace the QB than to change the system, bring in another peerless caliber WR, and have an all-pro player at every position on the O-Line...I want to have hope that the Bills team I love has a shot at the superbowl. As long as drew bledsoe is the quarterback for my team, I know it will not happen. The sooner we let this overrated sack go, the sooner we will have a shot at football's ultimate prize. His salary alone is ridiculous for the production he gives us...does he deserve a 7 million dollar bonus if we keep him? TD should have has head examined if he brings this guy back.

The guy couldn't win in his prime with Parcells, a curtis martin in his prime, a ben coates in his prime, arguably terry glenn playing the best he's ever played, and a wonderful defensive cast..and yet we think with whatever retread we bring in that bledsoe will all of a sudden change his ways and become the "great" player he's been annointed to be since he was drafted. Bledsoe is a loser that plays with no emotion whatsover..is he the leader you want for the bills? the support he gets baffles me...stick a fork in him

The Natrix
12-26-2003, 02:45 AM
Originally posted by Alluro
Bledsoe plays with no emotion whatsover

Your right, he doesn't show a lot of emotion on the field.

However, I don't question the guys desire to win. He definitely has heart. Problem is I have no confidence in him to get the job done. Every time he drops back I am just waiting for something to go wrong. It is sickening.

The_Philster
12-26-2003, 03:48 AM
Originally posted by Alluro
The guy couldn't win in his prime with Parcells, a curtis martin in his prime, a ben coates in his prime, arguably terry glenn playing the best he's ever played, and a wonderful defensive cast

Damn..and here I thought he and the Pats made it to the Super Bowl against the Packers one year. :idunno:

kgun12
12-26-2003, 06:26 AM
Originally posted by kgun12
NO!!!

If his play lately isn't enough, Howard Simon last week did some checking. This is what he found out. Since Drew's been here his road record against teams with winning records at the END of the SEASON is 1-8. This was against the Dolphins last year when Ray Lucas thought Clemons was his primary target! In his career Drew's road record against teams with winning records at the END of the YEAR is 9-43. That alone says he is not the QB we need around here.

I would go after John Kitna or someone like him, draft our QB of the furture this year and go from there.

Bye bye Drew!

To the people that want him back think that he can turn his carrer road record around and all of a sudden start beating good teams on the road?

pats-were-right
12-26-2003, 08:10 AM
Let Drew Bledsoe finish his career as Quincy Carter's backup in Dallas.

Parcells won't want him...Bledsoe was one of the players holding the door open for him when he first made noise about leaving in '96. besides, Parcells knows football and knows Bledsoe may be the most overrated player this decade. That's a high priced backup.

saviorbledsoe
12-26-2003, 08:48 AM
Originally posted by kgun12

To the people that want him back think that he can turn his carrer road record around and all of a sudden start beating good teams on the road?

Thats all fine in theory except that playerS win games.. not QBs alone.

Novacane
12-26-2003, 08:58 AM
Originally posted by saviorbledsoe

True SB.......................but if all the other players execute and the QB does not.......................

kgun12
12-26-2003, 10:05 AM

This is true, but unless you can count on stable play from your QB it doesn't matter what the rest of the team does. We do have the #2 defense in the league. Less than 14 points a game. Drew should be able to engineer at least that many points per game.

Look at his record and stats over the last 8 game of last year and all but 3 game this year. N.E. was all emotion by the team. Jax. and Wash are bad teams that Drew look good, other than those games Drew play at or below average.

Drew must go!!!

justasportsfan
12-26-2003, 11:01 AM

Great point. This year it was players like Henry, entire D, Moorman, but not our 6 million Dollar man.

helmetguy
12-26-2003, 07:56 PM
Maybe if we would have used Henry more (especially in that God-forsaken "third down package" KG was so enamored with) the entire offens would have been more productive.

BuffaloBillsDan
12-26-2003, 10:12 PM
I vote yes.

We may as well keep Bledsoe to get knocked around while everyone learns a new offensive system and Reuben Browns replacement is learning the ropes.

The Natrix
01-25-2005, 08:55 PM
Anyone here change their mind?

Mr.Right
01-25-2005, 09:19 PM
As someone who HATES the Buffalo Bills....I would love to see Drew Bledsoe not only back with, BUT starting for that team again next season! :funny:

Billz_fan
01-25-2005, 09:36 PM
Anyone here change their mind?

Yeah, I did. I apparently voted on the poll but never posted. Im sure when this poll was posted I voted yes.

I would like to see Drew on the Bills next year as of now but I would like to see him in a diminished role backing up JP should JP win the job. I also think it's possible if JP starts and struggles Drew might just play really well after sitting for a spell. Kinda like he played when he first got here.

I just don't see us having a good season at all if Drew leaves and JP gets hurt early on if only even for a few games. We need the experience Drew has should something bad happen early on so we can at least salvage the season. Otherwise we are gonna have to import someone else for that role.

I like Drew but his best football is behind him and we need to see if JP is gonna be able to lead this team. Spending a #1 pick on this guy I don't want to see him setting on the bench for another full year and then finding out he isn't the answer.

I don't mind JP starting next year and struggling, it's a necessary part of his development. I don't even mind losing a few games we should have won with him starting. If he is gonna make it though we should also see him make some plays and win a game or 2 we shouldn't have.

What we have to see though is some flashes of great play mixed in with his struggles. If he flashes some brilliance along with some bonehead plays that he is bound to make we should be fine for the future :up:

We need a player at QB who is gonna make some plays that change the outcome of games. We are getting that from all other areas of the team. The defense, special teams, Willis all made plays this year that changed games. Drew made some plays that changes the outcome of games but it was for the other team :/

ScottLawrence
01-25-2005, 09:54 PM
He will be back next year and the Bills will be 8-8.

Damn your good. :bow:

The Natrix
01-25-2005, 09:59 PM
Damn your good. :bow:

Don't be silly Scott. They went 9-7.