X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • NC-BILLS44
    • Jul 2002

If not Drew, then who?

Personally, I think Drew will do better with an OC that commits to the running game and uses play action. This should put him in a better position to succeed. I'm not saying Drew is perfect, but I think, given the talent we have, a different approach would help immensely.

I'd like to hear other opinions on what QBs could replace him for next year and go to the playoffs, via free agency or draft.
  • Drewpac
    • Jul 2002

Good question. I'd say it would be worth it if we could get the following free agents/potential free agents: Bulger, Garcia, Brunell. Any of these three would immediately make us playoff contenders. Out of these three I prefer Garcia. I think he's has consistently played at the highest level of the three and he's got the best mobility considering our offensive line isn't the best in the league. I would be happy with Brunell as well but his play had begun to slip in Jax the past couple of years. Bulger is intriguing because he is much younger than the other two and you could build your team around him for many years. That being said, I don't think the Rams would let him get away after they invested this season with him.

Rookies: Regardless of the direction we choose this offseason (Bledsoe/FA), I believe it is essential that we draft a QB to groom for the future. I'm not sure who we can get at this point but I'm sure there will be some QB's available in the second round who will eventually be good enough to start and produce in the NFL. I don't want to see us trade up and grab the big name QB with no legitimate backup plan. We will not be a good team if we have Ben R. or Eli starting for us next season. We have too many good players in their prime for us to throw away two years to developing a rookie qb.

Comment

• TheGhostofJimKelly
      • May 2003

I think that the big issue is you can get someone here to do the same job and Bledsoe and it wouldn't cost you $6 mil.

Comment

• Buffatexas
        • Aug 2002

I say we take the Cincy approach and draft a QB, let him learn the system (providing we get a new OC) and take it from there. Bledsoe could be another Dilfer and let the rest of the team do the work and all he has to do is not make mistakes (scary thought)

Comment

• Alluro
          You Don't Stand a Chance !
          • Jul 2002

I say we go with Drew next year...

Drew Henson

Comment

• ublinkwescore
            Sab and TD are insignificant
            • Sep 2002

Ryan Dinwiddie is my choice for a groomer QB.

He's the anti Bledsoe - as far as mistakes go.

Not to mention that he played on a team full of whiteboys and still put up great numbers.
            www.gamersconspiracy.com - where gamers conspire

Comment

• SABURZFAN
              short bus extraordinaire
              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by ublinkwescore
              Ryan Dinwiddie is my choice for a groomer QB.
              this guy may go through the same things that flutie did in his career.
              Originally posted by yordad
              Christ, you are the queerest person in the history of Bills fanhood. I swear to god I would stomp you.

Comment

• JefftheBillsfan
                • Jul 2002

If only Drew could be another Dilfer. Problem is, Dilfer didnt do bonehead things like throw picks, or throw the ball away on 4th down, or absorb sacks. Dilfer could manage a football game. Ideally that is what we want Drew to do next year IMO. So why are we paying a QB 6+mill to not lose a game, and its not even like he can do that well.

If we are going to put up with rookie mistakes, let's at least have a rookie making them.
                Its all about the quest.

Comment

• HenryRules
                  • Jul 2002

I can see us having Bledsoe next year at a cap-hit in the 2.5 mil - 3 mil range. All the QB's mentioned will have similar cap hits and I'd rather have Drew here for that cost to maintain some sort of cohesiveness within the offense.

By the way, Bulger is one guy I really don't want. I think he's a combination flash-in-the-pan and product of the Rams offense. Anywhere else next year and his performance will be similar to Tommy Maddox's this year. Plus, I think Bulger will either have a huge cap hit or lengthy contract with a big SB - either way, it'll be too big of a commitment for a one-year starter for my liking.
                  Last edited by HenryRules; 12-24-2003, 10:18 PM.

Comment

• kgun12
                    • Jul 2002

The Bengals will have to get Palmer into their line-up next year. I don't think John Kitna will be happy as a back-up. I say we go after him, draft your furture QB this draft and groom him under Kitna.
                    Drew must GO!!!
                    Retired Air Traffic Controller
                    USAF VETERAN
                    DAV

Comment

• stuckincincy
                      Buffalo Bills Fan
                      • Sep 2003

Originally posted by kgun12
                      The Bengals will have to get Palmer into their line-up next year. I don't think John Kitna will be happy as a back-up. I say we go after him, draft your furture QB this draft and groom him under Kitna.
                      Drew must GO!!!
                      Kitna would be a plus. He's had a nice year, but I liked him last year as well when the B'gals went 2-14.

He's a very smart qb. His mobility is good; he rolls out when necessary, and when he runs, it's usually straight up the middle when a gap opens up - getting 8 to 10 yards or so, and a 1st down. Last year, he had 4 rushing td's, with only one of them a QB sneak.
                      Fiat justitia ruat caelum. Noli timere. Laus Deo.

Comment

• Drewpac
                        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by HenryRules
                        I can see us having Bledsoe next year at a cap-hit in the 2.5 mil - 3 mil range. All the QB's mentioned will have similar cap hits and I'd rather have Drew here for that cost to maintain some sort of cohesiveness within the offense.
                        Funniest quote I've read on this message board. I wouldn't necessarily call our offense very cohesive as it is. Also, we're bringing in a new offensive coordinator so they'll all be starting from scratch. Oh the things that Drewlovers will say to support their boy.

Comment

• HenryRules
                          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Drewpac

Funniest quote I've read on this message board. I wouldn't necessarily call our offense very cohesive as it is. Also, we're bringing in a new offensive coordinator so they'll all be starting from scratch. Oh the things that Drewlovers will say to support their boy.
                          Call me a Drew-lover if that's what you think I am ... I have no problem saying that he's played bad this year and that I don't think he's a premier QB.

I don't think our offense currently has a lot of cohesiveness ... that's one of the problems I'd like the Bills to address. You don't get cohesiveness immediately, it's something that's developed over time. The longer players stay and grow together, the more cohesive they will be. This year, we had new starters at: TE, WR (#2 and #3 were both new in their roles), RG, FB. That's almost half the offensive positions. For once, I'd like us to keep the same players for a little while and only make changes if they're a significant upgrade. Sorry, but I don't see Brunell, Garcia, or some of the other names as a significant upgrade (a couple of years ago, yes, but not now). If we keep turning over at every position, we'll never have cohesiveness.

Comment

• Ingtar33
                            Dances With Buffaloes
                            • Sep 2002

Garcia is a product of the WCO, and would fail in any other system (terrible arm strength, bad accuracy)

Bulger has looked awful this year, heck, he looked terrible last year, the only difference between him and Warner is he's not getting sacked and fumbling like Warner was, otherwise, he's just a mediocre QB surrounded with more offensive talent than any three teams can sport.

Brunell would actually make sense if we were keeping KG, but in reality, he's a WCO QB, and unless we're going back to the WCO, he'd be a disaster (i see little difference between Brunell and Bledsoe right now).

No Rookie will be able to step in and lead us to the playoffs, so we're not getting th guy from the draft.
                            My wife told me that if I had a dollar for every girl who found me unattractive, girls would find me VERY attractive.

MY WIFE SAID THAT!!!

Comment

• bernielivsey_1
                              • Jul 2003

Cut Drew
                              Sign Brunell
                              Draft for future
                              Throw in Terell Owens just for fun.
                              In Marv We Trust
                              The Past Is Now The Future

Comment

Working...