PDA

View Full Version : Stability

HenryRules
12-24-2003, 09:02 PM
The one thing I notice about a lot of the teams making the postseason this year, and in past years, is their level of stability - even in the free agency era.

However, when I look at the Bills, it's been filled with turmoil in the last 3 years.

First year, understandably, we gutted the entire team including coaching staff.

Second year, I think we had a new LT, C, RG, RT, QB. On defense, we had 2 new LBs, a new DE, and a new FS. We also had a new OC on offense.

This season, we had a new RG, TE, FB, WR on offense. And on defense, we had 2 new LBs, a DT, DE, and a SS. We also played a significantly different style of defense and added new OL, QB, and DL coaches (plus I think a new RB coach, but I'm not sure).

It's gotten to the point that our longest-serving players have 2 years experience with the team at their position. And once again, it looks like we're going to be revamping our offense, with possibly new: WR, RG, C, and one or two other changes (QB, LG, TE, ?). And on defense we're looking at new: DE, CB, FS.

Keep in mind, it's not like we're just having trouble filling one spot, it looks like since the new administration came on, we've had least 2 different starters at each position.

In a team sport like football, where cohesion and teamwork are very important, I think this amount of turnover is limiting the team's performance. Yes, it's nice to know that TD is willing to fix things when they're broke, but there's also something to be said for doing it once and doing it right.

stuckincincy
12-25-2003, 03:01 PM
Excellent observation.

shelby
12-25-2003, 03:06 PM
That is a very valid point. Part of my frustration this season has been the fact that we have so much talent and yet aren't able to produce enough offense to outscore our opponents.
:madcurse:

Jan Reimers
12-27-2003, 04:56 AM
I don't think it's player turnover so much as inept coaches who won't, or can't, design systems to utilize the strengths we have while minimizing the weaknesses.

Just look at what Belichick does with his talent.

bernielivsey_1
12-27-2003, 05:05 AM
I remember saying this 17 weeks ago.....................................................Run the BALL
O line thrives on it.
Drew cant hurt us as much.
D gets more rest.
Williams keeps his job.
BUT what do I know.

shelby
12-27-2003, 06:56 AM
More than KG and GW, evidently.:D