PDA

View Full Version : Draft position!

Patrick76777
12-26-2003, 11:24 AM
Because we far and away had the toughest Schedule in the NFL this year, we will lose every single draft tie- breaker. That sucks.

It looks like we may be drafting at 13. We can only move up 2 spots. If we lose and Pittsburgh and or the Jets win. (we move up one spot for each loss, assuming we lose!

We can fall up to 4 spots. We’d slip to 17 with a win and a Chicago, SF, NO and Tampa Bay loss (we move down 1 spot for each loss, assuming we win.

Novacane
12-26-2003, 11:30 AM
Go Jets
Go Steelers
Go Pats

TigerJ
12-26-2003, 11:54 AM
Yup. I've seen some yahoos predicting Buffalo could rise to as high as the eighth spot in the draft. I've been setting them straight whenever I hear that. I don't see the Bills, Jets or Steelers winning this weekend, so I think we'll end up right where we are this moment. At least we won't end up tied with the same record as 5 other teams the way things looked a few weeks ago. It just would have felt a lot worse in a 6 way tie and picking last in the group because we were so "fortunate" to play such good teams this year. A three way tie isn't so bad.

don137
12-26-2003, 01:01 PM
That is amazing that a 7-9 team could draft 17th. Last year a 7-9 record had a top 10 draft spot...What a difference a year makes...

Novacane
12-26-2003, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by don137
That is amazing that a 7-9 team could draft 17th. Last year a 7-9 record had a top 10 draft spot...What a difference a year makes...

Yep......................we picked a bad year to go 6-10

stuckincincy
12-26-2003, 01:20 PM
If they don't go for the OL or CB positions, they're sunk. Myself, I'd resign Winfield and make 'em a FS.

TigerJ
12-26-2003, 04:47 PM
So, what offensive lineman do you think will be available in the 13th spot, cincy? Personally, I suspect both Gallery and Andrews could be gone by then. A CB probably will be available who would represent good value there.

stuckincincy
12-26-2003, 04:51 PM
Originally posted by TigerJ
So, what offensive lineman do you think will be available in the 13th spot, cincy? Personally, I suspect both Gallery and Andrews could be gone by then. A CB probably will be available who would represent good value there.

Sorry, :idunno:

I don't get into "draft mode" till about February. Then I study it like h*ll!!! :D

ryguy8161
12-26-2003, 04:53 PM
I'd have to say to get the best value for the Bills draft position this year, they'd have to go WR.

mybills
12-26-2003, 07:05 PM
As far as I know with AVP leaving and Drew slacking, nobody needs a QB as bad as the Bills, so wouldn't it be ok for us at any pick, since the other teams would be picking other positions? :idunno:

TigerJ
12-26-2003, 07:36 PM
I agree that the Bills need a QB. At the moment the Bills seem committed to Drew for next season though. That means they would not necessarily looking for a QB to start for them next year. For that reason I don't particularly look for the Bills to draft QB in round one. I especially don't look for Buffalo to trade up so they can draft Roethlisberger or Manning. The two of them will be gone in the top five IMO. If one of them does drop, someone has suggested The Steelers would be likely to pick him just ahead of the Bills. I do think the Bills will try to find a serviceable QB in free agency and/or draft one in the middle rounds.

Dozerdog
12-26-2003, 11:11 PM
I will say this- drafting 17th this season is better than drafting 12th last season- way more talent.

We have to climb in front of Pittsburgh- they have nearly identical needs (outside of RB maybe)

Ingtar33
12-27-2003, 12:31 AM
only two QBs are truly worth a top 20 pick...

my money is on one of two players from Miami... Winslow or Taylor... I have a sneaking suspicion that Taylor will fall this far due to a disappointing 40 time (he's never had blazing speed, and on the field he doesn't look like he has 4.2 speed, more like 4.48-4.58)... a very good pickup at 11-13 would be either of them.

There might be an outside shot at one of the Williams at WR… if Roy is still about I’d have problems believing TD could pass on him.

In this whole draft, I think Will Smith is about the only other D player the Bills would consider at 11-13 (other than Taylor)

I think QB would be something we'd adress in the 2nd or 3rd round... someone like Clausen would be a fantastic value in the 3rd or 4th.

clumping platelets
12-27-2003, 07:06 AM
What about Matt Schaub from Virginia?

Jan Reimers
12-27-2003, 07:16 AM
Originally posted by clumping platelets

I think he is the best QB in this draft not named Manning or Roethlisberger.

SABURZFAN
12-27-2003, 08:07 AM
we should trade down and get an extra pick.

Novacane
12-27-2003, 09:00 AM
Originally posted by SABURZFAN
we should trade down and get an extra pick.

All depends on who is already gone. If Smith, Taylor or Williams was still there than I'd stay and pick them. If winslow was the best choice I'd agree to trade down. If they want a tight end they could drop down and still get Troupe. I like him better than Winslow.

Dozerdog
12-27-2003, 10:53 AM
This Ruben Brown horse**** really throws a wrench into the draft.

You go from an (abeit questionable) All- Pro to a hole to fill. You can't just take his cap savings (there is none) to replace him.

1) We GOT TO trade Ruben instead of cutting him- we need a pick in the 3rd rd to get a replacement. Or (gulp) bring his sorry ass back. Otherwise, forget about upgrading another need position like DE.

Ingtar33
12-27-2003, 07:07 PM
Originally posted by clumping platelets

I'm not sure why but i've never been a huge fan of him... something strikes me wrong about him... maybe its i've never been a huge fan of his descision making. A coach once told me that certain people, no matter how good, sometimes hit a wall at a certain level of play, I certainly hit it in college, going from a highly recreated RB to a bench warming QB, and for some reason many college stars hit that limit while going into the NFL. Ryan Leaf sure did… I have a sneaking suspicion about Eli Manning… and Matt Schaub as well.

Just a gut feeling really… though ive been right more often than wrong with them (like with Ryan Leaf).

mybills
12-27-2003, 07:16 PM
Ing - are you saying Eli is not a good pick?

Devin
12-27-2003, 07:29 PM
Trade Magahee/Brown/1st pick to move up and grab one of those precious QB's.

There is an abundance of CB/WR/OL in free agency.

Tha End.

Ingtar33
12-27-2003, 07:47 PM
im not sure mybills... i get the same feeling with Eli i got with Ryan Leaf... Joey Harrington... Carson Palmer... Akili Smith... just a feeling. At least with some of those folks i had some rational reason to back it up, but if you see my draft notes from two years ago, i thought Patrick Ramsey was a better QB than Harrington, and that all three of the first round picks that year (Caar, Harrington, Ramsey) were late first, mid second round talent, and sort of hit and miss QBs.

In fact i made a point that none of them were as good as Vick or Pennington (the only two 1st round QBs chosen in the two previous drafts) or as good as that Junior from Marshal, Byron Leftwich.

BTW: what you don't see here are my colossal misjudgments... I thought Jason Gesser would make a fantastic 2nd day selection (he went undrafted and is the 3rd string QB in Tenn)... i thought Josh McCown would make a solid NFL QB and that Anquan Boldin would never be a solid NFL WR (ouch that one pains me to admit, but me the king of ignoring physical numbers, got hoodwinked by 4.8 40 times)

Ingtar33
12-27-2003, 07:55 PM
I wouldn't trade McGahee...

I'd trade Henry long before I'd trade McGahee... Simple fact is this, 1000 yard runners in the NFL are a dime a dozen, Henry isn't a game breaker, or very good for ball control, or a good receiver, Henry has 1 more year on a very salary cap friendly deal (making him easy to trade), and we have close to a sure thing waiting behind him.

His value will never be higher than it is now, and i have little doubt we could get either a 1st and 2nd this year or a 1st this year and a 1st next year for him...

Top it all off with the fact he still fumbles, can't catch, and is always injured (remember his rookie year), and i think we'd be foolish not to move him now.

eyedog
12-27-2003, 08:06 PM
Ingtar, what team do you scout for ?
Speed is important, but not everything. I know that Larry Fitzgerald and Sean Tatlor are not burners, but they will both be pro bowlers someday soon.
Ben Roeth. will be the best NFL qb and is the only guy I would want the Bills to trade up for.
What are your opinions on these players ?

Ingtar33
12-27-2003, 08:25 PM
yeah... i know speed isn't everything... but it can help (andre johnson comes to mind).

Fitzgerald will be a fantastic pro WR... and Sean Taylor may not have 4.3 speed, but he's always around the ball, which is what matters in the end. In all honesty, this year has to be the best LB, WR, RB, and QB draft i've seen in a while. Deep and strong across the board this year, to make up for last year's joke of a draft.

Ben, well he should be the best QB in he draft this year, however he doesn't hold the draft grades i gave Byron Leftwich (then again no-one has, as when i looked back over my draft notes ive found i never graded a prospect at QB as high as Leftwich... not even Payton Manning, D.McNabb or Michael Vick got his grades... though Manning and Vick both were close... Vick was hurt by a hitch in his delivery, and his mediocre accuracy, and Manning was hurt by a weak throwing arm)

mybills
12-27-2003, 10:32 PM
I'm sure a lot of people are depending on your opinion Ing, but as you said..they could be hit or miss. I liked Harrington over Carr for example, but I don't think either fit what they ended up with. As for TH, I like what I see. He plays his heart out and carried this sorry team for most of the season. WM on the other hand, I haven't seen...at all. Can you or anyone else tell me what's so special about this guy that would warrant trading Henry? :scratch:

TigerJ
12-27-2003, 10:49 PM
A safety needs 4.3 speed a lot less than a CB does, and most CBs run around a 4.45-4.5 anyway. I wouldn't mind a Sean Taylor who runs a 4.5.

HenryRules
12-27-2003, 10:53 PM
I like Henry, but agree with Ingtar that the time is now to trade him. Although he is looking solid, he's still no better than the 6th best RB in the AFC and if you're not better than the other team's player at your position, you're a weakness for your team. Also, I don't know if it's just our coaching staff's incompetence, but they have decided that Henry is not an everydown back ... if we can get more than a 1st for a 2-down back, then I say it must be done.

Because we stubbornly decided not to play McGahee at the end of the season, his marketability is no higher than it was when we drafted him so trading him is pretty much out of the question.

mybills
12-27-2003, 11:36 PM
HR, thanks for answering my question..i think..

I have to disagree with you on their decision to not play WM this year. Of all the things I've heard & read about his injury, I think it was the smartest thing they've done all season not allowing him on the field. He needs to be fully recouped...it was a 2 year injury. You don't want to put him out there before he's ready.

Bert102176
12-28-2003, 12:54 AM
HR to get rid of Henry is stupid heck the guy is out there on basically a broken leg of course he won't play every down, I say the only way you trade Henry is if you get a early 1st rounder for him.

HenryRules
12-28-2003, 07:26 AM
I was only saying to trade Henry if we get more than a 1st (and I meant significantly more ... a 1st and 7th I wouldn't deal him for). If we get offered something like a 2nd for him, then no trade.

And from what I know (albeit limited, I'm not a doc, but have some 3rd party experience with these things) - the majority of the comeback from McGahee's injury is mental - hell, he's already been cleared by doctors to play for about a month or so now. He needs to be out and playing to get over the mental aspect of the injury.

HenryRules
12-28-2003, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by Bert102176
HR to get rid of Henry is stupid heck the guy is out there on basically a broken leg of course he won't play every down, I say the only way you trade Henry is if you get a early 1st rounder for him.

Henry wasn't a 3-down back all season and hasn't been in his time with the Bills ... the injuries have nothing to do with it.

MTBillsFan
12-28-2003, 04:00 PM
Probably Winslow will be around in our position in the first round and how about Philip Rivers from NC State in the 2nd round? assuming he's still there

DraftBoy
12-28-2003, 05:04 PM
I wouldnt look for us to make a move on any QB in ronuds 1 or 2. Id aim my sights lower like on Harris, or Kent. I agree w/ Ignstar about Schaub the kid just doesnt look like he can hack it. The ACC is not the confrence it will be next year or the year after. Rivers it he real deal but he looks to have played himself right out of our grasps. I really like Kent as a early day 2 sleeper.

Tatonka
12-29-2003, 08:20 AM
rivers could still drop in the combine if he doesnt perform great.. (even though we have all seen what he can do on the field, which is all that matters)...

1st - taylor, 2nd - Lavalais (may have to make that carey, the G from miami, depending on the rivers situation), 3rd - lavalais, carey or rivers.. if any of them are left... which could definately happen, that one of them falls. it happens every year as more juniors declare.

Alluro
12-29-2003, 08:31 AM
I really believe we should trade henry and our first to move up in the draft and get another teams second round pick. then we can take a back in the 2nd round to replace henry with that pick if TD doesn't think mcgahee is back. If not, we could use it to fill one of our other glaring needs. The team really needs to after winslow..I've seen some scouting reports calling him the greatest prospect at TE maybe ever. IF we could get him, in the same offense with McGahee, Moulds, Reed, and maybe another drafted or FA WR, we would be golden on offense....another possibility for QB is drew henson who will be back in the draft after a 2 year experiment with baseball. Most scouts agree he would have been picked ahead of both carr and harrington had he been in the draft that year and started over brady at michigan. If we can't get big ben or eli, i think drew henson would be the guy to grab.

That way..we'd have a lineup of

Henson
McGahee
Moulds
Reed
FA/Pick
Winslow

that's an exciting team on paper...even if we decide to hang onto dredsoe for another year (and i'm praying we don't), having a TE like winslow around may make him similarly effective as he was when he had ben coates as a safety net. It's a win win situation, but the entire team is dependent on the drafting of winslow...especially if fassel becomes the coach, he traded up to get shockey, i'm sure he wants a premier TE for the offense he wants to run

Tatonka
12-29-2003, 08:38 AM
no fassel.

i am indifferent on Winslow... i have watched alot of miami games.. i still think shockey was/is a better prospect and player...

i am not real sold on winslows attitude either.

my heart of hearts tells me that if we drafted a TE in the first round.. i would be disappointed.

Earthquake Enyart
12-29-2003, 09:35 AM
Originally posted by Ingtar33
im not sure mybills... i get the same feeling with Eli i got with Ryan Leaf... Joey Harrington... Carson Palmer... Akili Smith... just a feeling. At least with some of those folks i had some rational reason to back it up, but if you see my draft notes from two years ago, i thought Patrick Ramsey was a better QB than Harrington, and that all three of the first round picks that year (Caar, Harrington, Ramsey) were late first, mid second round talent, and sort of hit and miss QBs.

In fact i made a point that none of them were as good as Vick or Pennington (the only two 1st round QBs chosen in the two previous drafts) or as good as that Junior from Marshal, Byron Leftwich.

BTW: what you don't see here are my colossal misjudgments... I thought Jason Gesser would make a fantastic 2nd day selection (he went undrafted and is the 3rd string QB in Tenn)... i thought Josh McCown would make a solid NFL QB and that Anquan Boldin would never be a solid NFL WR (ouch that one pains me to admit, but me the king of ignoring physical numbers, got hoodwinked by 4.8 40 times)

I like Harrington and Carr. But then again, I liked Seneca Wallace and that kid from Iowa last year. But I didn't have access to their wonderlic scores (both are about as sharp as a doorknob) :cynic:

I think people are gonna get steals in rounds 2-4 with that Bowling Green kid and Navarre.

Originally posted by Ingtar33
I wouldn't trade McGahee...

I'd trade Henry long before I'd trade McGahee... Simple fact is this, 1000 yard runners in the NFL are a dime a dozen, Henry isn't a game breaker, or very good for ball control, or a good receiver, Henry has 1 more year on a very salary cap friendly deal (making him easy to trade), and we have close to a sure thing waiting behind him.

His value will never be higher than it is now, and i have little doubt we could get either a 1st and 2nd this year or a 1st this year and a 1st next year for him...

Top it all off with the fact he still fumbles, can't catch, and is always injured (remember his rookie year), and i think we'd be foolish not to move him now.

I agree 100 %. Henry can't catch.

McClane
12-29-2003, 04:26 PM
Official Draft Order:

1. San Diego
2. Oakland
3. Arizona
4. NYG
5. Washington
6. Detroit
7. Atlanta
8. Cleveland
9. Jacksonville
10. Houston
11. Pittsburgh
12. NYJ
13. Buffalo
14. Chicago
15. Tampa Bay
16. San Fran
17. Cincinnati
18. New Orleans
19. Minnesota
20. Miami

don137
12-29-2003, 04:45 PM
That sure is nice to see Miami not make the playoffs and only get the 20th pick...

Bert102176
12-29-2003, 05:33 PM
I wanted Ramsey them #&^#%#@$@%@% Redskins

The_Philster
12-29-2003, 06:44 PM
Originally posted by Bert102176
I wanted Ramsey them #&^#%#@$@%@% Redskins

So did I :chuckle: