X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TigerJ
    • Jul 2002

Ruben Brown update

I didn't catch the whole thing, but the sports news on WIVB made me think that Ruben Brown might have played his last game in a Bills uniform. He has not practiced all this week due to "personal reasons" and is not expected to play the game tomorrow. He has not officially been suspended though. It is known that he is very down on the whole season (Like we aren't?), and of course there is that Ruben Brown quote floating around that sort of sounded like he wasn't going to be back.

Put it all together and it sounds to me like the Ruben Brown era at left guard is over. I don't know all the cap implications, but I think Ruben's departure is a net positive for the 2004 cap picture.

The question is who do we get to replace him? We're already talking about upgrading the other two interior line positions. Three positions is too much to do in the draft alone. TD is going to need to look into veteran free agent guards.

Feel free to remind us of cap implications, Eb or Clumpy.

If anyone wants to suggest a good free agent guard pickup, this is a good time to do it.
    I've made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts.

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.
  • Dozerdog
    In a jar, on a shelf, next to the unopened Miracle Whip.

Administrator Emeritus
    • Jul 2002

Stay or go, the cap impact is the same (per previous posts by Clump & Eb)

Comment

• Michael82
      • Jul 2002

Comment

• Dozerdog
        In a jar, on a shelf, next to the unopened Miracle Whip.

Administrator Emeritus
        • Jul 2002

Mikey- please put this on the front page- thanks

Comment

• eyedog
          • Jul 2002

Good i'm glad he's gone. He not only sucks but he is a quiter and a crybaby. The raiders and their over the hill gang will be perfect for him.

Comment

• Jan Reimers
            Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
            • May 2003

Originally posted by TigerJ

Put it all together and it sounds to me like the Ruben Brown era at left guard is over.
            It's just officially over. Ruben has been living on his reputation for a long time. We will be much better off without his mindless penalties and his "Lookout Drew!" blocks.
            Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• shelby
              The Vanilla admin
              • Jul 2002

It boggled my mind that he made the Pro Bowl. He was good for at least one holding penalty per game.

i'm curious as to why he is sitting out the last game. If it is due to frustration over a losing season and the desire to play for another team, that is lame. Sitting out the last game is like a three year old taking his toys and going home after an argument.

Comment

• don137
                • Jul 2002

Maybe there is more to it than meets the eye but on the surface it sure looks like he is a quitter...

Comment

• SABURZFAN
                  short bus extraordinaire
                  • Jul 2002

r.brown is an All-Pro.....an All-Pro QUITTER!!!!!!!!!
                  Originally posted by yordad
                  Christ, you are the queerest person in the history of Bills fanhood. I swear to god I would stomp you.

Comment

• Jan Reimers
                    Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
                    • May 2003

Would anyone want him back after this? With all the money he's making, and the (undeserved) Pro Bowl recognition, you would think that the big baby would have enough pride and integrity to go out and play.

I wouldn't have this classless quitter back under any circumstances.
                    Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• Ebenezer
                      Give me a minute...
                      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by TigerJ
                      Feel free to remind us of cap implications, Eb or Clumpy.
                      Originally posted by Dozerdog
                      Stay or go, the cap impact is the same (per previous posts by Clump & Eb)

I believe the cap implications are a savings of $36,000...give or take a few...in other words...if he is going to count (roughly) $4 mil against the cap wouldn't it be better that he actually be here?? As we always do...name the replacement??

For all the education and practice each of us undergoes, the achievment of mastery is ultimately the outcome of a personal quest for understanding.

Comment

• lordofgun
                        in charge of you

Administrator Emeritus
                        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Ebenezer
                        I believe the cap implications are a savings of $36,000...give or take a few...in other words...if he is going to count (roughly) $4 mil against the cap wouldn't it be better that he actually be here?? As we always do...name the replacement??
                        I agree. If all we're saving is $36K, keep him as a backup at least.

<a href="http://www.buzzdash.com/index.php?page=buzzbite&amp;BB_id=119588">Do you like me?</a> | <a href="http://www.buzzdash.com">BuzzDash polls</a>

Comment

• Fairway To Green
                          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by lordofgun
                          I agree. If all we're saving is $36K, keep him as a backup at least.

But if we cut him this offseason we can get his cap hit off the books this year. I'd rather cut him this year.

Comment

• eyedog
                            • Jul 2002

He has to go now. It doesn't matter if you save only $36,000. What kind of message would that be to the younger players if you let him get away with this act . Good riddence.

Comment

• TigerJ
                              • Jul 2002

My intention in this thread wasn't to say whether he should or shouldn't be gone, Eb. Love him or hate him I think the reality is he's done as a Bill. That's why I solicited suggestions for a replcaement. I don't really have any feeling for the available free agents.
                              I've made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts.

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.

Comment

Working...
                              X