PDA

View Full Version : Ruben Brown update

TigerJ
12-26-2003, 11:20 PM
I didn't catch the whole thing, but the sports news on WIVB made me think that Ruben Brown might have played his last game in a Bills uniform. He has not practiced all this week due to "personal reasons" and is not expected to play the game tomorrow. He has not officially been suspended though. It is known that he is very down on the whole season (Like we aren't?), and of course there is that Ruben Brown quote floating around that sort of sounded like he wasn't going to be back.

Put it all together and it sounds to me like the Ruben Brown era at left guard is over. I don't know all the cap implications, but I think Ruben's departure is a net positive for the 2004 cap picture.

The question is who do we get to replace him? We're already talking about upgrading the other two interior line positions. Three positions is too much to do in the draft alone. TD is going to need to look into veteran free agent guards.

Feel free to remind us of cap implications, Eb or Clumpy.

If anyone wants to suggest a good free agent guard pickup, this is a good time to do it.

Dozerdog
12-26-2003, 11:22 PM
Stay or go, the cap impact is the same (per previous posts by Clump & Eb)

Michael82
12-26-2003, 11:29 PM
http://cbs.sportsline.com/nfl/story/6955643

Dozerdog
12-26-2003, 11:36 PM
Mikey- please put this on the front page- thanks

eyedog
12-27-2003, 12:47 AM
Good i'm glad he's gone. He not only sucks but he is a quiter and a crybaby. The raiders and their over the hill gang will be perfect for him.

Jan Reimers
12-27-2003, 04:40 AM
Originally posted by TigerJ

Put it all together and it sounds to me like the Ruben Brown era at left guard is over.

It's just officially over. Ruben has been living on his reputation for a long time. We will be much better off without his mindless penalties and his "Lookout Drew!" blocks.

shelby
12-27-2003, 07:00 AM
It boggled my mind that he made the Pro Bowl. He was good for at least one holding penalty per game.

i'm curious as to why he is sitting out the last game. If it is due to frustration over a losing season and the desire to play for another team, that is lame. Sitting out the last game is like a three year old taking his toys and going home after an argument.:rolleyes:

don137
12-27-2003, 07:35 AM
Maybe there is more to it than meets the eye but on the surface it sure looks like he is a quitter...

SABURZFAN
12-27-2003, 08:04 AM
r.brown is an All-Pro.....an All-Pro QUITTER!!!!!!!!!

Jan Reimers
12-27-2003, 08:23 AM
Would anyone want him back after this? With all the money he's making, and the (undeserved) Pro Bowl recognition, you would think that the big baby would have enough pride and integrity to go out and play.

I wouldn't have this classless quitter back under any circumstances.

Ebenezer
12-27-2003, 09:39 AM
Originally posted by TigerJ
Feel free to remind us of cap implications, Eb or Clumpy.

Originally posted by Dozerdog
Stay or go, the cap impact is the same (per previous posts by Clump & Eb)

I believe the cap implications are a savings of $36,000...give or take a few...in other words...if he is going to count (roughly) $4 mil against the cap wouldn't it be better that he actually be here?? As we always do...name the replacement??

lordofgun
12-27-2003, 10:01 AM
Originally posted by Ebenezer
I believe the cap implications are a savings of $36,000...give or take a few...in other words...if he is going to count (roughly) $4 mil against the cap wouldn't it be better that he actually be here?? As we always do...name the replacement??

I agree. If all we're saving is $36K, keep him as a backup at least.

Novacane
12-27-2003, 10:05 AM
Originally posted by lordofgun
I agree. If all we're saving is $36K, keep him as a backup at least.

But if we cut him this offseason we can get his cap hit off the books this year. I'd rather cut him this year.

eyedog
12-27-2003, 10:23 AM
He has to go now. It doesn't matter if you save only $36,000. What kind of message would that be to the younger players if you let him get away with this act . Good riddence.

TigerJ
12-27-2003, 10:25 AM
My intention in this thread wasn't to say whether he should or shouldn't be gone, Eb. Love him or hate him I think the reality is he's done as a Bill. That's why I solicited suggestions for a replcaement. I don't really have any feeling for the available free agents.

Dozerdog
12-27-2003, 10:33 AM
If this is true, I'm ashamed to have rooted for him.

I'd rather have Pucillo than a quitter.

Turf
12-27-2003, 10:36 AM
Mike Williams is better suited as a guard anyways, in fact he's perfect for a guard. Trouble is we still need a center and two tackles cause Jennings isn't crazy about staying with these bunch of bafoons either.

Dozerdog
12-27-2003, 10:44 AM
If the cost is the same of keeping or cutting, the Bills would be idiots just to release him.

I would trade the guy and get a day 1 pick in the draft. Get a 3rd round pick from the Giants or someone (who are desperate for O line help) - it will still cost 36,000

The_Philster
12-27-2003, 10:45 AM
According to Mort, he's missing the game because he missed a practice. He showed up the next day saying he couldn't get out of bed because he was despondent over the way the season went.

Dozerdog
12-27-2003, 10:48 AM
Originally posted by The_Philster
According to Mort, he's missing the game because he missed a practice. He showed up the next day saying he couldn't get out of bed because he was despondent over the way the season went.

Too bad for Ruben90210

The_Philster
12-27-2003, 10:49 AM
Too bad for Ruben90210

:rofl:

eyedog
12-27-2003, 10:49 AM
He was despondent ? Oh cripe. I don't want to get out of bed and go to work either, but we all do. Get this ass out of here.

losman2evans
12-27-2003, 11:10 AM
Ruben has been with this team that if he missed a practice for whatever reason and is being punished by not allowing to suit up then I think that is a bit harsh. He should just not be allowed to start, then bring him in during the start of the second quarter. If Ruben wants to play here next year we should play him. We are not going to save any money by cutting him. If he does not want to play here then trade him for a late second round pick if possible.

By not having him dress this last game, it seems to be more then just missing a practice.

Novacane
12-27-2003, 11:15 AM
If the cost is the same of keeping or cutting, the Bills would be idiots just to release him.

I would trade the guy and get a day 1 pick in the draft. Get a 3rd round pick from the Giants or someone (who are desperate for O line help) - it will still cost 36,000

He's old. I can't see anyone giving us a day 1 pick for him.

eyedog
12-27-2003, 11:16 AM
You people are dreaming if you think any team is going to give the Bills a 2nd or 3rd rd draft pick for him. Maybe a 6th or 7th rd.

BillsMan80
12-27-2003, 11:25 AM
Like we really need to try and replace more capable offensive linemen? As it is we need to upgrade at Center and Right Guard anyway. We are a mess right now. Just to throw a great player like Ruben out the door would be ridiculous. He can still play, and with better coaching and scheming, would be able to return to a high level. Ruben has given his heart, and everything he has to this team for the past 8 years. To just throw him out the door like that, and not to mention, the enormous cap hit we'd have this year would not be very wise.

Fat Tony
12-27-2003, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by Fairway To Green
He's old. I can't see anyone giving us a day 1 pick for him.

He's the same age as Willie Roaf was when KC gave up a #3 for him 2 seasons ago. And Willie had terrible knees, and was involved in the Saints babygate scandal.

If you are a team in need of a veteran pro-bowl guard, I think you can get comperable compensation. Or use him in addition with one of your picks to move up/down in the draft.

If you are the Giants (and have a horrid OL) drafting in the top 5, would you trade Ruben and the #1 (and maybe a 3rd or 4th) to move into the top 5? Then you have a shot at almost anyone you want- Manning/Rothlesberger, or the mamoth tackle Robert Gallery from Iowa.

Drewpac
12-27-2003, 12:01 PM
He does sound like a bit of a pussbag but I can live with him staying since it would be hard to retool the entire line in one offseason.

madness
12-27-2003, 12:12 PM
I'm getting sick to my stomach thinking about next season.

BuffaloRanger
12-27-2003, 01:50 PM
The Bills are looking for a guy just like Rueben Brown. Think about it. He's an All-Pro, deserving or not. Wouldn't we fans be estatic if TD announced in the off-season that he signed an All-Pro Guard off of FA?

I'm guessing he had words with that idiot GW. In true Bills idiotic Front office fashion he was probably already told the Bills won't want him back.

So why would he play a meaningless game and risk injury for a coach he has seen destroy the team over the last 3 years and a front office that thinks they can do better than a Pro-Bowler?

TD has killed this team. He should be the first to go. He didn't see the need to improve the O-line. He drafted an injured player that didn't play one game to replace a 2002 Pro-Bowler and the 2003 Team MVP.

Now the Bills need a Center, 2 Guards and O-line depth. Without that Drew has to go a a QB that can run for his life needs to be acquired.

HenryRules
12-27-2003, 03:43 PM
Originally posted by BuffaloRanger
The Bills are looking for a guy just like Rueben Brown. Think about it. He's an All-Pro, deserving or not. Wouldn't we fans be estatic if TD announced in the off-season that he signed an All-Pro Guard off of FA?

Actually, no. Larry Allen was a pro-bowler this year and I hope the Bills don't bring him in . I think this season was his last kick at the can. (not that he's a free agent, I'm just giving an example)

SABURZFAN
12-27-2003, 03:53 PM
If this is true, I'm ashamed to have rooted for him.

I'd rather have Pucillo than a quitter.

i agree.

SABURZFAN
12-27-2003, 03:55 PM

you gotta be kidding me....:rolleyes:

that's a bunch of crap.

The_Philster
12-27-2003, 03:57 PM
Originally posted by SABURZFAN
you gotta be kidding me....:rolleyes:

that's a bunch of crap.

That's what he said on Countdown :idunno:

SABURZFAN
12-27-2003, 03:57 PM
Originally posted by eyedog
You people are dreaming if you think any team is going to give the Bills a 2nd or 3rd rd draft pick for him. Maybe a 6th or 7th rd.

i'll take a bag of practice footballs and a case of water bottles.at least they won't quit.

SABURZFAN
12-27-2003, 04:00 PM

That's what he said on Countdown :idunno:

i'm not doubting you.i just find it to be a bunch of crap.as far as i'm concerned,he quit.we'll see if he picks up that final paycheck.

justasportsfan
12-27-2003, 04:04 PM
tHat's a stupid move by Brown. It's not like he had a great season either.

SABURZFAN
12-27-2003, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by BuffaloRanger
The Bills are looking for a guy just like Rueben Brown.

a quitter?????????

Throne Logic
12-27-2003, 04:14 PM
OK, you're all pissing me off. Until we hear the ENTIRE STORY, you can't just label him a quitter. You guys are all jumping on him based upon what Mort said. Come on, guys. That's just narrow-minded sheep-like behavior. At least wait till Ruben tells his side of it.

As far as trading him, who would want to assume his $4 million contract? Buffalo couldn't possibly hope to trade him for anything higher than a 4th rounder; and that would be a coup in itself.

Expect him to either be on the team or for him to be cut with Buffalo eating the $4 Million Dead Cap money.

SABURZFAN
12-27-2003, 04:23 PM
Originally posted by Throne Logic
OK, you're all pissing me off. Until we hear the ENTIRE STORY, you can't just label him a quitter. You guys are all jumping on him based upon what Mort said. Come on, guys. That's just narrow-minded sheep-like behavior. At least wait till Ruben tells his side of it.

unless it's a death in the family or serious illness in the family,he will be "labeled" a quitter until he can prove otherwise.it'll be interesting to see what he has to say.

don137
12-27-2003, 04:35 PM
I am sure he was as sick of KG as the rest of us and couldn't take it anymore. The difference he is a player and we are fans. Players should never throw in the towel no matter if KG is the OC or not...

Dozerdog
12-27-2003, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by Throne Logic

As far as trading him, who would want to assume his $4 million contract? Buffalo couldn't possibly hope to trade him for anything higher than a 4th rounder; and that would be a coup in itself.

Expect him to either be on the team or for him to be cut with Buffalo eating the $4 Million Dead Cap money.

Ruben's agent could only muster a "Ask the team" response. Sounds like they can't put any positive spin on it.

SabreEleven
12-27-2003, 04:52 PM
IF he did quit, does he have to wear a Bills helmet at the Pro Bowl? Can we get him one of those white helmets with the NFL logo's on the side. I am embarrassed that he is even going to the Pro Bowl even before this "incident" happened...

Turf
12-27-2003, 05:36 PM
Originally posted by HenryRules

Actually, no. Larry Allen was a pro-bowler this year and I hope the Bills don't bring him in . I think this season was his last kick at the can. (not that he's a free agent, I'm just giving an example)

We have a younger version of Larry Allen playing tackle, his name is Mike Williams, who should be an all pro guard, probably the best in the league.

CWOUSARET
12-27-2003, 10:34 PM
It sure seems like he quit on his teammates. I would like to know the truth about why he didn't play befoer I make up my mind on the topic - but if he did quit on the Bills - then you have to let him go. As a former Division I Head Coach - the basic rule of all sports is - A Winner Never Quits & A Quitter Never Wins. Keeping him - IF HE QUIT - sends the worst possible message to the entire team.

LtBillsFan66
12-27-2003, 11:58 PM
Can't they trade him?

Bert102176
12-28-2003, 12:37 AM
I say take him and our #1 to move up in the draft