• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ingtar33
    Dances With Buffaloes
    • Sep 2002

Bills vs Raiders: postgame review

Well, when the Bills fell to 2-3, they missed the opportunity to tie for second in the AFCE with the defending champs. Missed opportunities have been the story of the Bills season thus far. They missed the chance to beat the Jets in week one. They missed a golden opportunity to beat the Broncos in Denver. And they just dropped a winnable game at home to the Oakland Raiders.

The Positives:
    1) The offense moved the ball at will against a good Oakland defense.
    2) Mike Williams had a tremendous game, with the highlight being his crushing block of Armstrong at the end of the 2nd quarter which game Drew the time to find Price for a 50yard gain.
    3) Travis Henry and the running game were largely successful in moving the ball against a strong Oakland run D (80yards rushing).
    4) Schobel had his strongest total game with 1 sack, and a lot of great run D and countless QB pressures.
    5) Fletcher was the only LB who showed up today, and actually had a fairly solid game... and while he was beat by Garner for a 69y play, his safety support (Wire) was not there.
    6) Except for one series in the 2nd half, the O-Line dominated the Raiders front, giving Bledsoe all day. In fairness to the line Bledsoe passed 53 times, and three of the 5 sacks were coverage sacks.
    7) Moulds and Price schooled the Oakland secondary all game.
    8) The special teams showed up and held the NFL's best special teams unit in check, not allowing any big returns or big plays. Special props to Coy Wire, Jackson, and Watson who all had huge special teams plays.

The Negatives:
    1) Marcus Sullivan had his worst game as a starting guard this week, as he was taken to school by Sam Adams all game.
    2) Drew tosses 3 ill advised INTs, and lost his patience early in the 4th quarter. In addition he looked slightly "off" all game... I guess this means he is human. However he did look spectacular at times, and his 400+yard effort and 2 TDs should have been enough.
    3) Coy Wire, Clements, Winfield, Watson, and Prioleau all were shredded, and made no plays all game. 5 games, not one INT: enough said.
    4) Defense, is yet again dominated by a team who only threw 5-15 yard patterns. Grey has to find a way to stop the quick slant, out, or cross. Not enough pressure from the front 4. When your O scores 30+ points you must win the game... so far this year we have a 2-2 record with 30 points on the board (and an 0-1 record when we only put up 20-30).
    5) Aggressive play, hard hitting D has caused 0 fumbles in 4 of 5 games (today included), and only one sack against a weak Oak O-line.

Conclusion
    For 50 minutes the Bills took everything the Raiders could dish out and matched them punch for punch. It is no shame to them that they blinked first. They are now 2-3, and still in the playoff race after a murderous early season schedule. With a little bit of luck we can still head into Miami with a chance to tie them in 3 weeks. Somehow our D has to get better or we could be looking at a 7-9 or 8-8 season.
    My wife told me that if I had a dollar for every girl who found me unattractive, girls would find me VERY attractive.

MY WIFE SAID THAT!!!
  • Captain gameboy
    • Jul 2002

While your congtratulating Schoebel and critiquing the pass D, I'm getting a little tired of the complete lack of credible QB pressures and failed blitzes. I'll rate the DB's when they play behind an average D line/linbacking core. I haven't seen that yet.
    Last edited by Captain gameboy; 10-06-2002, 05:17 PM.

Comment

• John Doe
      Florida Man
      • Jul 2002

Ingtar has become the board's best poster.

Comment

• casdhf
        • Jul 2002

nu uh
        Originally posted by BillsZone Mod
        cas,

I'm just letting you know that you have been given 2 points for telling Wys AKA Mark to kill himself.

BillsZone Mod

Comment

• casdhf
          • Jul 2002

I think Oakland has a very good OL.
          Originally posted by BillsZone Mod
          cas,

I'm just letting you know that you have been given 2 points for telling Wys AKA Mark to kill himself.

BillsZone Mod

Comment

• Ingtar33
            Dances With Buffaloes
            • Sep 2002

Originally posted by gameboy
            While you're congratulating Schoebel and critiquing the pass D, I'm getting a little tired of the complete lack of credible QB pressures and failed blitzes. I'll rate the DB's when they play behind an average D line/linbacking core. I haven't seen that yet.
            You're right, Schoebel is not an entire pass rush... and while he had good pressure all game the rest of the line and LBers didn't do a good job bringing the heat. When a QB is given the time that Gannon is you really can’t expect "much" from the secondary. However, we haven't even been getting "much" from them. Eventually your DBs have to stand up and make a play.

Last year we had a worst front 7, with worst pressure than we're getting now. Yet our DBs were getting the job done, having accounted for several turnovers (both INTs and forced fumbles) and many plays. Heck our secondary is arguably better than last years version (last year our safeties were terrible, this year they are not playing all that bad).

You all know that I've been very forgiving of the Bills shortcomings this year... mainly because I really didn't expect much more than 6-10, and I recognize that the teams is rather young. However the DB's playmaking has been no-existent all season. I'm not calling out the DBs for their play; I'm calling them out for the lack of playmaking. When your opponents put the ball in the air a total of 176 times, you should be able to make something happen.

BTW: the Oakland front five is an average unit at best... however against the Bills it only needed to be as the front four couldn't get pressure without a LB blitz... the story of the season thus far.
            Last edited by Ingtar33; 10-06-2002, 06:15 PM.
            My wife told me that if I had a dollar for every girl who found me unattractive, girls would find me VERY attractive.

MY WIFE SAID THAT!!!

Comment

• shelby
              The Vanilla *****
              • Jul 2002

I am frustrated with our DL...watching the game, i see a lot of intenisty....but no results.
              Nice posts, as usual, Ingtar

Comment

Working...
              X