PDA

View Full Version : 2 observations from just this game alone

DraftBoy
12-27-2003, 01:53 PM
Bledsoe absolutely sucks today as he has all year, even if you dont count the pick as a bad throw which it was, then you still have at least 5 other horrid throws only midway through 2 quarters. He is consistently throwing behind receivers (Moore and Moulds are two key examples). For the amount of players the Patsies are bringing on their blitzes the Bills make shift line is doing well to protect him.

Lastly on the Winfield contract thing alot of you have said that although he is a great tackler you would rather have the picks that Clements (supposedly) brings. That is by far yet to be seen. The play where Bethel Johnson scored was a terrific example of why we need to keep a player like Winfield. Clements was beaten by a simple stiff arm. Clements is a solid tackler but he also supposed to bring in the pics that he is not doing. The argument that Winfield cant catch and he wont bring in the pics is a stupid one with absolutely no backing for two reasons: 1. He is not getting the oppurtunities, and only 2 have been direct ones where he should have had them and on one he did take it and on the other he dropped it. As Philster has consistently pointed out the corners are playing 7 yards off the ball almost every play and how can anybody be expected to make alot of picks when your already backed off that far? Alot of you have also said that his comments where he said he just wants to win as selfish and he shouldnt be retained but to be completely honest I think that those comments are the top reason why he should be retained, Id rather a player who wants to win than one that only cares about money and himself. The D is one of only 3 bright spots this seaosn (the other being Moorman, and Henry). To borrow a famous phrase: "If it aint broke dont fix it". RESIGN WINFIELD!!!!!!

Novacane
12-27-2003, 01:58 PM
Winfield does not want to resign here.

Pride
12-27-2003, 02:06 PM
So your reasoning for keeping winfield is because clements got burned? hmmm... terrible logic considering Winfield's middle name is "toast"

Clements does bring big play ability, winfield has NEVER brought that.

The_Philster
12-27-2003, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by Winfield_26
As Philster has consistently pointed out the corners are playing 7 yards off the ball almost every play and how can anybody be expected to make alot of picks when your already backed off that far?
:bravo:

DraftBoy
12-27-2003, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by Fairway To Green
Winfield does not want to resign here.

You know this?....Because you can read minds?? If so can you tell me the lottery numbers in next week Mega Millions I gotta pay back college loans, I would really appreciate it. But more seriously, where have you read that he DIRECTLY said that he didnt want to resign here? Ive read that he is willing to work towards a new contract and would like to stay in Buffalo but I have yet to read that he would like to leave. A link would be nice.

don137
12-27-2003, 02:46 PM
Unfortunately Winfield isn't exactly having a statement game himslef. He AND Clements have been beat multiple times...

DraftBoy
12-27-2003, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by Pride
So your reasoning for keeping winfield is because clements got burned? hmmm... terrible logic considering Winfield's middle name is "toast"

Clements does bring big play ability, winfield has NEVER brought that.

Clements didnt get burned he just tackled like he was a punter. My reasoning includes the following points:
1. Top 5 tackling CB in the league if not top 3
2. Wants to win
3. Will voice an opinion about displeasure
4. Most solid lockdown corner we have
5. Has game changing ability in hits and ability to cause fumbles
6. We can sign no other CB of his caliber (Bailey will be tagged and Woodson will go to highest bidder aka not us)

Novacane
12-27-2003, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by Winfield_26

You know this?....Because you can read minds?? If so can you tell me the lottery numbers in next week Mega Millions I gotta pay back college loans, I would really appreciate it. But more seriously, where have you read that he DIRECTLY said that he didnt want to resign here? Ive read that he is willing to work towards a new contract and would like to stay in Buffalo but I have yet to read that he would like to leave. A link would be nice.

I guess you have not been hearing his comments lately. He came close to saying that on Empires post game show last week.

I'll be very suprised if he's here next year.

You just don't wanna hafta change your name.:rolleyes:

SabreEleven
12-27-2003, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by Fairway To Green
I guess you have not been hearing his comments lately. He came close to saying that on Empires post game show last week.

I'll be very suprised if he's here next year.

You just don't wanna hafta change your name.:rolleyes:

FTG is right. He said after the Miami game that he is tired of losing. Asked if he will be in Buffalo next year, he didn't respond.

HenryRules
12-27-2003, 03:39 PM
If playing 5-7 yards off the line of scrimmage is Winfield's excuse for no pics this year ... what was the excuse his previous 4 years in the league?

Mr. Cynical
12-27-2003, 03:40 PM
FTG is right. Heard the same thing.

The_Philster
12-27-2003, 03:45 PM
Originally posted by HenryRules
If playing 5-7 yards off the line of scrimmage is Winfield's excuse for no pics this year ... what was the excuse his previous 4 years in the league?

That's the problem with the way people view the CB position. If he doesn't make interceptions, he isn't any good. :rolleyes:

Mr. Cynical
12-27-2003, 03:47 PM
True, but we are last in the league in takeaways, so it does mean something to have the ability to get the picks. Remember, in our glory days we were +12 or more in the T/G ratio. Now we're -14. :(

SABURZFAN
12-27-2003, 03:49 PM
bledsoe and winfield can go elsewhere.bledsoe's overpaid and winfield is soon-to-be overpaid.

HenryRules
12-27-2003, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by The_Philster

That's the problem with the way people view the CB position. If he doesn't make interceptions, he isn't any good. :rolleyes:

If you don't make interceptions, you're definitely not irreplaceable ... and you're also not in the Ty Law, Champ Bailey, etc. category - and those are 2 of the possible players that we can get to replace Winfield. Winfield is a good CB - but compared to the people available, he comes up lacking.

We have DL and LBs to stop the run ... I'd much rather have a CB that can stop the pass like Ty Law or Bailey than Winfield.

The_Philster
12-27-2003, 03:55 PM
Cbs don't have to make picks to stop the pass. They have this stat called passes defensed. It's preferable that they pick it off but a pass defensed is nothing to sneeze at.