PDA

View Full Version : Williams Sideline Presence

Buffarama
10-06-2002, 05:26 PM
Not that this cost us the game, but his mind numbing decision to call 2 timeouts before the end of the first half, having only two time outs with less than 40 secs left, while the offense was kneeling the ball down, had absolutely no chance of giving any positive opportunity to the Bills, and could only benefit the Raiders.
I get the feeling that he gets lost in the glitter out there, and doesn't know what he's doing. With an experienced Gilbride making him look aweful good, and Bledsoe, he's become some kind of disconnected spectator.
His obvious lack of clock management, or better yet, understanding what is going on at the moment is very worrisome for me.

casdhf
10-06-2002, 05:31 PM
He called time-outs when Oakland was downing the ball....why is that a waste? I bet Herm Edwards would tell you anything can happen.

Buffarama
10-06-2002, 05:34 PM
I'm glad you're not coaching if you don't know why.

casdhf
10-06-2002, 05:35 PM
Why?

The Natrix
10-06-2002, 05:39 PM
yeah, why?

casdhf
10-06-2002, 05:40 PM
He doesn't know either, just trying to say something original for once. :rolleyes:

WCoastFin
10-06-2002, 05:40 PM
Originally posted by Buffarama
Not that this cost us the game, but his mind numbing decision to call 2 timeouts before the end of the first half, having only two time outs with less than 40 secs left, while the offense was kneeling the ball down, had absolutely no chance of giving any positive opportunity to the Bills, and could only benefit the Raiders.
I get the feeling that he gets lost in the glitter out there, and doesn't know what he's doing. With an experienced Gilbride making him look aweful good, and Bledsoe, he's become some kind of disconnected spectator.
His obvious lack of clock management, or better yet, understanding what is going on at the moment is very worrisome for me.

Is this a trick question?...I like your negativity. bro, but I thought this benefited the Bills......anything can happened....I enjoy your enthusiasm, but unscrew yourself!:beer:

Dozerdog
10-06-2002, 05:46 PM
The Raiders were around their 10 yard line. If they are content in kneeling or running the ball, use the time outs! Make them snap the ball 3 times instead of once.

It was actually a smart move!

A hell of a lot smartet than going for 2 in Minnesota!

Dozerdog
10-06-2002, 05:47 PM
Explain the benefit to the Raiders please.

Explain how the timeouts would benefit the Bills

SoCalBillsFan
10-06-2002, 06:01 PM
Originally posted by Dozerdog
Explain the benefit to the Raiders please.

Explain how the timeouts would benefit the Bills
Ok :D

The raiders benefit because they could decide after the first kneel down to try to score again, or if they were smart, attempt a fake kneel down. WIth out young Defense someone could easily fall asleep. I could see a DB falling for the fake kneel down and leaving a receiver wide open. And even if they just tried to run a few plays, who knows what could happen. We've seen the bills score in 29 seconds....

The bills benefit because they force the raiders to snap the ball 2 more times. There could be a fumbled snap, and the bills could get the ball back in position to score.

It's really a judgement call.

The Natrix
10-06-2002, 06:22 PM
all of those situations are very unlikely. It even seems like it would be LESS likely that they would fall for the fake snap, since they had time to discuss and/or think about the possibility during the time out. Maybe, the Bills saw something that led to them thinking a fake snap was about to be executed, so they called a timeout

...here is another: The Bills coaches had a lot on there mind, and they wanted to use the time to "extend halftime."

The only way I would criticize GW for the decision is if he though (and for some reason later admitted) that there was actually enough time to get the ball back via a punt. I would criticize him for being a dumba$$

Earthquake Enyart
10-06-2002, 06:29 PM
The sweater vest really bugged me.

casdhf
10-06-2002, 06:44 PM
Gilbride's ?

WCoastFin
10-06-2002, 08:20 PM
who would of imagined we would be here discussing 2 unimportant timeouts.

Buffarama
10-06-2002, 10:03 PM
It's so obvious why. All it did was give the Raiders a chance to move the ball downfield. We could not force the punt with only two time outs. WHY GIVE THE RAIDERS AN OPPORTUNITY WHEN IT BENEFITS YOU NOTHING? They simply knelt down three more times. What was the point?
Here's the real reason. He actually thought he could force a punt. That's my point. He didn't know what was happening. Its freakin obvious.
How about some football sense out there. The guy is lost.

casdhf
10-06-2002, 11:02 PM
Originally posted by Buffarama
It's so obvious why. All it did was give the Raiders a chance to move the ball downfield. We could not force the punt with only two time outs. WHY GIVE THE RAIDERS AN OPPORTUNITY WHEN IT BENEFITS YOU NOTHING? They simply knelt down three more times. What was the point?
Here's the real reason. He actually thought he could force a punt. That's my point. He didn't know what was happening. Its freakin obvious.
How about some football sense out there. The guy is lost.

Someone is lost, I don't think its Gregg Williams though....
The Raiders were downing the ball. What could happen? The snap could be screwed up and fumbled or a penalty could stop the clock and force the team to punt. It doesn't hurt anything at all. The Raiders didn't want an opportunity to throw down field so they were happy to run the clock. So, according to you, GW called time outs which could have let Oakland throw downfield, eventhough Oakland wanted to run out the clock. Sooo, GW was helping the raiders by doing what they didn't want?

lordofgun
10-06-2002, 11:42 PM
The point Buffarama was making is that we didn't have enough time outs to force the raiders to punt it.

If Gannon had faked the kneeldown one of those extra plays, and threw it for a TD or a big gainer, everyone would be in an uproar.

I agree with you, Buffarama.

Michael82
10-06-2002, 11:48 PM
I think you are both on crack....when the ballgame is tied within 2min left of the first half....one of the teams will kneel to go in. IF we forced a punt, we would have kneeled down to end the first half to get into the lockerroom.

lordofgun
10-06-2002, 11:51 PM
No we wouldn't have. We called the timeouts to get the ball back only to kneel it down? I don't think so.

The_Philster
10-07-2002, 03:01 AM
I agree, LOG. I think we would have tried to take a couple shots at a big play to get either into the end zone or into FG range.