X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • HenryRules
    • Jul 2002

What I'm afraid of in the Winfield situation

Most people on this board will agree that if we don't re-sign Winfield, then we need to sign one of the other top CB's available this offseason (or vice-versa).

However, the more I look at this situation, the more similarities I see between the Winfield situation and the Peerless situation - making me believe that Winfield is pretty much as good as gone. And I really don't think we can be successful if that happens.

First, rightly or wrongly, most people (including TD) thought that we were strong offensively at the end of last season and needed lots of help on defense. Now, rightly or wrongly, many people (including TD) think that we're strong defensively and need lots of help on offense.

Second, even though we had lots of holes going into 2002, we still grabbed Josh Reed to prepare for Winfield leaving. This year, even with our weak safeties (strong and free) coming into the season, TD still seemed to be more focused on bringing in CB's (McGee and Sidney) even though Brown had already done a decent job the year before. I know that Milloy is a solid SS, but he was a last second addition and could not have been something that TD was planning for.

Third, Peerless Price was asking to be paid like an elite WR even though he'd never been more than a #2 on our team and we already had a guy like Moulds. Now, I'd be suprised if Winfield doesn't ask to be paid like a pro-bowler receiver, however he isn't a pro bowler.

Fourth, TD didn't think that a team could afford to have 2 highly paid receivers. If you can't afford to have 2 highly paid receivers, then it follows that you probably can't afford to have 2 highly paid corners, since they cover those receivers. Now, if Winfield is re-signed, he will be our only highly-paid receiver, however, that would mena that when Clements contract runs out (either in one or two years), there'd be no space left for him on the team - and that would be TD choosing a Butler guy over his own.

Thoughts?
Working...
X