PDA

View Full Version : Bledsoe will never be the answer

Alluro
12-28-2003, 03:40 PM
Drew Bledsoe has had 3 good seasons in his entire career (96, 97, and 02*), 2 average seasons (94 &98), and 5 TERRIBLE SEASONS (93, 95, 99, 00, and 03). In 01, he was on his way to a another terrible season but we won't count it because he got hurt. For half of his entire career, he has been a disappointment. His career QB rating is 76.7

compare that to some of his contemporaries career qb ratings:
Favre: 87.0
Manning: 88.1
Brady: 85.9
McNair: 84.1
Pennington 94.4
Fiedler: 77.5
Brunell: 85.2
Collins 73.1

Clearly, his efficiency throughout his entire career has been closer to the jay fiedler/kerry collins level than some of the others who would be compared to him. But the problems him with stem deeper than that, as Tom E. Curran, writer for the Boston Globe put it before Drew arrived.

"The plain truth is, ever since coming to New England as the No. 1 overall pick in 1993, the higher the stakes, the smaller Drew Bledsoe played. His career stats in the playoffs? 119-for-231, 1,233 yards, five touchdowns and 12 interceptions. His career completion percentage in the playoffs is 51.5. His quarterback rating is 52.8. His average yards per attempt is 5.3. But wait, we've got some more ugly for you. Bledsoe's career record against winning teams (those that finished the year .500 or better) was 32-55. From 1997 on it was 14-27.Bledsoe's most memorable individual games came when the team was on life-support and little was expected."

The current incarnation of Drew we have on the Bills is not the exception, but rather the norm. His 1-9 record against winning teams on the road as a bill speaks volumes about his ability to perform under pressure. In fact, after his two seasons on the Bills, Drew now has more losses in his career than wins.

But setting aside all of the imperical evidence that suggests drew is highly overrated, look at the intangibles or rather lack of intangibles he brings to the table. He has no awareness of the pass rush going on around him. He seems to think if the line doesn't give him 6 seconds to throw on every play that it isn't enough time...and often times when it does manage to give him time he'll make the most assinine throws you'd expect from a rookie...not an 11 year vet. When the chips are down, he shows no fire or emotion to uplift the team, and instead seems to be pouting. That face NBC kept panning over to during the NE broadcast was vintage drew when the chips are down. You know the look I am talking about..the "what the ___ am i doing here?" look that has been all too common this season.

Why anyone thinks Donahoe in one offseason can build this team into a superbowl team with bledsoe at the helm is beyond the realm of comprehension. Even if everything goes right, and we get a genius coach, a better O-Line, a speedy WR, some pass rushing ends, and an easier schedule, Bledsoe has proven time and time again that he will find a way to steal defeat from the jaws of victory. He's not even a good caretaker qb like a dilfer or brad johnson because his marino complex still has him believing he can make plays that aren't there. This dog is too old to learn new tricks, and costs too much to keep around. It's time to part ways with Drew...it's only going to get worse the longer he is here. History is on my side.

BillsFever
12-28-2003, 03:44 PM
Great post.

Now making the Bledsoe lovers believe that is a different story.

The_Philster
12-28-2003, 03:49 PM

BillsFever
12-28-2003, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by The_Philster

The_Philster
12-28-2003, 03:51 PM
Flutie/RJ all over again :rolleyes:

BillsFever
12-28-2003, 03:57 PM
Flutie/RJ all over again :rolleyes:

It can't be a Flutie/RJ debate all over again till there is somebody else here.

We know Drew Bledsoe sucks all by himself. We don't need another QB to verify it. We need to get rid of the stiff and move on.

The_Philster
12-28-2003, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by BillsFever
It can't be a Flutie/RJ debate all over again till there is somebody else here.

We know Drew Bledsoe sucks all by himself. We don't need another QB to verify it. We need to get rid of the stiff and move on.

I was referring to the way the so-called Bledsoe lovers and the so-called Bledsoe haters get to bashing each other. Look at my sig. Name-calling is juvenile and makes us all into laughingstocks.
Myself...I'd prefer not be laughed at by the rest of the league's fans...but to each their own, I guess.

Dozerdog
12-28-2003, 04:09 PM
Are you two ladies done yet?

BillsFever
12-28-2003, 04:10 PM
I was referring to the way the so-called Bledsoe lovers and the so-called Bledsoe haters get to bashing each other. Look at my sig. Name-calling is juvenile and makes us all into laughingstocks.
Myself...I'd prefer not be laughed at by the rest of the league's fans...but to each their own, I guess.

Drew Bledsoe has already helped us in that area. If anything they will be laughing that there is people who still think he has the "potential" to be a good QB.

Alluro
12-28-2003, 05:48 PM
I really just can't understand what game the people that support bledsoe are watching. It's like while I'm watching a healthy version of rob johnson, they see jim kelly in his prime with blame to spread around to everyone else. I really wish Travis Brown would have had a chance to play the entire New England game to form a basis for comparison but it did unfortunately cement one obvious fact...this team cannot win big with dredsoe

BillsFever
12-28-2003, 05:50 PM
Originally posted by Alluro
I really just can't understand what game the people that support bledsoe are watching. It's like while I'm watching a healthy version of rob johnson, they see jim kelly in his prime with blame to spread around to everyone else. I really wish Travis Brown would have had a chance to play the entire New England game to form a basis for comparison but it did unfortunately cement one obvious fact...this team cannot win big with dredsoe

If Brown would've started the entire game and did good there would be plenty of excuses why he did good. They would've said Bledsoe would've had a good game too. Or that they made the offense easier for Brown. Or that the Pats weren't trying because they didn't wanna get anybody hurt.

shelby
12-28-2003, 05:54 PM
:huddle:

Drewpac
12-28-2003, 06:25 PM

If Brown would've started the entire game and did good there would be plenty of excuses why he did good. They would've said Bledsoe would've had a good game too. Or that they made the offense easier for Brown. Or that the Pats weren't trying because they didn't wanna get anybody hurt.

This statement couldn't be any truer.

BillsFever
12-28-2003, 06:28 PM
Originally posted by Drewpac
This statement couldn't be any truer.

There is an excuse out there for everything. You just have to find them.

SABURZFAN
12-28-2003, 06:30 PM

There is an excuse out there for everything. You just have to find them.

Finheaven is a good place to start.there's a ton of excuses over there.:snicker:

caveboy
12-28-2003, 09:05 PM
And just in case people want to blame the line for all of Drew's troubles, two of the top three teams that lead the league in sacks are still in the playoffs: the Eagles and Seahawks. (The third is Buffalo; all three have given up over 40 sacks.)

It ain't just the line – it's the lack of a mobile QB that takes too long to read and react.

justasportsfan
12-29-2003, 08:10 AM

If Brown would've started the entire game and did good there would be plenty of excuses why he did good. They would've said Bledsoe would've had a good game too. Or that they made the offense easier for Brown. Or that the Pats weren't trying because they didn't wanna get anybody hurt. Didn't you hear? TB was playing against 3rd string D. :ugly:

Tatonka
12-29-2003, 09:10 AM
Originally posted by caveboy
And just in case people want to blame the line for all of Drew's troubles, two of the top three teams that lead the league in sacks are still in the playoffs: the Eagles and Seahawks. (The third is Buffalo; all three have given up over 40 sacks.)

It ain't just the line – it's the lack of a mobile QB that takes too long to read and react.

actually.. the eagles and the seahawks have two of the more moble qbs in the league.. i dont see your point..

moble qbs obvioulsy dont mean less sacks if you look at those numbers.