PDA

View Full Version : Kirk Ferentz

BidsJr
12-29-2003, 12:09 PM
For the record I mentioned Ferentz months ago. I am a huge Iowa fan but an even bigger Bills fan. I think that Buffalo has all the essentials that would cause Ferentz to leave Iowa. College atmosphere, excellent owner/GM with Pittsburg connections. In my opinion our biggest need next to Head Coach is offensive line help. Ferentz is an O-Line genius. He consistantly takes walk on's and turns them into NFL draft picks. If he brings with him IOWA strength and conditioning coach Doyle (one of worlds strongest men) Look OUT!

Iowa fans are scared to death of the Bills as they see them as one of maybe 3 teams that KF would consider. (Baltimore/Pittsburgh)

BUT if he did leave Iowa then I hope he goes to the Bills.

He is also from Belichek/Parcells geneology.

Ebenezer
12-29-2003, 12:12 PM
I would not be upset if he is the next Bills coach.

BidsJr
12-29-2003, 12:25 PM
Hell he went 9-3 this year with a 6-7 QB who is immoble and can't get out of his own way. (and won't even be drafted let alone #1 overall)

How did he win????????????

Field position, and controlling the clock.

Let the defense and special teams do the talking, and don't make stupid mistakes on offense. (Parcells-esque)

I did watch every Iowa game this year, and I can't tell you how many times he would pound the ball to the 50 and pin to other team deep and let the D make a play.

EDS
12-29-2003, 02:46 PM
I haven't watched any of the Iowa games but I like everything I read/hear about Ferentz, so add me to the bandwagon.

BidsJr
12-29-2003, 02:54 PM
Our o-line certainly wouldn't suck

EDS
12-29-2003, 03:02 PM
If we are keeping Bledsoe - and all indications are that the Drew will be back - then a offensive line guru is exactly what the doctor ordered. Even has one of his former pupils in Sobieski.

BidsJr
12-29-2003, 03:05 PM
Sobieski was probably the weakest of the pupils unfortunately.

baalworship
12-29-2003, 04:37 PM
Been on this one also. If the Bills land Ferentz hello PLAYOFFS!

Dozerdog
12-29-2003, 04:39 PM
Kirk for coach!

I want Captain Kirk!

Tatonka
12-29-2003, 04:52 PM
he was my pick in my article i wrote.

TigerJ
12-29-2003, 05:10 PM
I heard several times about his son being a team member at Iowa. Would he leave before his son graduates?

Mad Bomber
12-29-2003, 05:33 PM
As an Iowa alum, and HUGE Hawkeye fan, I have mixed feelings on this...

Ferentz has done an INCREDIBLE job with the Iowa program. He took a team this year which nobody gave a chance (because of massive losses to graduation and no obvious QB) and went 9-3.

Kirk stresses a strong D (especially against the run) and a disciplined O.

As much as I'd hate to see him leave Iowa, I'd much more like to see him as the Bills' coach....after all, I've been a Bills fan a LOT longer than I've been a Hawks fan!!!

BidsJr
12-29-2003, 05:45 PM
Originally posted by Mad Bomber
As much as I'd hate to see him leave Iowa, I'd much more like to see him as the Bills' coach....after all, I've been a Bills fan a LOT longer than I've been a Hawks fan!!!

I'm in that same boat completely.

The only thing that could make this perfect would be that Stoops has said that there is only one college program he would leave OU for. (:

Could it get any better than that????

Ferentz= Bills
Stoops= Iowa?

The Spaz
12-29-2003, 05:57 PM
Please god give us Kirk Ferentz!

BidsJr
12-29-2003, 06:01 PM
He is the best choice.

I don't want a retread.

IE. Fassel/Jauron

Jeff1220
12-29-2003, 06:48 PM
He was the Ravens O-line coach for a while and the fans here really have had a lot of good things to say about him (I asked). The guys I've talked to have credited Ferentz w/building the sick OL the Ravens now possess.

BidsJr
12-29-2003, 06:56 PM
He also built five NFL draft picks from last years Iowa line that came from Walk on's and 1 and 2 star TE recruits

BidsJr
12-29-2003, 10:04 PM
Actually the best thing that could \happen is that we get Ferentz and happen to luck out on Robert Gallery the Outland trophy winner and the new anchor to our LT position for the next ten years. Then Capt. Kirk and RG could teach O-line tech's to the rest of our team.

madness
12-29-2003, 10:18 PM
Seriously now, all this talk is making me giddy inside. Is there a possibility we could land him? This was my pick from the start but I didn't think we had a shot getting him. Would TD be smart enough to grab him? I sure hope so.

BidsJr
12-29-2003, 10:33 PM
Oh I think it is definately a possibility. They just ahve to pry him away from Iowa City. And that is no short order my friend. IC is a wonderful town and probably one of the best places in the country to raise kids. Fantastic school systems. Open up the wallet Ralphy!!!!!

baalworship
12-29-2003, 10:41 PM
Another Bills fan told me that he heard Chris Mortensen say on the radio that these guys were on the Bills list: Fassel, Haslett, and Ferentz.

Obviously, if this is true I am giddy as well. If Donahoe lets this guy in his office for an interview he will blow the doors off the interview. He beat out seasoned veterans for his first coaching gig when he was 26 years old.

"Thumbs up

* It's becoming evident why NFL types have their eye on Iowa coach Kirk Ferentz, whose team beat Wisconsin, 27-21, to cap a 9-3 regular season. The Hawkeyes had a terrific year despite losing seven offensive starters -- including four linemen -- from a 2002 team that shared the Big Ten title and went to the Orange Bowl. Ferentz, an Upper St. Clair native, is a legitimate choice for national coach of the year"

baalworship
12-29-2003, 10:54 PM
Plus, according to Newsday he's on every one's list. I know the Cardinals admitted they were looking into him and here's the Giants short list according to Newsday,"In spite of the quick action on Coughlin, it could be several weeks before the Giants name a coach. They plan to wait until after the regular season to interview several coaching candidates currently employed as assistants.

While they would not divulge the list, sources said it looks like this: Coughlin, LSU coach Nick Saban, St. Louis Rams defensive coordinator Lovie Smith, New England Patriots offensive coordinator Charlie Weis, Patriots defensive coordinator Romeo Crennel and Iowa coach Kirk Ferentz."

BidsJr
12-29-2003, 11:01 PM
Unlikely that Ferentz would got o either Arizona (bad ownership/gm situation) or NY(same + unrealistic expectations) Kirk has been know to love the College atmosphere (Buffalo) and would only consider the perfect situation because he is VERY VERY VERY happy at Iowa. I am not worried about other teams and Kirk. Just Buffalo and Kirk. I think we are his best fit out of the openings. Only Chicago would be close.

baalworship
12-30-2003, 06:18 PM
Another update. Today's Buffalo News said people in Buffalo's front office, "Held (Ferentz) him in high regard."

So although this week is time to interview coordinators about to play in the playoffs, Kirk Ferentz will be visited by NFL teams soon....

Please, Donahoe. Start stalking him like you did Posey!

dolfan25
12-30-2003, 06:29 PM
Ok Bills fans here comes a Fins fan to educate on the bigger picture.

Apparently Ferentz is very tight with Scott Pioli of the New England Patriots. It is believed that he will wait until Pioli gets his own GM gig which will likely happen this offseason or next offseason to jump to the NFL.

baalworship
12-30-2003, 06:51 PM
Hmm, thanks for the education. I was aware that he is friends with Pioli but what you said is merely speculation. The fact is, Ferentz IS on almost every team's list right now. I doubt it would be so if it was believed that Ferentz would only coach with Pioli as GM. Ferentz has wanted to coach in the NFL since BEFORE he got to the college ranks. He went there because he saw it as the fastest way to the NFL head coaching position. My money is on the fact that he WILL come out if someone presents an attractive offer...

dolfan25
12-30-2003, 06:58 PM
Would you consider coaching in Buffalo an attractive offer?

baalworship
12-30-2003, 07:12 PM
If you like a stadium full of fans cheering for THEIR team, yes. If you like a stadium full of people from the "visiting" team yelling, "DUCCCCCCCCCEEEEEE," then Miami is better!

Bufftp
12-30-2003, 07:20 PM
Though Ferentz would be an outstanding coach in the NFL, especially here in Blo. I hope he stays in IOWA. He is building a legitamate National Title Contender there.

Go Hawkeyes!
Were gonna fight fight for Iowa.....

dolfan25
12-30-2003, 07:25 PM
Boy you really have a grip on what makes a job attractive to a coach. What you've just posted has nothing to do with what makes a position attractive to a coach.

Do you think if the last game was not the Phins that it would've been a sellout. The history of the fairweather Bills fan says no. Usually when the Bills stop winning they have trouble selling out.

The Spaz
12-30-2003, 07:36 PM
Originally posted by dolfan25
Boy you really have a grip on what makes a job attractive to a coach. What you've just posted has nothing to do with what makes a position attractive to a coach.

Do you think if the last game was not the Phins that it would've been a sellout. The history of the fairweather Bills fan says no. Usually when the Bills stop winning they have trouble selling out.

Sorry pal but we went 6-10 while selling out all of our home games. Unlike the Dolphins who still had a chance to make the playoffs but instead hear the chants of "Duuuccceeee" in their own stadium.

baalworship
12-30-2003, 07:38 PM
My post was in response a question I thought you asked of me.

As far as what an attractive job is in the NFL, it varies on the individual person, DUH!

Most important factors for most coaches:

A. GM - Some coaches want to GM. Others would rather let personnel gurus get players for their systems.

B. Owner- Does this guy suck or not? Washington has an owner with a bad rep. Buffalo's has a good one. A guy that is level-headed but will spend money on FA's if needed.

C.Scouting & Personnel Department: Every good coach need good scouts & Good pro personnel guys. Buffalo has one of the best scouting & personnel depts in the NFL. You should know, Miami is interviewing one of our assistants for the job above Wanny.

D. Intangibles-All people have preferences. Parcells wanted the Dallas job because it is a storied franchise. Some coaches like warm weather and golf. Others like to stay near a certain geographic area. Nothing in Ferentz's background leads me to believe that Buffalo wouldn't fit because of this reason. A Jimmy Johnson is a different case. Guy wants only warm weather.

There. Happy now?!

BidsJr
12-30-2003, 08:26 PM
Originally posted by dolfan25

The history of the fairweather Bills fan says no. Usually when the Bills stop winning they have trouble selling out.

How old are you? If you are above 6 then an IQ check should be in order. Any team with a stadium with a capacity 20% of its population should be thankful for any sellouts. If you look at Miami capacity VS population you will see that Miami fans are the fair weather fans. Look at the freaking Marlins for crying out loud. World series winner that can't even sell out.

For a college coach atmosphere can be a huge selling point. Buffalo, Green Bay, Pittsburgh, K.C. are some of teh few and the proud that can boast a College like following from year to year.

TigerJ
12-30-2003, 08:41 PM
I don't know if it's any indication, but Buffalo seemed to be very competitive when it came to signing free agents last offseason. I believe more than one FA accepted lower offers from Buffalo over higher offers from other teams.

baalworship
12-30-2003, 09:07 PM
That's what's nice about Buffalo. It has a college atmoshphere & excitement at every game. Parcells even said it was one of his favorite stadiums to coach in because of the Buffalo fans & atmosphere. Makes sense, the guy loves the biggest challenges!

So here's the current teams and how they stack up that are looking for a coach in terms of fans:

NY Giants: Share a stadium with the Jets. Biggest & toughest city to coach in. Probably too much of a culture shock from Iowa. Fans have eaten up pretty much everyone there but Parcells.

Oakland: Rabid fans. Scary people though.

Atlanta: Sell out now because of Vick. Fan base would disappear if Vick ever left.

Arizona: Worst stadium & fans in NFL.

Chicago: New stadium, fans who love their team. On par with Buffalo here.

Buffalo: Bills fans are BEST! Best tailgating & electric stadium. 12th Man a factor that can't be underestimated.

Bufftp
12-30-2003, 09:15 PM
baalworship
Buffalo: Bills fans are BEST! Best tailgating & electric stadium. 12th Man a factor that can't be underestimated.
so very true Baal :up:

baalworship
12-30-2003, 09:20 PM
We've lost 4 SB's, suffered through Forward Lateral, NO GOAL, a little Wade Phillips, some G dub action and we still want

MORRRREEE! Yeah! That's why we're #1!

:cheers:

BidsJr
12-30-2003, 09:24 PM
Amen, and the Dol-fan is silent.

BillyT92679
12-30-2003, 10:34 PM
QUOTE]Originally posted by dolfan25

Do you think if the last game was not the Phins that it would've been a sellout. The history of the fairweather Bills fan says no. Usually when the Bills stop winning they have trouble selling out. [/QUOTE]

QUOTE]Originally posted by The Spaz
Sorry pal but we went 6-10 while selling out all of our home games. Unlike the Dolphins who still had a chance to make the playoffs but instead hear the chants of "Duuuccceeee" in their own stadium. [/QUOTE]

We Bills fans today are the best in the league! But to be fair, the Dolphin fan is not completely inaccurate. If you look at some of the attendance numbers during the dark ages of Bills football (e.g. 1977, 1984, 1985) it would be surprising. Crowds of just 25,000 fans were not uncommon. But today, especially with the tradition of the Super Bowl years still fresh in people's minds, the Bills and their fan base form a tight knit NFL family. We love our team probably more than any other fan base.

BidsJr
12-30-2003, 10:45 PM
Again I challenge you all to look at the population base vs ave attendence. Miami dosn't have a chance.

BidsJr
01-01-2004, 02:17 PM
Ferentz's phone ringing yet?

Sure it is, hope it's from our team.