PDA

View Full Version : Center concerns

Tatonka
12-29-2003, 01:35 PM
the only guy in the FA pool worth a center spot is really Damien Woody.

there are a few guys in the draft though that i think are worth a shot.

i know that the center from my alum, vtech, jake grove, is a beast. big boy, 300lbs.. but can move.. very good pulling center. smart guy. he won whatever the award for the best center in NCAA football is called this year. i believe he is regarded as the number one pick at the position, but i would think, being a center, we are talking a 2nd rounder tops.

there is also a center from lsu that is pretty solid.. his name escapes me at the moment.

does anyone else have any info on center in FA or draft?

Novacane
12-29-2003, 01:38 PM
A couple off-seasons ago they were trying Jennings at center and all reports were he was doing great. Then they went and put Teague there instead. What about moving him back there and getting a new LT?

Tatonka
12-29-2003, 01:47 PM
i like jennings at lt though to be honest. i actually like jennings at RT best.. he was great there as a rookie. mike williams is the one getting paid like a LT.. and we know he has the ability. he should be the one at LT.. and jennings should be at RT. but i like those two as our bookends.

i want brown to stick around as well. we cant replace that guy.. the physical skills can be replaced, but not immediately.. but the intensity cant. he is a leader. we need him there.

i really like Grove, but i am a VT homer, so i saw him play. all i know is while he was at center, tech had 1000 yard rushers ever year. including last year, when kevin jones and lee suggs both had over 1000 yards.

i am starting to like the idea of grove, because he is going to be very good, but as a second round pick, maybe even a bit later, he wont cost NEAR the money that Woody will.

Tatonka
12-29-2003, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by Fairway To Green
A couple off-seasons ago they were trying Jennings at center and all reports were he was doing great. Then they went and put Teague there instead. What about moving him back there and getting a new LT?

also, i heard reports than jennings was not picking up the metal side of the center position well. does anyone else remember this?

Novacane
12-29-2003, 01:58 PM
I don't remember. I just remember them saying how great he was doing. Probably was Greg blowing smoke out his ass

Tatonka
12-29-2003, 01:59 PM
all i know is we need a new center... and we need one BAD.

The_Philster
12-29-2003, 03:18 PM
Kind of a long shot, but does anyone else think Conaty could come back and play under the right coaching? :feedback:

THATHURMANATOR
12-29-2003, 03:24 PM
F CONATY

The_Philster
12-29-2003, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by THATHURMANATOR
F CONATY
:eek: Damn...it was just a question. :ontome:

stuckincincy
12-29-2003, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by Tatonka
the only guy in the FA pool worth a center spot is really Damien Woody.

there are a few guys in the draft though that i think are worth a shot.

i know that the center from my alum, vtech, jake grove, is a beast. big boy, 300lbs.. but can move.. very good pulling center. smart guy. he won whatever the award for the best center in NCAA football is called this year. i believe he is regarded as the number one pick at the position, but i would think, being a center, we are talking a 2nd rounder tops.

there is also a center from lsu that is pretty solid.. his name escapes me at the moment.

does anyone else have any info on center in FA or draft?

Not a lot of FA decent centers to my knowledge. Last draft, I swore when CLE took Faine just before the Bills, but OG Steinback was still available (he played all 3 line positions).

Dumbfounded when he was passed over for a prayer and a hope by TD.

Al Johnson was still up. Not to be. Dallas picked 'em a round later -he was injureed this season. we'll see.

Koppen, a late pick, helped to save the Pat's bacon

A good center lasts a lifetime. Jim Otto. Mile Webster. Dwane Stephenson. Dermonti Dawson. A constant.

Dozerdog
12-29-2003, 03:57 PM
Spend the money on Woodey

He can play Guard as well. Then i'd move Teague to guard. Teague was a decent lineman in Denver- but moving him to center was to much fo r the guy. Plus if you are going to keep Bledsoe, Woodey has a rapport with him. Better communications.

don137
12-29-2003, 04:25 PM
I know Woody is an excellant center but my only concern is that he can't do the shotgun and if Bledsoe is the QB that is not good combination...

Tatonka
12-29-2003, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by don137
I know Woody is an excellant center but my only concern is that he can't do the shotgun and if Bledsoe is the QB that is not good combination...

i heard that rumor.. but i find it impossible to believe that a pro bowl center really cant do a shotgun snap.. i think it is horse**** personally.

don137
12-29-2003, 04:49 PM
From my understanding is Woody moved over to guard when the offense went into shotgun formation...

Tatonka
12-29-2003, 04:56 PM
Originally posted by don137
From my understanding is Woody moved over to guard when the offense went into shotgun formation...

no.. woody moved to guard because of all the injuries to their line, and they drafted a kid, koppen, who was better at center, as opposed to their options of keeping woody at center, and finding another guard.

TigerJ
12-29-2003, 05:06 PM
If Grove is available when the Bills pick in round two, I wouldn't be disappointed. I would be a little surprised if he's still available a round later. Was the LSU center named Ben Wilkerson?

Tatonka
12-29-2003, 05:09 PM
yeah.. that is lsu's guy.. he is solid too.. i get wilkerson confused with the guard that they have.. peterson.

Dozerdog
12-29-2003, 05:12 PM
Not that Mel is any genius- here are Kiper's top centers

Center
1. Jake Grove, Virginia Tech, first round -- Has moved up the draft board lately and has the mean streak teams look for in an anchor. Game day performances have been excellent.

2. Nick Leckey, Kansas State, third-fourth round -- Experienced at both guard and center and a solid technician at 6-3&189;, 313, Leckey has banged heads with some of the best defensive tackles in the country during his career.

3. Nick Seitze, Kentucky, fourth-fifth round -- Has worked in practice and games against top-drawer DTs and checks in at 6-4&189;, 291 pounds.

4. Scott Wells, Tennessee, late rounds -- Experienced and well-coached, Wells understands leverage and is a solid, reliable anchor at 6-1, 300 pounds.

5. A.J. Ricker, Missouri, late rounds -- Has started since his freshman year and has done a good job developing his technical skills and confidence.

Dozerdog
12-29-2003, 05:15 PM
His top Guards-

Get Woody in FA, then if available Rothlesberger or Sean Taylor in Rd 1, and maybe one of these guys Rd 2 or later

Guard
1. Vernon Carey, Miami, first-second round -- Was not at full strength this season because of an ankle injury, yet the 6-4, 355-pounder played every line spot except center this year. An excellent player when healthy.

2. Sean Locklear, NC State, third-fourth round -- Athletic and strong at 6-3&189;, 305 pounds Locklear has made a successful transition from defensive tackle and has been versatile late in his career.

3. Atlas Harrion, Alabama, fifth-sixth round -- A major-college sleeper, Harrion is versatile enough to play every spot on the line but looks like a guard in the NFL. At 6-3&189;, 300 pounds he could still maximize his play and be a better pro than collegian.

4. Stephen Peterman, LSU, fourth-fifth round -- A former tight end and defensive end who is still mastering the technical aspects of the position, but at 6-3&189;, 325 you have to like his fire and aggressiveness.

5. Shannon Snell, Florida, second-day choice -- A proven entity and very good from a technical standpoint, but maybe not as dominant as he should have been at 6-4, 333 pounds.

Tatonka
12-29-2003, 05:16 PM
so rare to see a center in the first round though... if the next guy is considered a 3rd round guy, then maybe grove's value will be higher.

Dozerdog
12-29-2003, 05:17 PM
These lists were put together Dec 15

Ickybaluky
12-29-2003, 05:18 PM
Woody hasn't shotgun snapped since the 2000 season. He struggled with snaps that season and the Pats scrapped the formation. He has struggled with shotgun snapping going back to BC.

IN 2001, they signed Mike Compton to start at OG. Compton and Woody would flip-flop in shotgun formation, with Compton snapping the ball. Woody played C in regular formations.

This year, Woody has played OG all season due to injuries.