PDA

View Full Version : what coaches are out there?

BillsOwnAll
12-30-2003, 01:49 PM
whos out there for us.? and thats good? is jim fossil a good pickup?.

TigerJ
12-30-2003, 10:01 PM
There are a bunch of guys. To be interviewed this week: Lovie Smith, Romeo Crennel, Charlie Wiess, and Jerry Gray (yes, our own Jerry Gray). Other names mentioned by TD as head coach candidates: Jim Fassell, Dick Jauron, Tom Coughlin, and Dennis Green.

Whether someone is good or not is a very subjective issue. There is no perfect coach, not even Bill Belichick, Bill Parcells or Dick Vermiel.

Jim Fassell is supposed to have a creative offensive mind. He is given credit for resurrecting Kerry Collins' career. He also has a reputation for some mind boggling game management decisions, and this year he clearly lost the Giants players, though they did have to deal with a bunch of injuries.

Dennis Green has a very big ego, likes power and may be seen as threatening by TD. While he generally fielded a very competitive team his Vikings had something of a reputation for folding in the playoffs.

Tom Coughlin is a disciplinarian who has a reputation for making a team win quickly, but his draconian discipline quickly alienates players and he wears out his welcome pretty quickly. He's also been accustomed to making player personnel decisions and while he says he can give up that job, one wonders if he'll really be content with a strong GM.

Dick Jauron had one very good season in Chicago, but he's an intellectual, not an emotional guy, and one wonders if he's the type who is a great coordinator but doesn't quite cut it as a head coach.

Crennell, Weiss, and Lovie Smith are all excellent coordinators who are unknowns as head coaches. Some make the jump very well. Others (Gregg Williams) don't.

BTW, there are more former head coaches I didn't mention, and I didn't even begin to talk about college head coaches with NFL experience as position coaches (Kirk Ferentz) or coordinators (Nick Saban, Walt Harris? etc.). TD could probably interview 20 guys if he really wanted to. I would expect he'll interview less than half that many.

BidsJr
12-30-2003, 10:05 PM
Captain Kirk is the man!

Turf
12-30-2003, 10:09 PM
Originally posted by TigerJ
There are a bunch of guys. To be interviewed this week: Lovie Smith, Romeo Crennel, Charlie Wiess, and Jerry Gray (yes, our own Jerry Gray). Other names mentioned by TD as head coach candidates: Jim Fassell, Dick Jauron, Tom Coughlin, and Dennis Green.

Whether someone is good or not is a very subjective issue. There is no perfect coach, not even Bill Belichick, Bill Parcells or Dick Vermiel.

Jim Fassell is supposed to have a creative offensive mind. He is given credit for resurrecting Kerry Collins' career. He also has a reputation for some mind boggling game management decisions, and this year he clearly lost the Giants players, though they did have to deal with a bunch of injuries.

Dennis Green has a very big ego, likes power and may be seen as threatening by TD. While he generally fielded a very competitive team his Vikings had something of a reputation for folding in the playoffs.

Tom Coughlin is a disciplinarian who has a reputation for making a team win quickly, but his draconian discipline quickly alienates players and he wears out his welcome pretty quickly. He's also been accustomed to making player personnel decisions and while he says he can give up that job, one wonders if he'll really be content with a strong GM.

Dick Jauron had one very good season in Chicago, but he's an intellectual, not an emotional guy, and one wonders if he's the type who is a great coordinator but doesn't quite cut it as a head coach.

Crennell, Weiss, and Lovie Smith are all excellent coordinators who are unknowns as head coaches. Some make the jump very well. Others (Gregg Williams) don't.

BTW, there are more former head coaches I didn't mention, and I didn't even begin to talk about college head coaches with NFL experience as position coaches (Kirk Ferentz) or coordinators (Nick Saban, Walt Harris? etc.). TD could probably interview 20 guys if he really wanted to. I would expect he'll interview less than half that many.

Nice post Tiger. A good assessment of what's out there.