PDA

View Full Version : TDs list of possible coaches

Tatonka
12-30-2003, 02:48 PM
Bills | Preparing To Contact Potential Coaching Candidates - from www.KFFL.com
Tue, 30 Dec 2003 12:16:33 -0800

Buffalo Bills president Tom Donahoe has formed an initial list of coaching candidates to fill the team's vacant head-coaching position, according to the Associated Press. The list includes New England Patriots offensive coordinator Charlie Weis and defensive coordinator Romeo Crennel as well as St. Louis Rams defensive coordinator Lovie Smith. Donahoe is preparing to request permission from both the Patriots and Rams to contact their respective coaches. Bills defensive coordinator Jerry Gray is also a candidate on Donahoe's list.

Mr. Miyagi
12-30-2003, 02:50 PM
Originally posted by Tatonka
Bills | Preparing To Contact Potential Coaching Candidates - from www.KFFL.com
Tue, 30 Dec 2003 12:16:33 -0800

Buffalo Bills president Tom Donahoe has formed an initial list of coaching candidates to fill the team's vacant head-coaching position, according to the Associated Press. The list includes New England Patriots offensive coordinator Charlie Weis and defensive coordinator Romeo Crennel as well as St. Louis Rams defensive coordinator Lovie Smith. Donahoe is preparing to request permission from both the Patriots and Rams to contact their respective coaches. Bills defensive coordinator Jerry Gray is also a candidate on Donahoe's list.
So much for wanting to hire somebody with headcoaching experience. :rolleyes:

justasportsfan
12-30-2003, 02:50 PM
Low profile coaches again? When is he gonna gun for one that's had HC experience?

Wies in means Drew out? That's bad news for Saviour and co.

Earthquake Enyart
12-30-2003, 02:52 PM
He should interview Weis and Crennel at length on how they would attack the Patriots. Then not hire them.

Tatonka
12-30-2003, 02:55 PM
i would take any one of the three people on that list without a bit of hesitation... all three of them are as good as it gets in the nfl right now.

The Natrix
12-30-2003, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by justasportsfan

Wies in means Drew out?

:pray:

Michael82
12-30-2003, 02:57 PM
Guys, we have to interview these guys by Friday or we won't get another shot until AFTER their team is knocked out of the playoffs or Super Bowl. The big names will be the next ones to be interviewed.

The Natrix
12-30-2003, 02:57 PM
Head coaching experience is overrated. It is just a another term for a head coach that got fired.

If a marketing manager doesn't hire some recent college graduates, he or she isn't going to get any fresh ideas.

Tatonka
12-30-2003, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by The Natrix
Head coaching experience is overrated. It is just a another term for a head coach that got fired.

If a marketing manager doesn't hire some recent college graduates, he or she isn't going to get any fresh ideas.

exactly.

justasportsfan
12-30-2003, 03:01 PM

If a marketing manager doesn't hire some recent college graduates, he or she isn't going to get any fresh ideas. we're 2 and out since Marv. I'm all for trying out College coaches but not when we are so close. What type of personel do you think College coaches will bring with them, Phys. Ed. teachers just like GW?

Mr. Miyagi
12-30-2003, 03:02 PM
I don't want another GW.

Ebenezer
12-30-2003, 03:03 PM

Fresh ideas don't always pan out...GW was a fresh idea...the league is very conservative...many teams only interview minorities because they have to. I'd take a Reeves (200+ wins) before I'd take another GW.

Mr. Miyagi
Originally posted by Mike32282
Guys, we have to interview these guys by Friday or we won't get another shot until AFTER their team is knocked out of the playoffs or Super Bowl. The big names will be the next ones to be interviewed.
I hope you're right.

justasportsfan
Guys, we have to interview these guys by Friday or we won't get another shot until AFTER their team is knocked out of the playoffs or Super Bowl. The big names will be the next ones to be interviewed. Won't happen. It will interfere w/ their playoffs. After the playoffs will BB let his asst. go for an interview. That's what my sources tell me :D

lordofgun
12-30-2003, 03:06 PM
Lovie Smith is just to satisfy the minority interview requirements. If he declines, it's easy to interview Jerry Gray. :snicker:

TedMock
12-30-2003, 03:09 PM
I'd take Weiss in a heartbeat. I'd also take Fassell. Minority or not, I just don't think we need a defensive guy.

Mr. Miyagi
12-30-2003, 03:12 PM
Why is everyone so high on Weis? Do we like the screen pass that much? Drew couldn't pull that off anyway.

justasportsfan
12-30-2003, 03:15 PM
Originally posted by lordofgun
Lovie Smith is just to satisfy the minority interview requirements. If he declines, it's easy to interview Jerry Gray. :snicker: Isn't Crennel a minority?

The Natrix
12-30-2003, 03:17 PM
Patriot's offense is more than screen passes.

Michael82
12-30-2003, 03:18 PM
Won't happen. It will interfere w/ their playoffs. After the playoffs will BB let his asst. go for an interview. That's what my sources tell me :D

LOL! That's the way it works. You have one week to interview coaches from the top 4 teams that are on byes this week. After Friday, you will not be able to interview them until after they get knocked out of the playoffs. That's why the coaches are getting fired so fast and getting brought in. These assistants can only be interviewed now, unless you wanna wait.....Tom Coughlin, Jim Fassel and Dick Jauron will be interviewed later in the week, IMO.

lordofgun
12-30-2003, 03:18 PM
Isn't Crennel a minority?

Yeah. TD really wants to please Tagliabue.

:jk:

Michael82
12-30-2003, 03:19 PM
Patriot's offense is more than screen passes.

It's VERY low scoring and boring. They aren't much better than our offense. They just got a better quarterback.

Earthquake Enyart
12-30-2003, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by Mr. Miyagi
Why is everyone so high on Weis? Do we like the screen pass that much? Drew couldn't pull that off anyway.

I like the cut of his jib. He looks like a football coach.

BTW, log, Weis is the only white guy mentioned. :eek:

The Natrix
12-30-2003, 03:23 PM

It's VERY low scoring and boring. They aren't much better than our offense. They just got a better quarterback.

boring, but it wins games. He does well with what he has. Kind of reminds me of what Gruden has done with the Tampa Bay O.

TedMock
12-30-2003, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by Mr. Miyagi

That's just it. He runs a lot of WR screens now but that wasn't always the case. He adapts to his talent. Not like Gilbride who brings in very good power style players and insists on keeping his finesse style offense. Here's some info on Weis.....

http://flash.patriots.com/team/Personal.sps?biotextid=4343&playerid=515&playertype=2#links

TedMock
12-30-2003, 03:28 PM
Also, I don't think Weis hates Bledsoe. He had a good backup in Brady, no real RB and WR's that fit Brady's style more than Bledsoe's. He was smart enough to know that he could win NOW with Brady rather than wait to pick up a bunch of different WR's and RB's that work well with Drew. Joe Gibbs was famous for the "hogs" in Washington and that great power running game but he was also the offensive mastermind in the pass happy San Diego offense with Winslow, Fouts, Joiner, etc.. He ADAPTED. KG Doesn't adapt. Hell, Gibbs won the SuperBowl with 3 different QB's!

The Natrix
12-30-2003, 03:32 PM
thanks Ted, good info.

There is just something about him - I think the players would like him.

Weiss, Phil Rivers, and Brunell (or Volek) - I would love to see all three in Red, White, and Blue. I think it would make for a very bright future.

justasportsfan
12-30-2003, 03:34 PM
I wonder if TD asked Drew what he thought of Wies and Crennel. :scratch:

RedEyE
12-30-2003, 03:35 PM
Short quick drops is exactly what is needed from Bledsoe. If he has time toi think in the backfield it's all over. Bonus: Weiss' combined usage of RBs Faulk and A. Smith could be comparable to a one two punch from Henry and McGahee. I like his style and think he might prove to be an excellent choice for the job.

The Natrix
12-30-2003, 03:35 PM
I still like Ferentz to

fabolouspaul
12-30-2003, 03:43 PM
Please not GRAY!!!!

lordofgun
12-30-2003, 03:44 PM
Originally posted by fabolouspaul
Please not GRAY!!!!

There's no way in hell.

The_Philster
12-30-2003, 04:01 PM
Originally posted by lordofgun
There's no way in hell.

Well..if it froze over, maybe.

Seriously, I've seen him get a lot of praise for what was accomplished this year but I seriously wonder how well our defense would have performed with Dick LeBeau basically holding Jerry Gray's hand

Mud
12-30-2003, 04:14 PM
How about getting someone with HC experience? It's going to take a while for a OC or DC to get use to being a HC. Your season will be gone next year, IMHO, if that happens. Bring in Jim Fassel.

stuckincincy
12-30-2003, 04:22 PM
Originally posted by Tatonka

exactly.

Maybe, maybe not. Their signature on the game is the most tracable thing, eh?

Novacane
12-30-2003, 04:26 PM

It's VERY low scoring and boring.

Because they have sucky RB's and WR's.

Novacane
12-30-2003, 04:35 PM
Donahoe was on WGR55 this morning and said this same thing. Thats probably where KFFL got thier info. He said he recieved permission last night from the Pats and Rams. He probably interviewing them today. He also said it's only the beginning of the interviews so don't get to worked up about him interviewing Jerrry Grey. I don't think he has a shot in hell either.

helmetguy
12-30-2003, 04:35 PM
If we were rebuilding from the ground up, bringing in a coordinator for his first HC job would be an option. That's what we got when GW was brought in. We're not starting from scratch, so we don't have the luxury of letting the guy grow into the job. Like I said, we just tried that and got 17-31 out of it.

We have 49 guys under contract right now, with a bunch of room under the cap. Pretty good foundation there. Just like we saw with GW, we could have another guy come in here with a ton of enthusiasm and no "street smarts." We lost too many close games with what we have now. "Street Smarts" (experience) would have made a considerable difference.

ArcticWildMan
12-30-2003, 05:23 PM
There was talk earlier this year about Brian Billick being a casualty. Any word on him? He'd be a great fit here in Buffalo!

shelby
12-30-2003, 05:47 PM
No mention of Teddy Cottrell?
:sadwalk:

ArcticWildMan
12-30-2003, 05:49 PM
Ted was shown the door in New Jersey. His window of opportunity has come and gone.

TigerJ
12-30-2003, 09:28 PM
I heard the same four names from a WGR 55 soundbite earlier today. TD was interviewed this morning. He explained the bye week window the Bills had until Friday for the three coordinators from the Rams and Patriots. I think I also heard him mention Jim Fassell, Dennis Green, and Tom Coughlin as possible candidates, though mentioning them doesn't necessarily mean an interview is guarranteed.

My impression of Charlie Weiss is that he seems pretty adaptable to personnel. He does a lot of dink and dunk stuff, screens and the like because he doesn't have a lot of big play guys on the offence. What he's got is a very cool QB who can play a controlled offence, not make a lot of mistakes and put sustained drives together with short passes. Give him credit for designing an offence that works.

Next year Buffalo could potentially have two excellent running backs, a healthy Eric Moulds, maybe another young receiver with some speed or an athletic tight end, and hopefully a better offensive line. Just maybe he could do something with that, or maybe Jim Fassel could do something with that.

BTW, I don't want him as a head coach, but Bill Callahan will be available as an OC. Whaddaya think? He's got WCO background, but he is willing to do more vertical stuff.

The Spaz
12-30-2003, 09:33 PM
Bledsoe isn't a WCO QB. If Bledsoe is gone then yes I would give Callahan a shot at OC.

Turf
12-30-2003, 10:02 PM
I want a bullheaded egotistical bastard to run this team. Hey..I'm available!!!

cordog
12-30-2003, 11:31 PM
Originally posted by Mud
How about getting someone with HC experience? It's going to take a while for a OC or DC to get use to being a HC. Your season will be gone next year, IMHO, if that happens. Bring in Jim Fassel.

It only took Marvin Lewis 1 year to turn around the Bengals. I think all these guys are the real deal, just like Lewis and Fox a couple years ago. I dont think any of us would be *****ing today if we had them even though neither had HC experience.

Gunzlingr
12-30-2003, 11:37 PM
I bet he interviews Father James Jablonski, head coach of St. Ignatius Jr. High before it is all said and done.

The Natrix
12-30-2003, 11:38 PM
Originally posted by TigerJ
What he's got is a very cool QB who can play

I agree. At first I didn't want to agree, but now I agree that Brady is a good QB and Bledsoe is a useless dumb ****

mchurchfie
12-31-2003, 12:18 AM
Low profile coaches again? When is he gonna gun for one that's had HC experience?

Wies in means Drew out? That's bad news for Saviour and co.

I agree....if Charlie Weis comes aboard it will mean the beginning of the end for Drew. Drew couldn't adapt to Weis's offensive scheme of "dink and dunk" in New England so there is no reason to believe it will happen anytime soon. Give me Charlie Weis and an average QB like Tom Brady over Drew anytime...the day of the slow dropback QB has come and gone...bye bye Drew.:church:

The Natrix
12-31-2003, 12:29 AM
Originally posted by mchurchfie

I agree....if Charlie Weis comes aboard it will mean the beginning of the end for Drew. Drew couldn't adapt to Weis's offensive scheme of "dink and dunk" in New England so there is no reason to believe it will happen anytime soon. Give me Charlie Weis and an average QB like Tom Brady over Drew anytime...the day of the slow dropback QB has come and gone...bye bye Drew.:church:

So are you saying I should cheer for the Patsies to win the superbowl AGAIN and Brady be the SB MVP to further CW's confidence that Bledsoe is a farce?

Mr. Cynical
12-31-2003, 01:13 AM
Who cares about who will work with Drew. Get rid of Drew and start clean. Face it, he's washed up. He had time to throw in certain situations throughout the year and STILL missed the targets. That's not the Oline or the scheme. That's burnt out brain and rubber arms.

The Natrix
12-31-2003, 01:17 AM
Originally posted by kal123
Who cares about who will work with Drew. Get rid of Drew and start clean. Face it, he's washed up. He had time to throw in certain situations throughout the year and STILL missed the targets. That's not the Oline or the scheme. That's burnt out brain and rubber arms.

:bf1:

mchurchfie
12-31-2003, 10:35 AM
So are you saying I should cheer for the Patsies to win the superbowl AGAIN and Brady be the SB MVP to further CW's confidence that Bledsoe is a farce?

I am saying that you should cheer for the Patsies because i won $200 on them in the last SB and I will definitely be plunking some more $$ down on them when they make it this year.:up::D

Tatonka
12-31-2003, 05:07 PM
i dont know why you think that all the pats do is dink and dunk.. in case you didnt notice... brady had 4 tds in one half on us just recently.. and only ONE of them was a dink and dunk td.. they have some fast receivers and they get them down the field.. they just have to use some of the short stuff and screens to get their rbs involved.. because they cant run the friggin ball.. those dink and dunks can be equated to a run play for 5 yards.

LABillsFan
01-02-2004, 12:52 AM
I think an OC can make the jump to HC better than a DC. A DC doesn't have to worry about clock management or what play to run on to get yourself into scoring position it is more of a management position. But as far as Weiss goes, his offense is based on Brady, Bledsoe is not Brady and it still is a big chance to take bringing him in and coaching Bledsoe. I'm not sold on the fact he can do it. Fassel, Coughlin maybe but that is based on Bledsoe as the Bills QB for the next 2-3 years. I want to know who the oline and QB coaches are going to be though. Those are the 2 critic positions that will make or break this team.

ublinkwescore
01-02-2004, 01:34 AM

Sorry, but when you say that, the names Mike Shanahan and Dick Vermiel come to mind when you say that - along with Tom Coughlin, and Dennis Green - all of which I'd gladly see here.

They were all fired except for Dick Vermiel - but he came damn close to getting canned in St. Louis until he and Kurt Warner and Marshall Faulk [ut to gether a one year oneder.